PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for taking the class B CDL test?

mow king
12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x226/BMFEQUIP/pete.jpg?t=1261454136

I'm taking the test the morning of the 24th, going to use the testing centers 24' box truck with an auto tranny. Not too worried about the actual driving test, pre-trip is really the only thing that might throw me for a loop. Any tips??
Included is a bonus pic of the truck I'm in talks of buying.

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 12:09 AM
You better make sure that if you take a test on a automatic that your not restricted to trucks with automatics only. Here they have that if you take your test on a automatic your not legal to drive a standard.

As for tips take your time and say it out loud what your looking for when your doing the pretrip.

It is hard to describe to do a pretrip because it just comes automatically when you have done it enough. Start with the inside checking if the wipers work, all the dash lights work your window glass is in good shape your seat is securely bolted to the floor. The outside starts look at the headlights do they work the clearance lights check the front bumper is it secured. Tilt the hood check the wheel nuts check the steering linkages, tires. Move down the side of the truck check fuel tanks are they secure grab the mirror are they secure. Checking for loose bolts on the frame the rear wheels check for axle leaks.

If the tester sees your through I don't think you will get picked on.

Hollowellreid
12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah-

Don't bother even going if you aren't going for a class A with at least Air brake endorsement. It sounds harsh, but you will wish you did soon. It's not a whole lot different and the price should be more or less the same.

mow king
12-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I'll be getting my class A in spring time, need a little more seat time. Need a class B for winter work.

Construct'O
12-22-2009, 12:25 AM
You better make sure that if you take a test on a automatic that your not restricted to trucks with automatics only. Here they have that if you take your test on a automatic your not legal to drive a standard.

As for tips take your time and say it out loud what your looking for when your doing the pretrip.

It is hard to describe to do a pretrip because it just comes automatically when you have done it enough. Start with the inside checking if the wipers work, all the dash lights work your window glass is in good shape your seat is securely bolted to the floor. The outside starts look at the headlights do they work the clearance lights check the front bumper is it secured. Tilt the hood check the wheel nuts check the steering linkages, tires. Move down the side of the truck check fuel tanks are they secure grab the mirror are they secure. Checking for loose bolts on the frame the rear wheels check for axle leaks.

If the tester sees your through I don't think you will get picked on.

Don't forget to at least tell them that you need to check the oil and water level.Here don't have to actually check them,but need to tell them that is has to be don't.

GR you failed the pretrip:laugh::usflag:

ioilyouin
12-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Pretrip can be tough. Also don't drive the speed limit. I was docked for it, the official said that I wasn't being cautious. KMA

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 12:44 AM
You can know everything but when it comes to the test and the person giving you the test has their clip board and they are watching you it makes you a litte nervous.

I got my CDL when I was 21, I was sweating like a pig doing the road test.

There are alot of things to remember when your doing your air brakes plus the pretrip etc.

Now it is second nature I can walk by somebodies dump truck and spot things right away. Broken springs or loose wheels or suspension bushings wore out and I can spot that the axles are off. It is really funny when I tell the driver they take the truck to a mechanic sure enough the part I spotted is wore out or broken.

I also pick up on engine rattles, noises that your not supposed to have.

Said to one truck driver it sounds like your fan hub is going it was rattling they said its the water pump. Spent the money on a brandnew water pump made the same sound. Asked did you check the fan hub sure enough it was the fan hub :laugh:

I learned from old timer mechanics they have 30 years or more experience they can teach you lots.

mudmaker
12-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Pretrip!!!!

memorize it right out of the book and walk around talking about everything on the list. Don't rely on your experience and what you have learned through the years. Go by the book!! They are looking for specific answers and those are in the study guide.

ksss
12-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Pretrip!!!!

memorize it right out of the book and walk around talking about everything on the list. Don't rely on your experience and what you have learned through the years. Go by the book!! They are looking for specific answers and those are in the study guide.

This is good advice. Also I agree with the comment on just getting the A. I took the B and then a couple years later, I had to go back and get my A. Also watch for the height and weight restrictions during your driving test. I will garrantee that you will pass over a bridge or under an overpass and they will ask you what the weight or height restriction was.

93turbo
12-22-2009, 03:25 AM
This is good advice. Also I agree with the comment on just getting the A. I took the B and then a couple years later, I had to go back and get my A. Also watch for the height and weight restrictions during your driving test. I will garrantee that you will pass over a bridge or under an overpass and they will ask you what the weight or height restriction was.

Yep did the same thing much easier to just take it once and be done with it. As for the pre trip memorize and practice is about all you can do and don't be afraid to just keep going they don't take away points if you check more then you should only if you fail to check something. It also helps if you go over it on a truck it gets you in a pattern so your less likely to skip over something.

Ground Effects NH
12-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Pretrip!!!!

Oh, yes all the way, my test I not only had to say what I was checking/looking at also had to touch it! If possible.

Barge Man
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
See if you can rent a pre trip video, it is much easier to memorize it watching someone doing it.

jimmyjack
12-22-2009, 04:43 PM
first off thats a sweet looking 359!!! ok i would agree get the class A right off the bat ......i got my class B cause that was at the time the only truck i was able to use at the company i was working at , i wish i had got the A in the first place , seems like every where i have worked since, ive pulled a tag and moved equipment(shhh) .....anyway now with the pre trip the most important part is the air brake test u CANT get any of it wrong , with the inspection part u can miss a few things and still pass, if your not sure if its part of the walk around name it anyway, make sure you keep both hands on the wheel when turning and DONT shift in a turn or intersection( my only points off were i palmed the wheel and grabbed a gear when turning left though a intersection, i had already been driving the truck for months and didnt think about it)....make sure th e truck is legal , you got a fire extinguisher, your triangles and so forth...

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Have somebody show you then you have to show them and they can catch you if you make a mistake. If you don't know all the terms and what the parts are called it might be tough to see what you are looking for.

What the instructor is really wanting to see if if you can spot a loose wheel, you have leaks in the brakes. They want to see that you know that all the lights work the mirrors are not broken etc.

One thing to keep in mind these guys giving you the road test 90% of them only know the book they are not truck drivers.

I can't remember if floating gears is a point against you I think it is. You must have both hands on the wheel.

mow king
12-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Well that easy, missed 2 points on the pre-trip and 1 point on the road test, 100% on the "maneuverability."

Put the deposit down on the 359 I had pictured before. Should be dropped off in Ohio by the first week of 2010.

Omran&Turbo
12-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Congrats Bro, it is always good to beat the DOT LOL

nedly05
12-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Well that easy, missed 2 points on the pre-trip and 1 point on the road test, 100% on the "maneuverability."

Put the deposit down on the 359 I had pictured before. Should be dropped off in Ohio by the first week of 2010.

Congrats! Thats a sweet truck, are you going to make a dump out of it?