PDA

View Full Version : Problems, problems, problems

TexasFire221
12-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Well if yall have read my other threads about my dream clients that I was worried about not paying, the plot thickens. Tonight the kiddos and wife are at church singing Christmas carols. I decide to drive out and make sure all their lights are in order before she heads into town. She hasnt seen anything yet since she lives out of town. They live in the middle of about 200 acres, so as im driving up the road I notice the light links arent on. There was a total of 67 LL's and not a single one is lit. I first make it to the starbursts (10 total) and gift boxes (4 total) all but one is lit, easy fix. She also has 6 LED noel wreaths on the windows. The all the windows have wood shutters that they lock down then the wind is blowing, by the way they live on top of a huge hill so the wind is always blowing up there. Today we had snow, yes strange for Texas, and the wind gusts up to 50, so probably close to 65 on the hill. Some of the latches for the shutters have ripped out of the limestone and are beating her wreaths to death. One of the shutters has fallen about and fell onto her garland around the door, which of course wasnt on. I take down the wreaths and proceed to the back of the house to check on the timer for the Light Links. I check the timer, nothing. So I plug it directly into the plug, nothing. Well I walk around the house to check and there are about 20 of the brand new LED Light Links laying on the ground. Im heartbroke. Its already dark, the wind is blowing like crazy and its about 20 degrees. Im sure there are some broke but nothing I can do on Christmas Eve. Well I call the property manager to let him know about the shutters because they are going to beat the windows until they break but he doesnt answer. As much as I didnt want to I have to call the owner. The other day when I talked to her she was super busy and didnt have time to talk to me so I was preparing myself for the earfull she was going to give me for calling her Christmas Eve. I call and she is super polite, she tells me thank you very much for letting me know and wishes me Merry Christmas. Guess I will be re-hanging lights on Sunday so it looks nice when she gets into town.

David Gretzmier
12-24-2009, 08:06 PM
we will be working Saturday and sunday taking down lights and fixing those that call tonight and tomorrow. My heart is with you, I have fixed stuff as late as 8pm on Christmas Eve pasts. but at least she is not there to see it, and you can make it all good before she gets there.

good luck and merry Christmas, dave g

Tq23
12-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I was just wondering, since the damage was caused by the high winds, is that part of a basic service call, or a billable service call?

addictedtolandscaping
12-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I have treated them all as basic service calls. I have had them come right off the gable clips this year as well due to the wind.

Lite4
12-29-2009, 07:02 AM
I spent about 2 days picking up light links off the ground this year due to 50+ mph winds. It really sucked and was very disheartening. I have no idea how anyone can make money doing Christmas lights with the time it takes to hang, pull down, service and fix things. If I had this many problems with landscape lighting I would hang it up. I don't think we will be doing Christmas lighting next year. It is just way too much of a pain in the neck for too little money.

addictedtolandscaping
12-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow. Fortunately mine with the tape on the plugs held together. They actually flipped right up onto the roof. I would imagine that I will be hearing from some today as the wind here is screaming!!!

TexasFire221
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Well we spent 2.5 hours rehanging and fixing the light links on Saturday. Luckily the home owner has yet to see the lights or the problem we had with the wind. She is suppose to be in town today or tomorrow. Hopefully today cause I would love to get paid. But we will see.

turf hokie
12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
We lost links off a roof 2 years ago, but that was before HBL had the "gripper" shingle tabs, the ones with the ribs on them.

I have never had one flip up tho, wow, we have had awful wind here, 40-50 MPH. Everything we fixed yesterday is gonna need another look tomorrow.

David Gretzmier
12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I would say that HBL had those 3 seasons ago, but maybe I am mistaken. I also use medium black binder clips in addition to, or on top of the gripper clips, in many cases they save our clips from sliding and they are great for clipping cords out of the way for a clean install.

NY Landscape Lighting
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
We had 2 flip up this year, one this weekend. We have been even wiring the links to the clips as they lift off the hooks sometimes. David, we met this year at the HBL convention, how are you. Where are you getting the black binder clips.
Thanks,
Chris

addictedtolandscaping
12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Chris I have been doing the same thing, the galvanized fence wire I use for wreaths and garland, will know more tomorrow how that has held up. Dave mentioned in another thread about staples etc. for the binder clips.

David Gretzmier
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
we get the binder clips from various sources. you can get them from staples, office depot, etc, any big office supply place has them in bulk. should be around 10 cents each or so. I have also bought them on ebay for cheaper when you get lucky and someone has a few thousand they are auctioning off.

I wish I could remember you, I meet 50-60 folks at convention and then my mind goes blank. I remember the ...giavanni? gianni? guys from new york, but that is about it. hope your season went great and I should be at convention this year. I may even be speaking, acording to Mike Marlow. we'll see.

britelights
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Last year we had a couple houses with high peaks where the links were lifted up off the clips onto the roof. This year we used 3 clips per light link on every peak -- regardless of how high the house. A clip at the end, one in the middle, and one on the other end. And we had some pretty good winds this season...but NO calls for links blown off or flipped on the roof.

TexasFire221
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Something will have to be done different next season with this house. I have put up the lights twice already and they are dangling again. I have never had an issue like this before. Thank god the owners are back in Houston.

britelights
01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Is it a shingled roof? Are the shingles loose? We had that problem on a gazebo for the City --- with C-9s though. Roof was very old and in bad shape...but it was a small gazebo and we were able to get them to replace the roof. David has suggested binder clips in some situations --- might work here???