PDA

View Full Version : Unique Augusta Golf Pin Fixtures

JimLewis
12-23-2009, 02:46 PM
So we might be installing a putting green for a client. And I was over at the local Synlawn showroom in town talking to the owner and I was telling him I was really interested in installing the Unique "Augusta" Light fixtures (see photo below) into the putting green. I love the effect it has. He said he doesn't recommend them because of previous bad experience with them.

Specifically, the problem was that once you got them set into the ground (compacted gravel is the base for golf putting greens) and then compacted the gravel around the fixture, there was massive pressure against the walls of the fixture. And this pressure made it so that it was just about impossible to reach inside the ficture and turn the part that is supposed to move so you can remove the lamp. They said they had to work for HOURS to finally get the inside part of the fixture to come out so they could replace the lamp. Then, they had to saw off these little parts that are sticking out from the wall (for alignment) just to get it so they could put the lamps back in and be able to remove them next time.

Sounds like a major PITA to me. So he's just about talked me out of installing these. But I wanted to post a message here and see if any of you know if this is something Unique has fixed now or if you have experienced the same problems.

I'd love some feedback. Thanks.

JimLewis
12-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry, here's the photo.....

http://www.uniquelighting.com/application_photos/augusta.jpg

JoeyD
12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Jim, thats the first I have ever heard of that problem. If you had that fear you could always put a sleeve of PVC around the cup but we have never had anyone contact us with that issue. Not to say it couldnt happen but at this time it doesnt apper to be an issue? Try putting a sleeve around the cup...let me know if you need anything!

JimLewis
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, it's apparently enough of a problem that Synlawn of Oregon is telling all the local landscape contractors who install their synthetic turf not to use the Unique Augustas anymore. I think it would be a good idea for SynLawn to look into this and maybe call some of the big synthetic turf companies around and see if they are experiencing a similar problem. If someone was telling people NOT to use Lewis Landscape Services, I'd consider that a problem and would want to do everything I could to rectify that situation.

I am not sure how installing a sleeve around it would help. Seems to me that the gravel compacted around the fixture is what keeps it in place - keeps it from moving around. I think it would be key that the cup and pin not ever move in a putting green, wouldn't it? If it was in a sleeve - unless the inner diameter of the sleeve is almost the exact same size as the outer diameter of your fixture - then there would be movement. The cup would not be secure.

BrandonV
12-23-2009, 07:02 PM
sleeve idea sounds good to me even if you have to get one made for it. you could maybe use sand or something to tighten the fixture in the sleeve.

S&MLL
12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
We have put in about 10-12 of them.... No real issues. Relamping is not a pita. Plus the circut is on an abt system since its only turned on when being used. So lamps thend to last a long time.

Gerry at terradek has a great price on them

JimLewis
12-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, I've never shopped there before, so I don't have an account set up yet. I requested one just now but I guess I'll have to wait to get approved to see the contractor pricing.

Can I ask what price you saw for those fixtures there? I got a price at my local distributorship here in town. But I only get 42% off retail. So they were still pretty expensive. Retail is almost $500 for these. ;)

S&MLL
12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
jim you can pm me about it.

but please refrain from posting contractor pricing or discounts please.... this is a puplic forum
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyD
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Jim were they saying that the gravel was getting into the sleeve and causing the cup and sleeve to seize up or were they saying that the gravel surrounding the sleeve was being packed so that it made the cup impossible to come out?

I ask becuase when we first released the Augusta's a couple years back there was an initial shipment that sen the cups without a plug. We learned after futher testing that gravel could fall inbetween the cup and sleeve during install causing the cup to bind up or seize thus requiring a pressure washer and other means to clean it out to remove the cup and light. Once we discovered this issue we began including a foam plug to remain installed throught he laying of the base and green to prevent the gravel from doing this.

Other than that we have not heard of any problem relating to the Augusta's. The sleeve idea came from a local synthetic lawn company. They actually use a very thin peice of plastic and wrap the cup in it. The only problem is our cups are tapered to prevent the cups from being pushed up out of the ground so removing the entire sleeve is still very difficult.

I will look into touching base with Synlawn of Oregon to discuss with them.