PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the business

lwoods
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I am thinking of getting into this business in Texas. I currently make around 70K per year but I am in fear of a layoff after the first of the year. Is it possible to make that kind of money in this industry. I am currently trying to obtain some startup capital for this venture but it has been pretty tough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

coolluv
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
You can make $70k after you spend $200k to $300k and have been in business for at least 5 years, and your gross income is in the 2 to 3 million range. Buying a trailer and a couple of used mowers and putting out some fliers and door hangers will get you maybe $10 to $20k your first year. Second year you may be up to $30k if your lucky. That's gross not net by the way.

Depends on your location, the amount of illegals in your area. The amount of people laid off in your area. Your own drive, the amount of money you can spend for advertising.

Can a blind squirrel find a nut, yeah once in a while.

Can you make $70k? Maybe, but don't think it will be easy and don't think its going to happen in a year or two. Don't believe the bull that gets thrown around here daily, most of these guys are young kids and the rest are just making ends meet. This isn't the best business to get into, you need to do alot more than cut grass to make any real money, and that takes boo koo Denero.

I would look at other ways to make a living if I were you. This business is saturated with so called landscapers and illegals, if you don't believe me well come on in the waters fine!

Dave...

lwoods
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

Lance

Father&Daughter Lawn care
12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Can you make $70k? Maybe, but don't think it will be easy and don't think its going to happen in a year or two. Don't believe the bull that gets thrown around here daily, most of these guys are young kids and the rest are just making ends meet. This isn't the best business to get into, you need to do alot more than cut grass to make any real money, and that takes boo koo Denero.

Dave...

Thats right. You can make some decent money at this but you have to spend to make.

lwoods
12-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Anyone else?

Lawn Man Dave
12-23-2009, 05:46 PM
It is the rule for any buisness... you have to spend it to make it.... if you gross 2-3mill and olny make 70k you must be putting A LOT into savings.........., 6 figure range would be more accurate with grossing in the mil range but it does take a while to build it..... the smart guys start out part-time then go from there.

In TX I am sure there is illegal's all over.... more then up here and I am sure it will be harder to compete then in most states.....

delphied
12-23-2009, 06:02 PM
This is a good part time job. I lied. Its not even a good part time job.

Lawn Man Dave
12-23-2009, 06:07 PM
This is a good part time job. I lied. Its not even a good part time job.

If it was me I would get a nice snowblower and offer to do peoples driveways for like $20 with the snow coming....... there is a kid in my neighborhood that does it and I am sure does pretty well. THat will get income coming in untill summer comes.

DoetschOutdoor
12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
There are plenty of well established families around here that own lawn co's, some small and some fairly large. There are 4 other co's in my storage units alone that net 70k or more, but they are established guys all in business for 5,10, 15 years...can make decent money but definately not overnight.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I bought a medium size snowblower the other day on Craigslist. I got it for $65 and it runs well. I wanted a bigger one but I thought I can easily make my money back at $60 and after that it's all good. If it last just this season that's OK. I know that come spring I can get a better one at a really good price. It's all about overhead.

thu cutting edge
12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
you can make great money. but you have to know what ur doing. if your not an experienced horticulturalist, then all your going to do is mow res. to get good money you have to be able to be a one stop show. snow, prune, landscape, ipm, etc. now you will pick things up as you go. and the best of luck to you.

Kutz Lawns
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
You can get burned out real quick trying to make that kinda money!

Stay with a real job with benefits and retirement!

lwoods
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks to everyone who commented!!!

PMLAWN
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
The question you need to ask yourself-- can I live on 20K a year for a year or so. My guess is you do not have any real equipment to do the job. Or just homeowner stuff.
Do your own math,
what do people pay for cuttings ------ Maybe 35$
How quick can I get all the accounts I need. What is the need.
What will I need to buy and what will it cost
How much will it cost to run all the equipment, Gas and Maintanence
Where will I park it all
What will it cost to advertize
cost to start up the business
Cost of insurance, taxes
How much time to just "run" the business side of it all
Is my body up to this work
Just a quick math work up
35 a yard and you get all the yards right away lets say 60 for 12 a day
and lets say you can cut 45 times a year (not sure your area)
35 x 60 x 45 = wow you can make $94,500.00 your first year
But wait Taxes can cut 20-30% of that= say 25%= You are still at $70,875.00
(I know about deductions but stay with me)
it cost 20K to get the equipment== now $50,875.00 2 grand to advertize
$48,875.00 6 grand in gas $42,875.00 2 grand in insurance$40,875.00
5 grand in maintenance, parts, blades, oil, belts, trimmer line, $35,875.00
and another 5 grand in fees, lic, office equipment, ink, paper, storage.
So if you start with a full list of accounts (will not happen) you can make right around 30 K your first year, 2nd will be better because you now have equipment so add another 20K to Net so maybe around 50K but again only with a full account list. These number are just guesses, you need to do your own searching for your numbers.
Or spend some time on Monster.