PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in indianapolis, indiana

LuxuryLawnCare
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello guys just wanting to introduce my self here, names Jason wife is Liz i got 3 beautiful babys amber who is 8,Autumn who Ir almost 2 and my little boy Jack who is 5 months old.We live in indianapolis,Indiana i have just finished buying all my equipment to start our company Luxury Lawn Care this spring.So from our family to yours Hello
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
12-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the site! Any questions just ask.

LuxuryLawnCare
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

LuxuryLawnCare
12-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I was wanting to know when the best time to start doing my advertising such as door hangers and flyers and if anyone has any catchy advertising that does good for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

JayD
12-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Jason......

It looks like your are new to this so let me tell ya, this is a very good site to learn from. Although......let me also warn you that there are some on here who will try to tear you down just because you are new and they are bullies........So take things on here with a grain of salt....Meaning don't let them get to you...I will pm you to tell you more.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Jason,
Welcome, I am a fellow Hoosier myself. Just about anything you want to know is on here. You just have to take the time to look through old threads. If you don't find what you are looking for then start your own thread.

Good luck in your business venture.

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Thank you will do
Posted via Mobile Device

LAWNKC
12-23-2009, 12:29 PM
welcome, im in a similar boat to you. In regards to your questions on advertising, here in midwest I understood late feb. early march is good time to start passing out first round of hangers. and some ideas from what I read say pass to the same areas several different times that way it becomes a familar name to those reading your flyer. as for catchy slogans, one friend of mine used for snow removal the bold heading "name your price" and when people called to ask what that meant he said because not everyone has the same size lot that everyones price varied and as a customer it would not be fair to them to get a quote by phone. many agreed and had him come out and bid them, that was just a good way to get their attention. although that worked for one it may not work for everyone.

best of luck!

LAWNKC
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
just curious if this is your start up, what equipment did your purchase and what reasons did you choose what you did? are there certain services only you will be providing or are you going to include landscape, etc.

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Im looking more into mow and go for my first year and i bought a 48in lesco walk behind and a 44in dixie i may do some mulch to just depending i don't want to take on more then i can chew or low ball at all i will be licensed and insured i have a sub for snow that will give me a ten percent commission for the snow jobs i bring his company there name is Broch snow removal.
Posted via Mobile Device

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I have pretty good potential for commercial work because of my family's other company witch is pretty much one of Indys biggest commercial construction company's i am a project manager for them if a apartment complex needs anything in Indy its us that does it like all new roofs,sideing stuff like that so we stay on the properties for months at a time and i know all the office people and even the owners on a first name bases i have already been told by a few complexes i have mentioned my landscape start up to that i could get there account but i just don't have the capital to get that kinda work done right out the gate but when i do have the capital to grow to that ill be a shoe in from my previous work with the complexes
Posted via Mobile Device

Father&Daughter Lawn care
12-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Im looking more into mow and go for my first year and i bought a 48in lesco walk behind and a 44in dixie i may do some mulch to just depending i don't want to take on more then i can chew or low ball at all i will be licensed and insured i have a sub for snow that will give me a ten percent commission for the snow jobs i bring his company there name is Broch snow removal.
Posted via Mobile Device

What are you referring to when you say licensed?

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Well not positive on that now i just called down town and they say you only need a licence for architectural landscape but i want license of some form it looks good and professional to the client and looks good on the truck also so should i just get the architectural licence?I don't want a scab company with nothing backing them its not professional to me but that's my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

SchnabelLawnCare
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey Jason I'm just 5 minutes from greenwood (near southport and 135). Did you buy that 48" Lesco from craigslist? haha, I was looking at a 48" Lesco from the classifieds.

When you say licensed are you paying taxes then?

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Yes i did buy it on craigslist guy out in martinsville got a really good deal 750 the wheels that came with it i have seen for 250 i really like it no rust and still in good running condition to what's your company if ya don't mind me asking
Posted via Mobile Device

SchnabelLawnCare
12-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Schnabel Lawn Care. 10-15 accounts part-time.

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes tax paying all legal company with not paying taxes and showing a income i could not buy a new house or car or build the credit score up i need to step into the commercial end of the business plus i have 3 kids 2 girls and a boy and there my whole reason for building our company up is to pass it down to them so i better keep it legal for them lol
Posted via Mobile Device

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Good meeting ya i was hoping to get to know some guys from my environment here locally nothing is better for business then communications
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Man Dave
12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Good meeting ya i was hoping to get to know some guys from my environment here locally nothing is better for business then communications
Posted via Mobile Device

In on the south side of Indy, was a foreman for a company that is still around for years and years.... lost track on how many haha... i am about go get back into it on my own, starting the other half of my buisness first that is not lawn related... it should be up in a few months.

Ignoore the guy's on here that want to tear you down....

LuxuryLawnCare
12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
yeah im a project manager right now in the commercial construction field i don't like it at all
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Man Dave
12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah im a project manager right now in the commercial construction field i don't like it at all
Posted via Mobile Device

One word of advice... don't jump into this full time....

SchnabelLawnCare
12-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes i did buy it on craigslist guy out in martinsville got a really good deal 750 the wheels that came with it i have seen for 250 i really like it no rust and still in good running condition to what's your company if ya don't mind me asking
Posted via Mobile Device

I was trying to find out if its the same one that I was looking at because I was about to buy it lol. I just remembered that was a 52" lesco.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Welcome and best of luck in your new venture. Just keep in mind, mowing is your lost leader to get on the property. Upsell is the only way to make it in this business. If you do things right you can make some great money in this business.

James