PDA

View Full Version : To diesel or not to diesel?

barney14
12-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Towing a 20ft tandem trailer in summer and plowing in winter. Is the extra cost and maintenance of a diesel worth it? :canadaflag:

STIHL GUY
12-25-2009, 12:30 PM
for all that towing a diesel would be well worth it

Greenboy24
12-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I won't be getting a gasser for work ever again...so yes its def worht it

DuallyVette
12-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd buy even buy a diesel corvette if they made one :)....So YES

stevenf
12-25-2009, 03:02 PM
My next truck will be a diesel. I have a 1/2 ton right now and a 16ft trailer. I get about 10mpg and the truck struggles when that trailer is loaded down with mulch.

Junior M
12-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I'd buy even buy a diesel corvette if they made one :)....So YES
same here. :drinkup:

PLS-Tx
12-25-2009, 03:34 PM
We pull a 8.5x20 enclosed with a 6.7 Cummins, can't tell the trailer is back there.

Is your trailer open or enclosed?

MikeTA95
12-25-2009, 03:49 PM
my 06 silverado 5.3 gasser is a great truck until I put some weight behind it. I'm keeping that truck until I can afford a diesel, then I never plan on going back to gas. If your pulling a trailer or anything you really need a diesel.

integrityman
12-25-2009, 04:04 PM
My next truck will be a diesel. I have a 1/2 ton right now and a 16ft trailer. I get about 10mpg and the truck struggles when that trailer is loaded down with mulch.

me too.... will look at used.... but will be an oil burner.

PLS-Tx
12-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I just wish the new diesels didn't have all the emissions junk on them. :cry:

barney14
12-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Open trailer for now but considering the benefits of enclosed.

Glenn Lawn Care
12-25-2009, 05:49 PM
i love diesels!

TYCINC
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I just wish the new diesels didn't have all the emissions junk on them. :cry:

That really has been the downfall of the new generation of diesel engines. . .

SNAPPER MAN
12-25-2009, 06:43 PM
That really has been the downfall of the new generation of diesel engines. . .

I agree and disagree. I have a 09 F-250 with the 6.4L PSD and love it. Ya it ain't no 7.3 but it is a damn good engine. Has a ton of torque and gets ok millage.

PLS-Tx
12-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Open trailer for now but considering the benefits of enclosed.

We went with an enclosed about 4 years ago, after several years of having open.

There are a few cons to having an enclosed, but the pros outweigh the cons.

We would never want to go back to a open trailer again.

We still have the open 16', we put 4' plywood sides on it, now it's our debris trailer.

The enclosed is what we pull and work out of day in and day out. It's been great.

Rolling billboard, lots of space to put everything. If it starts raining we just load up shut the ramp and everything stays dry.

Best part is no more looking for a place to go. :laugh::laugh:

mowerbrad
12-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Right now I have a GM 6.5L diesel. It isn't as powerful as the diesel engines of today but it does fine. I really like having the diesel. I do mostly city driving so I never get the best mileage, about 14mpg in the city empty and about 12-13mpg while towing. Highway, I am getting around 18-19mpg at 70mph. I have never owned a gas truck so I can't do much of a comparison between the two.

I can tell you that it is alot of money to own and maintain a diesel. I think I spend about $1000-$2000 per year on average. Just recently I spent about $3000 on some more major repairs, but that is the most I have ever spent on the truck yet.

igotdiesel2
12-26-2009, 12:44 AM
I would recommend a diesel in a second. A 20ft trailer can haul a lot of weight. If you load it down you need to move it. My 2001 2500 gets 17MPH pulling my 16 ft enclosed. 23 MPH on the highway not pulling anything. If I were you I would look into a 02 to 06 used 1 ton. Mileage might be higher that you like but a Cummins Diesel is not supposed to be tore down till 350,000 miles. Maintenance is higher kinda. For instance I change my oil once a year. I put about 17,000 miles a year on mine. I run AMSOIL in every part of the truck that is wet and keep the fluids up. Change the fuel filter 3 to 4 times a year and the tranny filter once a year. I have owned mine for 9 years now with no major problems. Take care of them and diesels will pay you back in spades. -Jason

DuallyVette
12-26-2009, 12:49 AM
The 6.5 diesel is a pretty good motor, but it does have it's problems. Doing some research at DieselPlace.com can save you a lot of money. They vibrate more than newer diesels. My 1984 6.5 couldn't keep an alternator belt or powersteering belt on it very long. I just put the 3rd starter on my 1996 3500HD dump truck last week. It only has 90,000 miles on it (I have a lifetime warranty (NAPA) on the starter @$300.00) The Duramaxes I have were pretty trouble free.

Junior M
12-26-2009, 12:49 AM
I would recommend a diesel in a second. A 20ft trailer can haul a lot of weight. If you load it down you need to move it. My 2001 2500 gets 17MPH pulling my 16 ft enclosed. 23 MPH on the highway not pulling anything. If I were you I would look into a 02 to 06 used 1 ton. Mileage might be higher that you like but a Cummins Diesel is not supposed to be tore down till 350,000 miles. Maintenance is higher kinda. For instance I change my oil once a year. I put about 17,000 miles a year on mine. I run AMSOIL in every part of the truck that is wet and keep the fluids up. Change the fuel filter 3 to 4 times a year and the tranny filter once a year. I have owned mine for 9 years now with no major problems. Take care of them and diesels will pay you back in spades. -Jason
had 2 04 Dodge 3500's owned by a car hauling company in the shop for a while. Both had cummins of course, one had 400,000 miles. It was in for a rebuild, it was just tired. The other truck had 350,000. Still running strong but it was over revved.. :hammerhead:

They are definetly some awesome trucks, imo if you take care of them.

T-minus 14hours before GR chirps in..

rcslawncare
12-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Diesels are nice, but you could consider a gas. Just depends on what you want to pull. If you doing mulch or landscaping with rock, a diesel might be the way to go, but pulling a couple of z's and some handhelds around, a decent size gas should be okay. I have the 8.1 496 in my GMC and it can pull whatever I need it too, but its not as easy on fuel. I don't mind 12 mpg overall, so it works for me. I would think about the ups and downs hard before jumping into a diesel, unless thats what you want or more importantly need. Some people are just addicted to the smoke!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Mowerbrad, how much does your trailer weigh that you pull around during the season? A buddy of mine has a 6.5 dually and is saying he's only getting 8mpg pulling 8000 lbs...

mowerbrad
12-26-2009, 11:32 AM
The 6.5 diesel is a pretty good motor, but it does have it's problems. Doing some research at DieselPlace.com can save you a lot of money. They vibrate more than newer diesels. My 1984 6.5 couldn't keep an alternator belt or powersteering belt on it very long. I just put the 3rd starter on my 1996 3500HD dump truck last week. It only has 90,000 miles on it (I have a lifetime warranty (NAPA) on the starter @$300.00) The Duramaxes I have were pretty trouble free.

The 6.5's are notorious for going through fuel injection pumps which aren't cheap. Just the pump alone runs almost $1000. I know some people have only got 45000 miles out of their fuel injection pump before they needed to replace it. GM's 6.5 is much better than their 6.2's but not as good as the duramax.

Mowerbrad, how much does your trailer weigh that you pull around during the season? A buddy of mine has a 6.5 dually and is saying he's only getting 8mpg pulling 8000 lbs...

You do have to remember that a 3500 dually will change the mileage compared to a 2500 SRW. I usually tow 1 ztr, 1 21", few handhelds and some grass on my 14ft trailer. I would say that on a typical day I am towing right around 4000lbs. But even when I am have a full trailer of grass/leaves with a ztr, I would say I am probably pulling 6000-6500lbs. I also have a 2000lbs service body on my truck which doesn't help my mileage. But over the past year I have started to use a fuel additive. I use power service diesel kleen. It is supposed to increase my fuel economy by up to 8%. I went from just 12mpg to 14mpg (city) after I started to use it.

igotdiesel2
12-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Some people are just addicted to the smoke!

No truer words were ever typed. It is VERY addicting. I have the bug for sure. -Jason

DuallyVette
12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
The 6.5's are notorious for going through fuel injection pumps which aren't cheap. Just the pump alone runs almost $1000. I know some people have only got 45000 miles out of their fuel injection pump before they needed to replace it. GM's 6.5 is much better than their 6.2's but not as good as the duramax.

There are ways to make some things last longer. Check around on www.dieselplace.com

Junior M
12-26-2009, 12:26 PM

You do have to remember that a 3500 dually will change the mileage compared to a 2500 SRW. I usually tow 1 ztr, 1 21", few handhelds and some grass on my 14ft trailer. I would say that on a typical day I am towing right around 4000lbs. But even when I am have a full trailer of grass/leaves with a ztr, I would say I am probably pulling 6000-6500lbs. I also have a 2000lbs service body on my truck which doesn't help my mileage. But over the past year I have started to use a fuel additive. I use power service diesel kleen. It is supposed to increase my fuel economy by up to 8%. I went from just 12mpg to 14mpg (city) after I started to use it.
I was trying to buy a 1994 one ton reg cab 6.5, the injection pump had went out on it and the guy that replaced it did something to it and couldnt get it to run all that well. So I passed it up..

but the 6.5 overall isnt a bad motor, but it isnt a powerhouse compared to the 5.9 or even the 6.6 duramax. Atleast not my experience with them.

mowerbrad
12-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I was trying to buy a 1994 one ton reg cab 6.5, the injection pump had went out on it and the guy that replaced it did something to it and couldnt get it to run all that well. So I passed it up..

but the 6.5 overall isnt a bad motor, but it isnt a powerhouse compared to the 5.9 or even the 6.6 duramax. Atleast not my experience with them.

Your right the 6.5 is not a powerhouse. I would say that the 6.5 engine is comparable to a 5.3L V8 gas engines of today. The 6.5's don't nearly the mods/chips available that the other diesel engines do, so adding power to it does become expensive. I know my new PMD added a little power but it came at a price. I have been pretty lucky since my mechanic knows everything there is to know about te 6.5's.

rcslawncare
12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
No truer words were ever typed. It is VERY addicting. I have the bug for sure. -Jason

Although I can not justify a diesel truck, I seem to find myself smiling every time some one gets on there diesel and the soot rolls out! And the saying, "just cause it smokes, don't mean its broke" is great!!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-26-2009, 07:49 PM
So do you think the 6.5 dually would get better than 8mpg pullin 8000 lbs? That buddy of mine w/ the 6.5 and I are goin down to Oklahoma in March to race motocross and taking my toy hauler which will weigh (with what were bringing) right around 8000 lbs at max plus a 100 gallon water tank in the back of the truck and possibly his other 100 gal tank, and I'm trying to estimate fuel costs with mpg's, we won't travel over 65 mph because when you're towing a load it's not good for the trailer wheel bearings to go any faster than that.

mowerbrad
12-26-2009, 08:15 PM
So do you think the 6.5 dually would get better than 8mpg pullin 8000 lbs? That buddy of mine w/ the 6.5 and I are goin down to Oklahoma in March to race motocross and taking my toy hauler which will weigh (with what were bringing) right around 8000 lbs at max plus a 100 gallon water tank in the back of the truck and possibly his other 100 gal tank, and I'm trying to estimate fuel costs with mpg's, we won't travel over 65 mph because when you're towing a load it's not good for the trailer wheel bearings to go any faster than that.

So your looking at 1600lbs of water plus the weight of the trailer and the stuff in it at 8000lbs. I would not expect to get much mpg's out of that. I really recommend that you get some type of additive to try and increase your mpg's. I would suggest power service, the one that comes in the gray bottle, you can get it at most auto part stores and I know for sure wal-mart.

But the 6.5 diesels are only rated for like 10000lbs for the towing capacity (I think, I would have to go out to my truck to double check) so 8000+lbs is nearing the top of its capacity. Don't expect to be the fastest truck on the road.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah I knew it wasn't gonna be a dmax at all, but it's the wear and tear on my camper and the wear and tear on his truck that we are agreeing to.

10000 lbs thats all? That can't be right, but your truck is a 2500 srw, his is a 3500 drw, so it's got stiffer suspension in the rear which should be able to haul more, to my knowledge anyways. I've seen his truck at the races w/ both tanks full, and it hardly squats, which is a good thing.

SangerLawn
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I looooooooooove my diesel!!!!!

mowerbrad
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah I knew it wasn't gonna be a dmax at all, but it's the wear and tear on my camper and the wear and tear on his truck that we are agreeing to.

10000 lbs thats all? That can't be right, but your truck is a 2500 srw, his is a 3500 drw, so it's got stiffer suspension in the rear which should be able to haul more, to my knowledge anyways. I've seen his truck at the races w/ both tanks full, and it hardly squats, which is a good thing.

The dual wheels won't make any difference in the amount the vehicle can tow, only the amount of payload the truck can accept. For example a 2010 chevy 2500 srw has a payload of 3593lbs and a towing capacity of 13000lbs, while the 2010 chevy 3500 drw has a payload of 5255lbs and a towing capacity of 13000lbs. So all that will allow you to do is have more weight over the rear wheels but not tow any more. Towing has to do with the engine.

Omran&Turbo
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Yes diesel and only diesel

Kennedy Landscaping
12-27-2009, 02:05 AM
I plan to get a second truck over the summer and if I can find the right truck it will be a diesel. I would go with one if I were you.

PLS-Tx
12-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Looks like diesels are winning. :clapping::clapping:

I really wanted a gas truck when I bought my last truck, but I wanted to make sure I had enough power to do what I needed to do.

Man, that 6.7 sure is a blast to drive, and it's still stock. :cool2:

Lawn Man Dave
12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
For the gas stuff you can get away with a 5.3-5.7 pulling a few mowers and a crew.... I have heard of some guys doing it with the 4.8.

I worked for a guy that had a 2WD 318 RAM (like a 98) and it had the towing package on it and it did ok but did rev up quite a bit on slight hills. It never gave him any problems though. He nows pulls it with a newer 2WD F-150. It has a 60 inch Dixie, two Bunton Walk behindes, a crew of 2-3 plus him, extra gas, weed eaters and a blower.

If you puller 4 riders I don't think I would want to be in a smaller gaser on this hill's... any kind of larger landscaping jobs (a few yards plus of mulch) and rocks I would not risk it....

He did not have issues with the breaking but would use the tow button when he did not have a lot of room to slow down...

A smaller gas will get you by with descent loads untill you can afford something nicer... I am sure a say GM 5.3 will pull a lot better then that older 318 though....

Diesel's will take care of you if you take care of them... stuff is expensive but not that big if you can do your own work....

To bad they don't make them like they used to... like the old Benz and Rabbit engines that went 1 million miles with the factory internal's....

WHIPPLE5.7
12-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I got my first diesel this year(Cummins Dually)and I'm not overly impressed at all. They don't get the fuel mpg everyone says they do. I still prefer to drive my older 1996 Chevy 3/4 5.7. Its lightly modded and works hard as hell for me. I get 16 with the 5.7 and it never seems to be too short on power.

USFGUY
12-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I got my first diesel this year(Cummins Dually)and I'm not overly impressed at all. They don't get the fuel mpg everyone says they do.

What year? and is it a dodge? (fords HD came with the cummins engine too)

<- 96 dodge 2500 5.9L cummins and i get up to 25mpg on the highway.. been as low as 8 in town towing a heavy load though.

J&R Landscaping
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
What year? and is it a dodge? (fords HD came with the cummins engine too)

<- 96 dodge 2500 5.9L cummins and i get up to 25mpg on the highway.. been as low as 8 in town towing a heavy load though.

What year Fords came with a cummins diesel? None that I can remember unless your talking more about the bigger commercial cab and chassis trucks.

What do you have done to your truck to see 25 mpg highway. What speed do you avg on the highway for that mileage?

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I got my first diesel this year(Cummins Dually)and I'm not overly impressed at all. They don't get the fuel mpg everyone says they do. I still prefer to drive my older 1996 Chevy 3/4 5.7. Its lightly modded and works hard as hell for me. I get 16 with the 5.7 and it never seems to be too short on power.

The guy's gettin real good mileage have tunes on their trucks, no stock diesel gets 25 mpg that's for sure.

USFGUY
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
F-650/F-750 Chassis Cabs
offer three diesel engines-
including the standard
Cummins 5.9-liter diesel-
along with seven manual and
six automatic transmission. that comes from media.ford.com.

their HD fords come with 5.9l.. been that way for awhile now.. some are rated lower hp than in dodge though.

25mpg... 60 mph flat florida land :) 35 inch tires.. no lift.. auto tranny... I get up to 25 mpg on the highway with cruise control... got a bit less with stock tires. I run full pressure in the tires.. a little rough ride but worth it for the mpg.

PMLAWN
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I own a 3500 8.1 gas. It works well and pulls the trailer (8X14 and 8.5x24 both enclosed) great. Thing I notice most is on the highway pulling hills it has to drop down a gear to keep speed, My friends Chevy Max does not have to. Torque is king!!
From a guy that has an 8.1 gas and loves his truck--- buy diesel!!
I will next time, I get about 8MPG:cry: