PDA

View Full Version : If im a solo guy do what do and dont i need?

buffalonick
12-23-2009, 03:34 AM
I am living in New York and have a curent DBA, just applied for my taxing permit and will have insurance come spring. What else do i need if im solo, no employees? Do i need workers comp for myself? I am unsure on everything if i am a solo business?

SangerLawn
12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
In most states (not sure about new york) you do not have to have workman’s comp on yourself HOWEVER it is illegal to do commercial property without workman’s comp on every person working including yourself.

BearWise Landscapers
01-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Buffalo Nick,

You are not required to carry workers' compensation insurance if you do not have employees. But if you are thinking about hiring even one part-time employee, I recommend that you check with a local insurance agent to discuss the state laws and prices to get workers comp coverage. Workers' compensation insurance varies in each state since every state mandates their own workers compensation regulations. Some state like Texas don't require workers comp regardless of your number of employees and some require it even if you have one employee, especially in the construction classifications. Here is an article about the workers' compensation requirements in Florida for landscaping businesses (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2008/when-need-florida-workers-comp/).

Let me know if I can answer any other business insurance questions for you.

Good luck with your business and happy new year!

MarcSmith
01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
patience.

doing the physical labor aspect of the job is the easiest part of running a business. running the paper side of the business is much much harder and challenging. Spend the money on QB or some similar accounting/invoicing program. No excel or MS Access doesn't count...

always know what jobs you are making/loosing money on..

communicate- to your clients....if you are getting behind don't be afraid to let your customers know that you are running late.

communicate- to your family that there will be times that you will be irritable or that when you are working on your billing or in the office that you are "AT work" and don't need the piddly little disruptions.

plan- for down time. add a little fluff in each days schedule to account for the broken belt, running low on fuel, blade changes, oil changes, or other life little challenges...

no- don't be afraid to say it...

Late- don't be....don't let your customers be

Rain- it will happen...don't stay home and be lazy. use it as a planned maintenance day or a day to get billing done, or to run and get needed supplies...wash the equipment...ect...

PM- do it, don't skip or scrimp. the equipment you use pays your salary. take care of it..

$$-- save... set up separate accounts. set aside some every month for future equipment purchases..don't over extend yourself. set aside money for the slow months...

interest rates- watch em and be care on the credit cards. don't spend more than you can pay back...

BearWise Landscapers
01-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Great advice from Marc. I also recommend doing what you are doing and picking the brains of other business owners. You should even check out the American Lawn Maintenance Association. They have a free membership to their educational videos on their website (www.ALMAnow.com (http://www.ALMAnow.com)).

buffalonick
01-05-2010, 12:58 AM
I was looking at quick books, it seems like a great program and easy to use, i love that you can charge credit cards through QB. Which edition do you guys use?

pararest
01-05-2010, 03:05 AM
We use Quick books 2008 or 2009 I'm not sure which one (book keepers job) but it works great. We except all major credit cards and its ran right through QB. It is very seemless in fact we have many of our monthly clients on auto pay. We just run their card each month at the proper time.

I would highly recommend quick books for a start up company.

Micah Owner
Paradise Restored
Portland Landscaper (http://www.paradiserestored.com)
Water Features Portland (http://www.paradiserestored.com/images/WaterFeatures/water%20features-portland.html)

barko4
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
:clapping:patience.

doing the physical labor aspect of the job is the easiest part of running a business. running the paper side of the business is much much harder and challenging. Spend the money on QB or some similar accounting/invoicing program. No excel or MS Access doesn't count...

always know what jobs you are making/loosing money on..

communicate- to your clients....if you are getting behind don't be afraid to let your customers know that you are running late.

communicate- to your family that there will be times that you will be irritable or that when you are working on your billing or in the office that you are "AT work" and don't need the piddly little disruptions.

plan- for down time. add a little fluff in each days schedule to account for the broken belt, running low on fuel, blade changes, oil changes, or other life little challenges...

no- don't be afraid to say it...

Late- don't be....don't let your customers be

Rain- it will happen...don't stay home and be lazy. use it as a planned maintenance day or a day to get billing done, or to run and get needed supplies...wash the equipment...ect...

PM- do it, don't skip or scrimp. the equipment you use pays your salary. take care of it..

$$-- save... set up separate accounts. set aside some every month for future equipment purchases..don't over extend yourself. set aside money for the slow months...

interest rates- watch em and be care on the credit cards. don't spend more than you can pay back...