PDA

View Full Version : My Bobcat didn't disappoint

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I spent 17hrs in my s250 plowing a major snowstorm that long island received yesterday and last night. In Suffolk we got 20'' of snow with major 3'-5' drifts. My skid performed perfectly. I ran that thing full throttle all night except to fuel up. Two things though, i'll never buy a foot controlled skid again, my knees are killing me. And i feel two inches shorter from being cramped in the cab for that many hours.

These are pics from a big storage facility that we plow. Check out the drifts by the doors, these weren't even the biggest. There's no room for any more snow, so the next storm has to be trucked out. We're expecting another snow event at the end of the week.

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
another pic

mrsops
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Looking good twitchy.. Do you have a bigger snow bucket? And did you get the beacon from bobcat? I need to put them on my machines..

I must say my bobcats went all day and night the last 2 days plowing and moving snow. They held up real good.

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Looking good twitchy.. Do you have a bigger snow bucket? And did you get the beacon from bobcat? I need to put them on my machines..

I must say my bobcats went all day and night the last 2 days plowing and moving snow. They held up real good.
No, just an 80'' bucket (which bobcat gave to me by accident) Today i was looking into 8ft snow pushers online. Kage innovations has a really nice pusher and plow combo. The only problem with that amount of snow being push, sometimes you don't have the traction. Last night's snow had a little ice underneath. I think my father got the beacons for an auto part store, bobcat would rob you for something like that.

mrsops
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
No, just an 80'' bucket (which bobcat gave to me by accident) Today i was looking into 8ft snow pushers online. Kage innovations has a really nice pusher and plow combo. The only problem with that amount of snow being push, sometimes you don't have the traction. Last night's snow had a little ice underneath. I think my father got the beacons for an auto part store, bobcat would rob you for something like that.

big snow buckets are awesome whens theres alot of snow.. But nothing beats a plow when its a few inches

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
big snow buckets are awesome whens theres alot of snow.. But nothing beats a plow when its a few inches
http://www.kageinnovation.com

mudmaker
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Wish we had that much here!!! At least they are calling for a few inches tomorrow night.

I often wondered how running foot controls that long was. I guess at least your feet are moving so maybe they stay warm.

Scaping 4 Life
12-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't mind foot controls until stuff gets underneath them. Good to hear you like bobcat's machines.

bobcat_ron
12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Got to go with pilot controls, you will never go back after that.

AEL
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
How many hours on the 250? looks good.

coopers
12-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Damn I wish we had that snow over here. Looks good.

nedly05
12-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Plowing with a skid is great, make a pass spin around and head back the other way! The thing that I hated with mine was I couldnt get the banks back really, you cant stack that well with them. I would like to try a track machine, the ASV or Cat type for plowing.

Ducati996
12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Front mount blower is in order :) nice rig however :)

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Wish we had that much here!!! At least they are calling for a few inches tomorrow night.

I often wondered how running foot controls that long was. I guess at least your feet are moving so maybe they stay warm.
Running the foot controls aren't bad. A couple hours here and there no big thing, but 17 hrs i was dying. With the heater running i have to keep the windows cracked otherwise it's a hot box.

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't mind foot controls until stuff gets underneath them. Good to hear you like bobcat's machines.
I know that every skid has it's down fall, but Bobcat's service is second to none. If that machine broke down they would bring me another one. Thats why i bought another Bobcat.

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 01:47 PM
How many hours on the 250? looks good.
Thanks man, 140hrs

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Plowing with a skid is great, make a pass spin around and head back the other way! The thing that I hated with mine was I couldnt get the banks back really, you cant stack that well with them. I would like to try a track machine, the ASV or Cat type for plowing.
Nedly05, where are you in the adk mtn? We have a 105 arces in Norway right outside Newport

Sam_French
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Dose that machine have a suspension seat? Good to know the heater works. Is that a bigger chassis than a S205?

mrsops
12-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I know that every skid has it's down fall, but Bobcat's service is second to none. If that machine broke down they would bring me another one. Thats why i bought another Bobcat.

They make a dam good skid steer i dont care what anyone says.. I get good service like that as well twitchy

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Dose that machine have a suspension seat? Good to know the heater works. Is that a bigger chassis than a S205?
Yes it does have a suspension seat and it's the bigger chassis. The heater is too damn hot.

AL Inc
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Nice pics Twitchy..that was a nice storm. You might want to check out Cat for your next skid, I love my 246. Great service from HO Penn, too. We do a commercial property up in Manhasset, we run an 8' pusher box on it. Wish I had some pics but I had my hands full with my route in Huntington.

Twitchy
12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Nice pics Twitchy..that was a nice storm. You might want to check out Cat for your next skid, I love my 246. Great service from HO Penn, too. We do a commercial property up in Manhasset, we run an 8' pusher box on it. Wish I had some pics but I had my hands full with my route in Huntington.
Heard some good and bad about HOPENN. Went there first when i was in the market for a new skid, and waited 20 min for a salesman to get his fat ass off the chair. I left. A good buddy swears by them, but he probably has a million dollars worth of Cat iron. I'm gonna get a 8ft pusher right after the holidays. Where do plow in Huntington? I have a parking lot right by Whitman high school.

punt66
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
no cab heater? Getting the chills just looking at it hahah.

AL Inc
12-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I do residential driveways for my landscaping customers. One small parking lot on 110. Mostly Dix Hills/South Huntington areas. I never really focused much on snow, as my early years in business (mid-late 90's) we didn't get much. The contract with the shopping center has been good so I'm debating about expanding my commercial snow business.
As far as Penn, I bought my machine when things were cranking, and they still treated me great. The thing that really impressed me was an issue I had in 2005, the coupler between trans/motor blew (I learned this was a weak spot on the early Cat skids). The machine was out of warranty and they still did the repair for nothing. I just had to pay to get the machine out there. Machine was only down for about 4 days. They could have really screwed me on that one...
Plus, after using the hand controls on the Cat, you won't want to use a foot control machine again:laugh: I helped my buddy on a job with his New Holland 190, I was miserable:cry:

Twitchy
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
no cab heater? Getting the chills just looking at it hahah.
No, its got heat and a/c, even a radio. No cut corners when i gotta sit in that thing for hours on end. Gotta hook up my sirius radio soon.

westcoh
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Your S250 should be able to handle an 8' pusher easily. I run the 8' Bobcat brand pusher on my s205 and that thing will move some snow. Doesn't scrape as well as a bucket, but if you need to move large amounts of snow over a distance it's great.

mrsops
12-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Your S250 should be able to handle an 8' pusher easily. I run the 8' Bobcat brand pusher on my s205 and that thing will move some snow. Doesn't scrape as well as a bucket, but if you need to move large amounts of snow over a distance it's great.

Westcoh how are you liking the s205? The only thing i dont like about buckets and snows pushers are that they leave a lot of drifts and you do lose a lot of time going back and cleaning up.. But when can you do when there's to much snow you need the buckets

westcoh
12-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm really happy with the 205 so far. It has about 300 hours now and no real issues. How well do those plows on your skids work? Are you able to scrape down to asphalt with them in parking lots with compacted snow? In most of the parking lots I do I need my snow bucket to scrape right down, and then put the skid in 2-speed and use the snow pusher to push the leftover windrows into piles. It works pretty well, but if I could do it all with a plow that'd be nice.

mrsops
12-24-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm really happy with the 205 so far. It has about 300 hours now and no real issues. How well do those plows on your skids work? Are you able to scrape down to asphalt with them in parking lots with compacted snow? In most of the parking lots I do I need my snow bucket to scrape right down, and then put the skid in 2-speed and use the snow pusher to push the leftover windrows into piles. It works pretty well, but if I could do it all with a plow that'd be nice.

The plows work real well on my machines. For the most part i do get down to the asphalt, but when its compacted and its frezzing the buckets will have to go on the machine.

nedly05
12-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Nedly05, where are you in the adk mtn? We have a 105 arces in Norway right outside Newport

I'm in Essex county, where is Norway? Never heard of it.

Twitchy
12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm in Essex county, where is Norway? Never heard of it.
About 20-30 mins out of Herkimer. Crazy snowmobiling, snows almost everyday. And not crowded like Old Forge.

Twitchy
12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I do residential driveways for my landscaping customers. One small parking lot on 110. Mostly Dix Hills/South Huntington areas. I never really focused much on snow, as my early years in business (mid-late 90's) we didn't get much. The contract with the shopping center has been good so I'm debating about expanding my commercial snow business.
As far as Penn, I bought my machine when things were cranking, and they still treated me great. The thing that really impressed me was an issue I had in 2005, the coupler between trans/motor blew (I learned this was a weak spot on the early Cat skids). The machine was out of warranty and they still did the repair for nothing. I just had to pay to get the machine out there. Machine was only down for about 4 days. They could have really screwed me on that one...
Plus, after using the hand controls on the Cat, you won't want to use a foot control machine again:laugh: I helped my buddy on a job with his New Holland 190, I was miserable:cry:
Driveways with that much snow is blood money. We only do about 20 residential driveways and they're automatic plows (even 2 inches). We have 160 lawn accounts and they all come out of the wood work w/ that much snow. The phone doesn't stop ringing, but we can't do them (pawn them off to a buddy). We focus more on the commercial lots that's where the money is.