PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my truck?

weed wacker 2
12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a bad shake in my truck over 50mph. It shimmies at low speeds but you can really feel it at higher speeds. The tires are brand new and my front end just got aligned not too long ago. Is there a possibility of it being a u joint?

93Chevy
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Anything in the front end is possible. Check your tie rod ends, u-joints, etc. What kind of truck is it? Is it 4wd? If it is, then there's driveshaft and t-case issues to be looked into as well. I'd begin by checking the parts that connect the wheels to the steering sytem: tie rod ends, steering box, etc. Good luck.

JawZZ
12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a bad shake in my truck over 50mph. It shimmies at low speeds but you can really feel it at higher speeds. The tires are brand new and my front end just got aligned not too long ago. Is there a possibility of it being a u joint?

Make, year and model?

Start with the easy stuff.
Make sure your lug nuts are tight.
Could be a bad or unbalanced tire.
Check all steering and suspension components.
Last time I had a u-joint going out it would "clunk" when first taking off.

Lawn Man Dave
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
double check the torque on the lug nuts (make sure they are still tight). Then hack the truck up and grab the tire on each side (one had to the left of the wheel and one to the right) and see if the wheel has any play..... with the steering locked it should not move at all.... if it does have movement look under the truck at the suspension for that wheel and you should be able to see what is moving.

I know ball joints and tie rods tend to shake above like 60mph... the ones I have driven with them bad seem to be ok at low speeds though...

Also make sure the tire is mounted right..... some have an arrow showing direction or rotation... make sure it is not backwards. Also sounds like the wheels may not have been balanced right with the new tires...

blake101
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM

It could also be a slipped belt in your tire. Jack it up and spin your tire and see if you have any lumps on the tread surface.

Let us know what you find out.

KS_Grasscutter
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Bent rim? Mud or snow packed into a rim?

topsites
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Wheel bearings, too.

weed wacker 2
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
The vibration existed when I had the old tires on it. It is a 06 f250 with the 6.0. The vibration goes through the whole truck. You cant feel it in the steering really. It makes the seats and everything else shake. It seems to get worse when I am pulling something.

unkownfl
12-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Its just how they are. Didn't you get the letter from ford about it like 6 months ago. I know I did but I bought my 06 f350 new.

jbturf
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
i vote check the driveshaft

most of those trucks have carrier bearing assy (2 pc rr shaft)
, with a rubber boot that can wear out over time and can lead to
some drive train vibes-- or it could need to be shimmed
to proper angle

weed wacker 2
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
It only has 57k on it.

unkownfl
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
The letter from Ford says that it is due to the nature of it being a commercial intended vehicle also states to check proper tire air pressure and avoid aggressive tread patterns if possible.

TXNSLighting
12-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Now thats not right..My bro in law has a 06 and hasnt had this problem. Im gonna check into this.

STIHL GUY
12-22-2009, 10:40 PM
check if the tires are ballanced. before i got my truck the steering wheel and whole front end would shake at hight speeds. now its fine

unkownfl
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Just a thought your not driving around with the hubs locked or in 4 wheel drive? I think in 4 wheel drive you would notice right away.

weed wacker 2
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I leave my hubs locked in sometimes if its messy and raining for a while. I was told that it wouldn't hurt it.

unkownfl
12-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I leave my hubs locked in sometimes if its messy and raining for a while. I was told that it wouldn't hurt it.

Shouldn't hurt anything if you keep speeds under highway speeds. However, I'm pretty sure both front axles are turning now and this could cause some vibrations at higher speeds.

weed wacker 2
12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
They arent locked in now and it is still is vibrating. I think it maybe a u joint.

unkownfl
12-23-2009, 12:19 AM
If you take it back to the tire shop and tell them your not happy with it. tell them you think they need to go over balancing the tires again they will most likely do it for free. Easy way is to look at the wheels and make sure you have new weights on there and you can see where the old weight were. Some tires need to be put on a certain direction so I would verify that as well. I had my tires rotated on my car once at the dealer with a oil change and one tire came apart. Come to find out they crossed the tires when the rotated and they were directional tires. Another thing I changed my brakes on my F350 drove about 500 miles and could fell a vibration. All the lug nuts were loose one the front passenger wheel. I know I tightened them so I check the other side and sure enough they were just snug not tight.

Gravel Rat
12-23-2009, 12:35 AM
How old are the tires you may have tire squirm it goes away as the tires break in. You said you had it before the new tires thou. Second question you shouldn't be running any less than 65 PSI in the tires. Third question are they E range tires.

Last question when was the last time you had the steering stabilizer changed I would buy a new one and come back to us here with a answer. You will be really surprised with the outcome.

Trucks with monobeam axles like the 4x4s you get some shakes especially if you drive on rutted roads. Heavy trucks make two tire ruts and a truck like a P/U isn't quite wide enough so it doesn't follow in the ruts. You get what you call rut steer it can be pretty un-nerving.

Buy a new heavy duty steering stabilizer.

weed wacker 2
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I took it to a shop today and he thinks it is one of my rear tires.

TXNSLighting
12-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I was about to suggest a tire. I remember my duramax was doing that exact same thing betwee 45-65 mph. I cant believe i forgot about this. It turned out the left rear tire had a bump on it where it was about to explode. Glad i caught it, cuz that would a torn my bed side up if it woulda blew!

JawZZ
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I took it to a shop today and he thinks it is one of my rear tires.

:clapping:

weed wacker 2
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
The problem was the idiots at my local Farmers Co Op put three times too much wait on all 4 tires. I bought the tires back in the summer and had the co op put them on a few weeks ago. I took my truck over to the place I bought them at, thinking I had a tire with a bad belt. They re-balanced them and I was on my way. It drives smoother than cadilac now.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Well that would be a relief. How can somebody put too much tire weights on they must be incompentent idiots :rolleyes: