PDA

View Full Version : What to do when places ask for donations?

buffalonick
12-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi this will be my first year in the biz and my mom who works for a church/ adult day health center (daycare for old ppl) is having an auction to benefit a church trip to new orleans. I know many potential clients will be there, older ppl, home owners, and all in an a middle income neighborhood. I figure this will be a great way to get my name out there and get some accounts. Hopefully down the line i will mow or plow for this church...so this will show some good faith. But what should i donate? I know it will be a gift certificate towards service but how much and for what? I offer landscaping and lawncare!

JB1
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
it doesn't matter, anything you donate is appreciated.

jeffslawnservice
12-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I recently did a leaf pick up for my church. The boy scouts raked the leaves and got them into a pile and they just sat there for about a month. I saw them and asked the pastor if he would like me to remove them free of charge. He said yes and said that he would put a thank you in the weekly bulletin for me. If i gets me more work great, if not who cares Its my church I can't charge them.

mowerbrad
12-25-2009, 10:36 PM
You could donate a couple weeks worth of free lawn mowing, just a basic service that won't take too much time. I always try to get involved in my community, it gets my name out there. I don't do much with churches, but more with high school athletics and a few other things throughout the community.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
12-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I always donate 3 yrds of mulch installed. It's all about getting your work out there for people to talk about. Great word of mouth advertising. But anything donated will be greatly appreciated.

James

Landscape Poet
12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Suggest that they hold a raffel for 6 months worth of full service. It will bring in a larger amount of money for ur church and a even larger amount of potential customers for you. Cheap advertisment to the correct potwential customers. If they are willing to buy a $20 ticket you know that they are serious about getting lawn care. This will cost u less than a yellow book add and get you better client exposure
Posted via Mobile Device

DiscoDave
12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Suggest that they hold a raffel for 6 months worth of full service. It will bring in a larger amount of money for ur church and a even larger amount of potential customers for you. Cheap advertisment to the correct potwential customers. If they are willing to buy a $20 ticket you know that they are serious about getting lawn care. This will cost u less than a yellow book add and get you better client exposure
Posted via Mobile Device

I like this raffle idea.

I have donated to charitable auctions for churches with mixed results as far as any new business is concerned. But, that is not what it is all about anyway.

My company is a big donor to the March of Dimes. This year we are also going to donate to an Autism charity. My son was recently diagnosed with Autism.

sehitchman
12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I know I've said this before, but never give away for free what you do for a living. At the most, offer a buy one get one mow deal. Use your credit card points to purchase a few gift cards, and donate them. That way, no $ out of pocket. If you use AMEX you can get gift cards using your points. and add your business name on them for the advertising. They show as a "Gift from your business name". Go to the local oil change place and when you are attempting to trade out service for lube, ask about gift card exchange. That way every time the soccer club, little league, boy scouts, yearbook etc. asks, you always have something in your wallet to give.

buffalonick
12-28-2009, 01:20 AM
I was thinking like two seperate gift certificates, one for $200 towards a seasonal contract of mowing and one for say $100 towards any landscape service.

bohiaa
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
LMAO, doing a raffle is troublesome and you had better know your local laws before doing it.

we do a ton of "SO-CALLED" donation work. the tax break is wonderfull.

buffalonick
12-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Yea i dont like the idea of an auction but will prob donate a few gift certificates to them, they will be put in a Chinese auction.