PDA

View Full Version : Who likes to fish??

Pages : [1] 2 3

PLS-Tx
12-25-2009, 11:49 PM
What do you like to fish for?

Where do you fish?

Fresh or salt water?

What do you fish from, what kink of boat?

jaybird
12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
bass fishing mostly need to do more of it.

AI Inc
12-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I like cold water fresh. I fish in the ct lakes region of northern NH. Also like chasing stripes along the coast. I have a canoe , a jon boat and a 16 bowrider.

GravelyGuy
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
All freshwater, Largemouth Bass, Musky, Pike. We fish on shore mostly, but I also fish out of a boat, canoe, and float tube. I caught a 7lb largemouth this season. Pretty big for northern states. I'll put up pics when I get home.

MikeKle
12-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I used to go down to Falls of the Rough, KY every summer with a guy mowed I for, his son lived down there and we would all stay at his house, We would drink most of the time and fish the rest! The best spot was right next to the old mill on the rough river. Mostly we caught striped bass and Gar, they are a mean fish! We stayed about 4-5 days. They drank too much for me though, many nights we would sit up all night until the sun came up drinking, the get up about 3 hours later and start drinking right away!! I felt pretty rough by the 4th day. They have this weird little animal down there Ive never even heard of, they called it a mud puppy, it lived in water,but could also walk on land? Ive never seen any of these anywhere else. Those were great times down there.

punt66
12-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I live to fish. I have a 20' skeeter 250 yamaha vmax. I fish Ct, VT, NY. Lake Champlain is my favorite water to fish. From South Bay all the way up to isle Lemotte area. Ct river has great pike. I chase the stripers up the river every spring. I used to tournament fish but it required too much dedication and then there was the whole get married and have a kid thing getting in the way. My fish of choice the last few year have been Pike. I am on a mission to land a monster. My personal best was caught this year in south bay at 46". Caught it on a muskee spinner bait. I have tons of pics i need to upload.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1548http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1542

eatonpcat
12-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I live to fish. I have a 20' skeeter 250 yamaha vmax. I fish Ct, VT, NY. Lake Champlain is my favorite water to fish. From South Bay all the way up to isle Lemotte area. Ct river has great pike. I chase the stripers up the river every spring. I used to tournament fish but it required too much dedication and then there was the whole get married and have a kid thing getting in the way. My fish of choice the last few year have been Pike. I am on a mission to land a monster. My personal best was caught this year in south bay at 46". Caught it on a muskee spinner bait. I have tons of pics i need to upload.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1548http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1542

In my younger days, I spent many a weekend fishing for Stripers out of Jersey and Delaware bay!!! Miss that a lot!!! The Stripers love the moving water, Cast into the Rips and eat good!!:waving:

kootoomootoo
12-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Where do you fish?

Fresh or salt water?

Blondes
Vegas
Fresher the better
Boat is called Privacy

Tiger

MikeKle
12-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Blondes
Vegas
Fresher the better
Boat is called Privacy

Tiger

Thats great!!! Blondes are fairly easy to catch..Heh?!!!

Greg78
12-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Fish saltwater in the flats and mangroves in a 13' Gheenoe for Redfish, snook, snappers, trout, and sheepshead.

kootoomootoo
12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Thats great!!! Blondes are fairly easy to catch..Heh?!!!

yep they all like the same bait
$$$$

PLS-Tx
12-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Blondes
Vegas
Fresher the better
Boat is called Privacy

Tiger

Thanks for polluting my thread. :rolleyes:

Great pics guys, keep em coming. :)

I'll try to get some on here soon.

Junior M
12-27-2009, 02:47 AM
you already know how I feel about fishing.. :dancing:

:gunsfirin

PLS-Tx
12-27-2009, 02:56 AM
you already know how I feel about fishing.. :dancing:

:gunsfirin

Yeah I know, you would rather TRY to kill Bambi. :laugh:

I'm plannig on fishing Monday, I hope I can find the Red's tailing in the marsh.

Junior M
12-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah I know, you would rather TRY to kill Bambi. :laugh:

I'm plannig on fishing Monday, I hope I can find the Red's tailing in the marsh.
more like bambi's daddy! :cool2:

punt66
12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
more like bambi's daddy! :cool2:

i harvested 4 with a bow this year. Tons of deer here. How did you do?

Junior M
12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
i harvested 4 with a bow this year. Tons of deer here. How did you do?
I hardly got to hunt this year, I did get a shot at a doe but my dam scope was off.. :wall

Thats what I get for not making sure its in before going out..

But I did run dogs quite a bit this year, I was always on the dog side so I didnt get alot of chances to shoot. I am more into just being there and getting other people deer than more so myself. I pushed a 9pt to my buddy that he hail mary shot at and killed. Set up another kid for his first kill.

I've more so been busy helping others than hunting for myself, which is fine with me. I enjoy it more anyways..

Oh yeah, almost forgot, went to Ohio for gun season. Didnt get a shot off in the 3 days I was there. But did see an awesome 8 from like 500 yards running right in front of my Dads stand while he stood beside me. :laugh: Other than that 8pt, nothing but does. Had 11 come in at 30 yards but couldnt get a shot for all the trees.. :realmad:

MCFISH
12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I fish for a living, as a Captain on a private/charter sport fishing boat based in Key Largo Fl. Mainly we fish from the Bahamas and up and down the eastern sea board as for north as Main. Most of our fishing is done for Sailfish but also fish for Blue and White Marlin, Swordfish, Yellow fin tuna, Blue fin Tuna,Wahoo and Snapper on the reefs.
It is a great job but just like anything else after awhile it gets old. That's why in the spring I'm going to try to start a light excavation business in the Midwest with some mowing thrown in for cash flow. Still will fish Dec. through Apr. in Fl. for a couple years until the excavation thing gets off the ground.

punt66
12-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I fish for a living, as a Captain on a private/charter sport fishing boat based in Key Largo Fl. Mainly we fish from the Bahamas and up and down the eastern sea board as for north as Main. Most of our fishing is done for Sailfish but also fish for Blue and White Marlin, Swordfish, Yellow fin tuna, Blue fin Tuna,Wahoo and Snapper on the reefs.
It is a great job but just like anything else after awhile it gets old. That's why in the spring I'm going to try to start a light excavation business in the Midwest with some mowing thrown in for cash flow. Still will fish Dec. through Apr. in Fl. for a couple years until the excavation thing gets off the ground.

hahah i am doing the exact opposite as you. I am burned out with construction and landscape work. I will be moving to Texas next year and start my own guide service. Maybe we can swap. hahha

Junior M
12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
hahah i am doing the exact opposite as you. I am burned out with construction and landscape work. I will be moving to Texas next year and start my own guide service. Maybe we can swap. hahha
You could help a brother out and take him on a free of charge trip!

I like fishing when I can catch something, but I NEVER catch anything unless its in the pond.. :wall :laugh:

OrangeToys
12-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I fish cause I like it.

But go to canada yearly for Pike, Musky, Small Mouth, and walleye. But this past season I tried going for crappie and white bass. I missed the white bass run, but I had a blast catching some crappie from the shore. I hope you actually take the boat out this year for crappie 18'6" Triton.

punt66
12-27-2009, 05:52 PM

I like fishing when I can catch something, but I NEVER catch anything unless its in the pond.. :wall :laugh:

haha well thats my expertise. My wife calls me the fish whisperer. hahaha Well if you want to learn, come up in the spring and i'll show you the ways. The best way to learn though and get good experience on the water is to join your local BASS club. You will learn alot from those guys and get to fish some tournaments.

Junior M
12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
haha well thats my expertise. My wife calls me the fish whisperer. hahaha Well if you want to learn, come up in the spring and i'll show you the ways. The best way to learn though and get good experience on the water is to join your local BASS club. You will learn alot from those guys and get to fish some tournaments.
I know how to fish, I mean I bass fished pretty seriously for a couple years there. Throwing Bass pro and Abu Garcia bait casters. With one Abu Garcia spinner for the super light stuff. I was just starting to be able to find the fish on the lake under different conditions, when I really got into hunting. Thats been like 2 or 3 years now?

But when we'd fish, I'd put us on the fish. My buddy would be catching the hell out of fish, from the back of the boat. And I could be fishing ahead of him with the same lure the same way and I wouldnt even get a hit..

PLS-Tx
12-27-2009, 07:26 PM
I know how to fish, I mean I bass fished pretty seriously for a couple years there. Throwing Bass pro and Abu Garcia bait casters. With one Abu Garcia spinner for the super light stuff. I was just starting to be able to find the fish on the lake under different conditions, when I really got into hunting. Thats been like 2 or 3 years now?

But when we'd fish, I'd put us on the fish. My buddy would be catching the hell out of fish, from the back of the boat. And I could be fishing ahead of him with the same lure the same way and I wouldnt even get a hit..

Yeah, if my buddy was always out fishing me I guess I would look for another hobby also. :laugh:

Just messin with ya Junior. :waving:

Junior M
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, if my buddy was always out fishing me I guess I would look for another hobby also. :laugh:

Just messin with ya Junior. :waving:
Only time I ever outfished him was on the pond. And that was bream fishing.. :wall

punt66
12-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Only time I ever outfished him was on the pond. And that was bream fishing.. :wall

hahha I have the opposite problem. My friends always get pizzed at me for catching all the fish up front. They say i never give them a chance to catch fish. My father says it everytime. I try to explain it to them that its more about presentation. They dont believe me so i started giving the front of the boat to them and from the back continued to out fish them like 5-1. It was a good lesson for them to learn though. Presentation of the bait and the right bait is key.

eatonpcat
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM

MCFish... Count me in on the free trip:laugh::laugh: I will be in Tavernier, FL at the end of January!! How about a Lawnsite discount at least????:waving:

punt66
12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
MCFish... Count me in on the free trip:laugh::laugh: I will be in Tavernier, FL at the end of January!! How about a Lawnsite discount at least????:waving:

that would actually be fun. I would do a free trip for some lawnsite guys. Just pitch in a little for fuel.

Wet_Boots
12-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I tagged along on family fishing trips, but never acquired any mad skills. Somewhere packed away is a small rod and reel with 4 lb line. My favorite lure for lake fishing was a Rocky Jr.

punt66
12-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I tagged along on family fishing trips, but never acquired any mad skills. Somewhere packed away is a small rod and reel with 4 lb line. My favorite lure for lake fishing was a Rocky Jr.

Never heard of a rocky jr. What is that? 4lb line? My lightest line is my ultralight i use for crappie or occasional 1" grub as a search bait. All 9 of my baitcasters have 12+ up to 20#. My 3 spinning rods have 12lb XL.

Wet_Boots
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
a Rocky Jr. is a midget jointed plug, weighing all of 1/16 ounce, usable on a fly rod, as well as a small spinning rod. They have become somewhat collectable, since they're no longer manufactured. A similar jointed minnow lure goes by the name Falls Big Inch.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1492/bip4qwcgkkgrhqqhcyesmgm.jpg

punt66
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
this past season i have gathered up some ultra light plugs to use as search baits. I use search baits to see what bait fish are out feeding. Yea my baits dont last long enough to become old. hahaha They get used to death! Thanks for the pic. Very cool!

Junior M
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Never heard of a rocky jr. What is that? 4lb line? My lightest line is my ultralight i use for crappie or occasional 1" grub as a search bait. All 9 of my baitcasters have 12+ up to 20#. My 3 spinning rods have 12lb XL.
All my baitcasters have 17, pretty heavy line but striper like to randomly spool on the lake so I gotta be ready. :laugh:

I got 14 or 12 on my spinner rod.

whoopassonthebluegrass
12-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I dug a small pond in the fall. This spring I'll fill it from the canal that runs through my acreage and then stock it with largemouth, coppernose bluegill, and channel cats. :clapping:

Paradise Landscapes
12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm walleye guy! I take charter trips out on Lake Erie mainly headboats. If anyone here goes to Lake Erie and has a boat, I'm willing to chip in for fuel.

eatonpcat
12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm walleye guy! I take charter trips out on Lake Erie mainly headboats. If anyone here goes to Lake Erie and has a boat, I'm willing to chip in for fuel.

We go out of Vermilion, OH for Walleye, But this year the fishing sucked, don't know what's going on... Have to go almost to Canada to get our limits!!
I will keep you in mind if you're still around here next year!! Isn't Warren pretty far from Lake Erie??

Paradise Landscapes
12-30-2009, 02:13 PM
We go out of Vermilion, OH for Walleye, But this year the fishing sucked, don't know what's going on... Have to go almost to Canada to get our limits!!
I will keep you in mind if you're still around here next year!! Isn't Warren pretty far from Lake Erie??

I shoot straight up RT 11 through Ashtabula County. I visit family at a few weekends at a time in Lorain and help them with thier landscaping. I take the turnpike. I Love visiting Lake Erie when I can. My last trip was this past fall in Vermillion watching the sunset at the beach over by the Vermilion Maritime Museum.

I am sending you a treasured website by PM. You'll thank me for it!

PLS-Tx
12-31-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm going again tomorrow, back to the flats hope to find some Reds. :dancing:

I will try to get some pics up in a bit.

You guys got to thinking about my ultralight rig, I haven't had it out in a while. I need to pull it out again, I love catching fish on that rig.

I may start bringing it with me, once I have caught a limit I could pull it out and have some fun.

PLS-Tx
12-31-2009, 03:22 AM
Here a few pics, I will try to find some more later. :)

punt66
12-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Tac, nice fishes. I planned on hitting the flats for a few of those myself. Any tips?

Paradise Landscapes
12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
What are those fish?

punt66
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
their reds, caught on the saltwater flats.

Paradise Landscapes
12-31-2009, 09:54 AM
How do they taste? Never had any.

shortgrass01
12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
I like to fish alot, But I wont go fishing unless I can keep the fish. I wont fish in Nasty water, or anywhere where thier are warning signs up about fish consumption.

Which almost every where I Use to Fish.

So, I either fish fast cold or deep waters, creeks and lakes.

Sad really, I use to like fishing the river close to me, but the papper mill dumps into it and it is nasty. Not to mention SRS Site(RADS) also leaches into the river. So I bought a Metal Detector.

PLS-Tx
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
their reds, caught on the saltwater flats.

Brackish water actually. Redfish are unique in that they can live in salt, brackish, or fresh water. They just can't reproduce in fresh water, from what I have heard.

They are a blast to catch, their very strong, and good to eat. :)

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 12:42 AM
A few pics from today 12-31-09

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 12:45 AM
few more pics from today

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Red's are fun to catch and GOOD to eat. :)

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Last ones.

Going again Sat., and Mon, I'm off all next week so I'm sure I'll every day the weather is good.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Red's are fun to catch and GOOD to eat. :)

Yes they are. Nice pics TAC

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes they are. Nice pics TAC

Thanks I would love to fish in Florida sometime, I have seen some pics from there looks very nice.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 12:58 AM
TAC what kayak are you using? I used to use a Hobie Quest, and really enjoyed it, but at that time I was fishing fresh water also and had a huge gator that got a little to close ( I think he was after my stringer ) so I sold the kayak and got a Gheenoe. Now that I am exclusively fishing salt I was thinking about another kayak.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks I would love to fish in Florida sometime, I have seen some pics from there looks very nice.

It is very nice, I need to find more time to get out on the water. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
TAC what kayak are you using? I used to use a Hobie Quest, and really enjoyed it, but at that time I was fishing fresh water also and had a huge gator that got a little to close ( I think he was after my stringer ) so I sold the kayak and got a Gheenoe. Now that I am exclusively fishing salt I was thinking about another kayak.

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 solo, VERY comfy, and stable.

http://nativewatercraft.com/

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14.cfm

I also have a Wilderness Tarpon 120, and my son has a Tarpon 160i.

We both bought Tarpon 120's 2 years ago, I bought the Ultimate last summer, and my son traded his 120 for the 160i.

I haven't been back in my Tarpon 120 since I got the Ultimate, I like it that much.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 solo, VERY comfy, and stable.

http://nativewatercraft.com/

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14.cfm

I also have a Wilderness Tarpon 120, and my son has a Tarpon 160i.

We both bought Tarpon 120's 2 years ago, I bought the Ultimate last summer, and my son traded his 120 for the 160i.

I haven't been back in my Tarpon 120 since I got the Ultimate, I like it that much.

Very nice.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Couldn't find all my pictures.
1. a nice view on the way out.
2. first day in kayak, took me a while to get the hang of it.
3. my mother and one of her bigger reds that day.

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 03:00 AM

What is a Gheenoe?

Hobie's are very nice yaks, was yours peddle drive?

I hear ya on the gators, I haven't ever had one come after my stringer, but it does cross my mind.

Last summer we launched one Sat. at 5am, the guy that was in front had a large gator splash water on him. ;) That's to close, it was still dark so he didn't see the gator until he was right up on it.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 11:28 AM
What is a Gheenoe?

Hobie's are very nice yaks, was yours peddle drive?

http://customgheenoe.com/

A Gheenoe is like a canoe on steroids. They are made in Titusville Fl Depending on the model you can run 25hp outboards on them. They are impossible to tip, and you can stand up and walk around in them. I'll have to find some photos.

I've got an older model 13' and love it. I use a 40 lb thrust trolling motor with dual battery set-up, GPS/Depth Finder, baitwell, and 8 rod holders.
I am wanting to add a small outboard, nothing to heavy as I sometimes load where there aren't any boat ramps.

No I didn't have the pedal drive on the Hobie, although I wanted it.

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
http://customgheenoe.com/

A Gheenoe is like a canoe on steroids. They are made in Titusville Fl Depending on the model you can run 25hp outboards on them. They are impossible to tip, and you can stand up and walk around in them. I'll have to find some photos.

I've got an older model 13' and love it. I use a 40 lb thrust trolling motor with dual battery set-up, GPS/Depth Finder, baitwell, and 8 rod holders.
I am wanting to add a small outboard, nothing to heavy as I sometimes load where there aren't any boat ramps.

No I didn't have the pedal drive on the Hobie, although I wanted it.

Looks like a good boat.

I know a guy that has a 12' Ultimate like mine, he put a trolling motor on it. He said next time we go to the flats together he will tow me out and back.:laugh:

I have thought about putting a trolling motor on mine, I may on day. If I do then I will need to register it.

I enjoy paddling, and I SURE need the exercise. :laugh:

Greg78
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Looks like a good boat.

I know a guy that has a 12' Ultimate like mine, he put a trolling motor on it. He said next time we go to the flats together he will tow me out and back.:laugh:

I have thought about putting a trolling motor on mine, I may on day. If I do then I will need to register it.

I enjoy paddling, and I SURE need the exercise. :laugh:

They are nice I really enjoy mine.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the kayak, a lot of times where I wanted to fish was a long way out and back. I have been towed a few times in the kayak.

punt66
01-01-2010, 05:08 PM
i went to cabelas today and brought home a new toy. Under wter video system. Going to hook it into one of my downriggers for some live video in the spring.

Greg78
01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
i went to cabelas today and brought home a new toy. Under wter video system. Going to hook it into one of my downriggers for some live video in the spring.

I've wanted one of those since I seen one last year, pretty neat.

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
They are nice I really enjoy mine.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the kayak, a lot of times where I wanted to fish was a long way out and back. I have been towed a few times in the kayak.

I have only been towed once, last week a guy in a power boat asked if I wanted him to tow me back to the launch. Normally I would have said no thanks, but my wife wanted to go shopping. Our son was home sick so one of us had to be home with him.

I won't do it again if I can help it, didn't care for breathing the exhaust. Don't get me wrong it was nice of him to it.

I will do it with the trolling motor but not a gas motor.

Going out again tomorrow, launching at 10am. Planning to meet up with some other guys, one of them really knows his stuff. Maybe I can learn a thing or two. :)

Greg78
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I have only been towed once, last week a guy in a power boat asked if I wanted him to tow me back to the launch. Normally I would have said no thanks, but my wife wanted to go shopping. Our son was home sick so one of us had to be home with him.

I won't do it again if I can help it, didn't care for breathing the exhaust. Don't get me wrong it was nice of him to it.

I will do it with the trolling motor but not a gas motor.

Going out again tomorrow, launching at 10am. Planning to meet up with some other guys, one of them really knows his stuff. Maybe I can learn a thing or two. :)

Never been towed by a gas motor before... doesn't sound like fun.

Good luck tomorrow.

PLS-Tx
01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Never been towed by a gas motor before... doesn't sound like fun.

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks, I was going to go back to the flats but this other guy is going near the coast. I have been wanting to fish with him for some time. He owns

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/portal.php

PLS-Tx
01-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Todays trip 1-2-10, had a blast.

PLS-Tx
01-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Let me try this again. :confused:

Greg78
01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Let me try this again. :confused:

Very nice. What are you throwing?

PLS-Tx
01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Very nice. What are you throwing?

Gulp and soft plastics.

Greg78
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Gulp and soft plastics.

Kinda what I had figured.

Greg78
01-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Seeing all of your Redfish makes me want to go out tomorrow, but it is going to be fairly cold the next couple of days down here.

Paradise Landscapes
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
You guys and your reds. They look really tempting on the grill!

I'll just have to stick to my Lake Erie Walleyes and Perch!!!

Dieselnut
01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I like to fish. Its my thing outside heavy equipment

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Big%20Rock%20Blue%20Marlin%20Tournament/marlin.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Big%20Rock%20Blue%20Marlin%20Tournament/bighuntertuesday.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Bluefin%20Tuna%20Fishing%202009/ACF9F97.jpg

Greg78
01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
You guys and your reds. They look really tempting on the grill!

I'll just have to stick to my Lake Erie Walleyes and Perch!!!

Fished up in IL quite a bit and never had a chance to go out on Lake Michigan for Walleyes, although I have ate more than my fair share.

Reds are great to catch and even better to eat.

Greg78
01-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I like to fish. Its my thing outside heavy equipment

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Big%20Rock%20Blue%20Marlin%20Tournament/marlin.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Big%20Rock%20Blue%20Marlin%20Tournament/bighuntertuesday.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/LR_Sportsman/Bluefin%20Tuna%20Fishing%202009/ACF9F97.jpg

Very nice.

Dieselnut
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Very nice.

Thanks man. I dont think there is anything more relaxing then fishing.

punt66
01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks man. I dont think there is anything more relaxing then fishing.

agreed. I have tried it all too. Long harley rides to overnight hikes. Nothing beats launching the bass boat on lake champlain at 4 am and putting topwater fish in the boat until you can see enough to run. Then running on glass water to your favorite spot. The day goes by in a blink of an eye! Nothing beats it.

PLS-Tx
01-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Seeing all of your Redfish makes me want to go out tomorrow, but it is going to be fairly cold the next couple of days down here.

It's going to be cold here next week also, strong front coming in Thurs. :cry:

I don't like the cold, but I go fishing anyway.

I wear waders and fleece.

Few more from today. :)

slamjamrockinman
01-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Chiming in to this thread from MN. I LOVE To fish, next best thing from mowing, lol. It depends on the lake and the season, in the summer I love to target smaller lakes and ponds for largemouths. Me and a buddy targeted a small lake close to the house and did really good throughout the whole summer. We landed several over 5lbs and a ton of smaller ones in between 1 and 3 lbs, wish I had camera pics, they are all on cell phones though.
I love to fish in the summer but my favorite is ICE FISHING. I have plenty of time in the winter to get out there. This year I haven't much yet, but it should be frozen over enough next week to drive the trucks out, hopefully I can get out there. I love to catch walleye through the ice. Northerns are fun as well. I really like going and catching my limit of crappies though, they are TASTY to eat!
Great thread guys, lets here from some more Ice fishing guys, I know there is a few out there! Maybe not this weekend though, it's supposed to be -15 tommorrow.

punt66
01-03-2010, 08:35 AM
It's going to be cold here next week also, strong front coming in Thurs. :cry:

I don't like the cold, but I go fishing anyway.

I wear waders and fleece.

Few more from today. :)

what area in Texas are you fishing? Can a bass boat get in there? How high do your tides get get down there?

Junior M
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
agreed. I have tried it all too. Long harley rides to overnight hikes. Nothing beats launching the bass boat on lake champlain at 4 am and putting topwater fish in the boat until you can see enough to run. Then running on glass water to your favorite spot. The day goes by in a blink of an eye! Nothing beats it.
my favorite time of all to fish is spring and early summer..

I am not much into fishing anymore, but I am going to get back into it this year..

Mostly just cause it'll give me an excuse to be on the lake.. :laugh:

punt66
01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
my favorite time of all to fish is spring and early summer..

I am not much into fishing anymore, but I am going to get back into it this year..

Mostly just cause it'll give me an excuse to be on the lake.. :laugh:

how is the fishing down your way?

Junior M
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
how is the fishing down your way?
Well I am bout 35-40 minutes from Lake Marion(Santee cooper) so you tell me..

Actually its dam good, Lake Wateree has some good fishing on the lower end near the river.

Fishing Creek is a freakin AWESOME place to fish, it definetly takes experience to fish that place.

Never bass fished lake murray. For one its to far and everytime I am out there its covered in people out ski-ing and swimming everywhere. So pretty much screwing up the fishing..

punt66
01-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Well I am bout 35-40 minutes from Lake Marion(Santee cooper) so you tell me..

Actually its dam good, Lake Wateree has some good fishing on the lower end near the river.

Fishing Creek is a freakin AWESOME place to fish, it definetly takes experience to fish that place.

Never bass fished lake murray. For one its to far and everytime I am out there its covered in people out ski-ing and swimming everywhere. So pretty much screwing up the fishing..

I have heard a lot about Marion but have not fished it, so i cant tell you. I also heard alot about Okeechobee and it sucked. hahahha I hear it has improved though because when i was there the water levels were really low because of a long drought. But i have not fished any of the Carolina's.

punt66
01-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I am moving south soon and will be missing my northern pike fishing! But there are a bunch of new species to target in texas that we dont have here. So it should be interesting anyhow.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I have heard a lot about Marion but have not fished it, so i cant tell you. I also heard alot about Okeechobee and it sucked. hahahha I hear it has improved though because when i was there the water levels were really low because of a long drought. But i have not fished any of the Carolina's.
Well Santee is famous for alot of fish and big ones at that.. I figured you woulda known that? :confused:

But I've never had any luck there personally but the guy I fished with has went out there numerous times and caught 9 or 10 bass, no smaller than 5 pounds.. The last time he went the biggest was 9 and a half pounds..

punt66
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Well Santee is famous for alot of fish and big ones at that.. I figured you woulda known that? :confused:

But I've never had any luck there personally but the guy I fished with has went out there numerous times and caught 9 or 10 bass, no smaller than 5 pounds.. The last time he went the biggest was 9 and a half pounds..

I have heard plenty about the lake. My bass club fished a tournament there (i was not able to go) and didnt do well. I think it was to to a cold fron going through though. That must be a magic lake! All over 5lbs! hahah

PLS-Tx
01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I am moving south soon and will be missing my northern pike fishing! But there are a bunch of new species to target in texas that we dont have here. So it should be interesting anyhow.

Where are you moving to?

punt66
01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Where are you moving to?

Austin/San Ant area

Junior M
01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I have heard plenty about the lake. My bass club fished a tournament there (i was not able to go) and didnt do well. I think it was to to a cold fron going through though. That must be a magic lake! All over 5lbs! hahah
Its either on or off with that place..

punt66
01-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Its either on or off with that place..

well is was defenetly off that weekend so i was glad i didnt go.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
well is was defenetly off that weekend so i was glad i didnt go.
I've fished up there numerous times and came home wishing the samething.. :laugh:

I know a couple guys at the FD that bowfish up there, I am goin to see if I can ride along one night.. that should be some fun stuff..

punt66
01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I've fished up there numerous times and came home wishing the samething.. :laugh:

I know a couple guys at the FD that bowfish up there, I am goin to see if I can ride along one night.. that should be some fun stuff..

i am going to try that when i get to austin. there are some huge gar down there. There is a few youtube videos on it. Marion is known for cats as well.

Greg78
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
i am going to try that when i get to austin. there are some huge gar down there. There is a few youtube videos on it. Marion is known for cats as well.

Are you going to eat the Gar?

punt66
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
i am going to upload some more pics tomarrow.

punt66
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you going to eat the Gar?

well my plan is to try and harvest 1 by bow and eat it. If i like it i will likely do it again. But i am not into a slaughter for fun without eating them. I rarely keep fish i catch so as much fun as bowfishing looks to be i dont know if i will partake it it often. You cant exactly throw them back with a hole in them. But i will defenetly try to catch and release them using mullet for bait.

Greg78
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
well my plan is to try and harvest 1 by bow and eat it. If i like it i will likely do it again. But i am not into a slaughter for fun without eating them. I rarely keep fish i catch so as much fun as bowfishing looks to be i dont know if i will partake it it often. You cant exactly throw them back with a hole in them. But i will defenetly try to catch and release them using mullet for bait.

I never thought of eating Gar. Just did a quick Bing search and sure enough there are several recipes. I've always thought of them as falling into the category of not something I would want to eat.

Seems Gar have turned into quite the sport fish.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, there are some huge gar and carp in there to..

Greg78
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
As kids we used to catch Gar off of a bridge just down the road... it was a lot of fun but we threw them all back because nobody wanted to eat them lol.

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
As kids we used to catch Gar off of a bridge just down the road... it was a lot of fun but we threw them all back because nobody wanted to eat them lol.

i thought they werent good either. I think the same about carp. The only reason i knew you could eat gar was because i have been doing alot of research about fishing in the Austin area and came across videos and articles about gar. Here in CT we dont have gar but i have caught long nose gar in Lake Champlain. I will post a pic of that soon.

Greg78
01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
i thought they werent good either. I think the same about carp. The only reason i knew you could eat gar was because i have been doing alot of research about fishing in the Austin area and came across videos and articles about gar. Here in CT we dont have gar but i have caught long nose gar in Lake Champlain. I will post a pic of that soon.

I've had Carp a couple of times and it wasn't very good. Now around St Louis and Central IL were I lived for a couple of years Buffalo was real popular at the restaurants and a lot of people think it is Carp and try and eat the Carp they catch, then they find out they are not the same and Buffalo tastes a heck of a lot better than Carp.

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I've had Carp a couple of times and it wasn't very good. Now around St Louis and Central IL were I lived for a couple of years Buffalo was real popular at the restaurants and a lot of people think it is Carp and try and eat the Carp they catch, then they find out they are not the same and Buffalo tastes a heck of a lot better than Carp.

yea, around here people will bow hunt them and throw them away. They are considered garbage. I personally dont like that unless they are a problem. I am uploading some more pics now.

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Here are a few pics..

Long nos caught in Champlain, south bay summer 09
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2456

This was my father inlaw, lake champlain 10/09 We had a great 3 day weekend there
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2452

This pig was caught of a bed last spring. My closest friend and most often fishing buddy Rob.
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2451

another champlain fish
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2457

east twin lakes 09
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2455

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
another champlain fish.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2454

ok, share more photos because this winter is allready killing me! Cant wait for spring and the striper run up the river!

Greg78
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice fish!!!!

Greg78
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
another champlain fish.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2454

ok, share more photos because this winter is allready killing me! Cant wait for spring and the striper run up the river!

Love the Smallmouth.

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Love the Smallmouth.

yea, on champlain you can get into schools of 3lb smallies and put 50 on the boat. Man do they fight.

punt66
01-03-2010, 09:59 PM
This is my first bow harvest of 4 this season 09. Not exactly a fish i know haha.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=2453

Junior M
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Those are called alligator gar here Punt..

and I dont have any fish pics on this computer...

punt66
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Those are called alligator gar here Punt..

and I dont have any fish pics on this computer...

thats a long nose gar. Alligator gar are different. People do call them aligator but as far as i know thats incorrect.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
we get that same species in the water here, bow is to small though, we prefer guns. :)

but seriously heres the 9point I pushed to my buddy on accident.. :laugh:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/pictures002.jpg

Junior M
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
thats a long nose gar. Alligator gar are different. People do call them aligator but as far as i know thats incorrect.
I didnt know there were 2 kinds like that? ;)

punt66
01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
this is an alligator garr, do a youtube search, plenty of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzfrvzKRdaU

this is a long nose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WET5ktZ_djQ

punt66
01-04-2010, 02:32 PM
we get that same species in the water here, bow is to small though, we prefer guns. :)

but seriously heres the 9point I pushed to my buddy on accident.. :laugh:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/pictures002.jpg

i graduated from rifle hunting years ago :usflag: hahah

Junior M
01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
i graduated from rifle hunting years ago :usflag: hahah
I muzzleload.. :cool2:

I know, its not as hard as bow hunting and practically rifle hunting. But its not quite as easy when your still hunting the type of property we hunt..

I still prefer to run dogs.. :usflag:

punt66
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
its illegal to run dogs for deer here.

Junior M
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
its illegal to run dogs for deer here.
Well make a run down here one day and I'll get a hunt set up.. Its so much more fun than still hunting and its not as ruthless and mean to the deer as you think..

Just bring your shotgun, orange and some cash cause missing aint free! :laugh:

PLS-Tx
01-05-2010, 02:47 AM
punt66, Very nice fish. When are you moving to Tx?

I'm loaded up and going fishing again tomorrow. I will post pics if I have a good day, if you don't hear from me you will know it wasen't a good day. :laugh:

Going to be cold tomorrow, upper 40's, but it's going to be even colder by the end of the week and weekend.

Going to be almost 60 again by Mon, that's about right, I'm on vacation this week. :cry:

I may need to extend my vacation into next week to get some more fishing in. I will need to check with the boss, Oh wait, I'm the boss. :laugh:

I can't belive you guys shot Bambi. ;)

punt66
01-05-2010, 07:40 AM
punt66, Very nice fish. When are you moving to Tx?

I'm loaded up and going fishing again tomorrow. I will post pics if I have a good day, if you don't hear from me you will know it wasen't a good day. :laugh:

Going to be cold tomorrow, upper 40's, but it's going to be even colder by the end of the week and weekend.

Going to be almost 60 again by Mon, that's about right, I'm on vacation this week. :cry:

I may need to extend my vacation into next week to get some more fishing in. I will need to check with the boss, Oh wait, I'm the boss. :laugh:

I can't belive you guys shot Bambi. ;)

I eat bambi :drinkup:. My whole family does. Its a lot healthier then beef full of antibiotics and processed feed. My house goes on the market jan 15. I have been communicating with a realtor already in TX. I would say it will be within a year.

PLS-Tx
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I eat bambi :drinkup:. My whole family does. Its a lot healthier then beef full of antibiotics and processed feed. My house goes on the market jan 15. I have been communicating with a realtor already in TX. I would say it will be within a year.

I'm sure it's good, I think I ate some deer that my bil killed years ago, best I remember I liked it.

My son has started hunting so I sure I will go with him next season.

What's making you move to Tx, other than the fact it's the greatest state in the country? :laugh:

punt66
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm sure it's good, I think I ate some deer that my bil killed years ago, best I remember I liked it.

My son has started hunting so I sure I will go with him next season.

What's making you move to Tx, other than the fact it's the greatest state in the country? :laugh:

tired of the harsh winters up here. I need to fish the whole year. Not just 6 months. I am retiring early down there. I may just tournament fish/guide. We chose Texas because the econemy is good, and we dont care for florida. Wife will still work.

PLS-Tx
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
tired of the harsh winters up here. I need to fish the whole year. Not just 6 months. I am retiring early down there. I may just tournament fish/guide. We chose Texas because the econemy is good, and we dont care for florida. Wife will still work.

I can understand that for sure. I spent one winter in upstate NY, too cold for me, winters are looooooooong.

Hope everything goes good for Ya'll, let me know if I can be of help.

It's cold here this week, but it dosen't happen very often.

http://kbmt.bimedia.net/weather/Extended%20Forecast.jpg

punt66
01-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I can understand that for sure. I spent one winter in upstate NY, too cold for me, winters are looooooooong.

Hope everything goes good for Ya'll, let me know if I can be of help.

It's cold here this week, but it dosen't happen very often.

there is a lot i need to know about Texas. hahaha I need to spend a lot of time on the water down there. I see Texas has a fresh water guide license that you can purchase with no requirments and the salt water is a uscg capt license, same as here. I am already researching bass clubs in the austin area and sent a few emails out. I am looking for a competitive club. I dont have much experience with light tackle saltwater, so if your interested to show a big dog some new tricks when i get down there that would be fun. I have an old 20' champion i wouldnt care about throwing in the salt. I actually fish the champion more. I like not having to worry about scratching up a newer boat. I may even sell the skeeter. I bought the skeeter when i was more serious tournament fishing and picked up this champion from a friend who needed money cheap. So have been using that boat mostly since. I like that old champion.

WillieWonka1850
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Where do you fish?

Fresh or salt water?

Anything big and puts up a good fight; Bass, Pike, Walleye, Carp, Catfish, Suckers, etc.

Well theres lots of good lakes and rivers here in Mid Michigan so, lots of choices.

Fresh water

From land but hopefully from this spring now on I'll be fishing from a boat :cool2:

PLS-Tx
01-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Went for a couple of hours today.

Had a limit in about an hour. ;) That was a first for me.

One of them I had to tag, he was 29-30", the slot is 20-28".

Had fun, cold but fun. :)

joel29m
01-07-2010, 03:27 AM
freshwater fishing for me, alot out the mississippi river. i mostly fish for catfish, brim, perch, gou fish (if i spelled it right) crawfish etc.

DoetschOutdoor
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I plan to have a whole mess of crawfish traps to go out this year now that I have a fishing rig of my own!! The old man dont wanna scratch up his bass cat at all the holes I go to but I have my own now, plan on hitting the river up several times a week after getting done mowing at 3pm and running some jugs and bass fishing. Depending if I can find some decent spots, might fish the wednesday night bass tourneys at our river.

Junior M
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I plan to have a whole mess of crawfish traps to go out this year now that I have a fishing rig of my own!! The old man dont wanna scratch up his bass cat at all the holes I go to but I have my own now, plan on hitting the river up several times a week after getting done mowing at 3pm and running some jugs and bass fishing. Depending if I can find some decent spots, might fish the wednesday night bass tourneys at our river.
I wanna try bass fishing at night.. I hear its a whole different ballgame though..

I've got a feeling I am goin to be donating a whole lot more lures to nature that night.. ;) :laugh:

PLS-Tx
01-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Looks like I'm land locked for the next couple of days. :cry:

Going to be cold here until Sun, I heard wind chill around 0 or below. That's cold for south Tx.

I will be loaded and ready to go Monday, going to be a balmy 50, can't wait. :)

punt66
01-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Looks like I'm land locked for the next couple of days. :cry:

Going to be cold here until Sun, I heard wind chill around 0 or below. That's cold for south Tx.

I will be loaded and ready to go Monday, going to be a balmy 50, can't wait. :)

you keep rubbing it in i am going to kick your arse hahahaa The onlu pleasure i am i am getting from fishing is looking at cabelas catalogs and watching fishing tv shows as the tears flow down my cheeks.

PLS-Tx
01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I think I'm going to try for Sat.

Going to be COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! 39 N wind @ 7mph.

Cummins343
01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Nothin beats fishing! I've always wanted to fish the two main rivers (Kansas and Missouri) here in Kansas City. Lots of Channel cat, and gar. This spring, when the rivers thaw out, i plan on hitting them with my buddy from the FD. He does it every year. I've got some good pics of his last trip of some good catches he reeled in. Both rivers are very large. Lots of barge traffic. I can't wait for this spring to get out on there and reel in some big ones.(not me in the pic)

Junior M
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's Dad with a bass he caught out of our little 3acre pond behind the house..

DoetschOutdoor
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
you keep rubbing it in i am going to kick your arse hahahaa The onlu pleasure i am i am getting from fishing is looking at cabelas catalogs and watching fishing tv shows as the tears flow down my cheeks.

Haha, I have the same problem Punt...got my new duck/fishing boat about 2 months ago and with this cold weather, I find myself reading and re reading the bass pro catalog finding the many many things I need to rig the boat right. Just got the new master Bass pro catalog and already have it pretty well covered!

Junior, the weeknight tourneys arent night fishin for bass...its like a 4pm to 830pm, 1 fish limit kinda deal...real good for guys in our kinda businesses that are off work a little earlier than typical 5pm. I think most guys get in like a good 3 hours of fishin, then its beer time.

Junior M
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Haha, I have the same problem Punt...got my new duck/fishing boat about 2 months ago and with this cold weather, I find myself reading and re reading the bass pro catalog finding the many many things I need to rig the boat right. Just got the new master Bass pro catalog and already have it pretty well covered!

Junior, the weeknight tourneys arent night fishin for bass...its like a 4pm to 830pm, 1 fish limit kinda deal...real good for guys in our kinda businesses that are off work a little earlier than typical 5pm. I think most guys get in like a good 3 hours of fishin, then its beer time.
Never heard of those, yet I've heard of night time tournaments? ;)

I'll have to look around to see if I can find one..

Greg78
01-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I think I'm going to try for Sat.

Going to be COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! 39 N wind @ 7mph.

That's crazy. Good luck LOL.

PLS-Tx
01-09-2010, 12:26 AM
That's crazy. Good luck LOL.

I can't wait until Monday, going to be almost 60. :):):):):)

Greg78
01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I can't wait until Monday, going to be almost 60. :):):):):)

Yeah now that I can handle.

Greg78
01-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Next week is looking pretty good.

PLS-Tx
01-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Next week is looking pretty good.

Man, that looks great, 75 Fri that's my kind of weather.

You hiring? :laugh::laugh:

Greg78
01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Man, that looks great, 75 Fri that's my kind of weather.

You hiring? :laugh::laugh:

LOL sure wish it was Fri already. 39 and raining now :cry:

PLS-Tx
01-09-2010, 12:59 PM
LOL sure wish it was Fri already. 39 and raining now :cry:

Well, the sun is shinning here but it's ONLY 29. :cry:

I'm going to let it get above freezing before I go fishing.

If it's going to make it to 42 like the weathermen are saying it sure better get busy. :laugh:

Trevor8
01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
i do
i fish at Lake of the woods Ontario Marina is in Morson and i stay at Tamarack lodge. I fish for muskie northern walleye bass crappie perch

PLS-Tx
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Yesterday was COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

Launched about 1 or so, wasen't too bad until the sun went down, that's about when my feet went numb. ;)

Ony one Red caught all day, the guy I fished with landed a nice 24-25" slot Red.

It was sloooooooooooow.

Planning on going again tomorrow, going to be much warmer. :)

Greg78
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Went for a couple of hours today.

Had a limit in about an hour. ;) That was a first for me.

One of them I had to tag, he was 29-30", the slot is 20-28".

Had fun, cold but fun. :)

You had to tag one of them? Whats that for? After you tagged it you still got to keep it?

DoetschOutdoor
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Ahhh, wasted 20 bucks in gas today running around to different boat ramps around here and everything is locked up frozen!! I can not take anymore pics of you guys catching stuff this time of year. I could drive my dang truck right off the boat ramp onto the ice, we're along ways away from doing any fishin

punt66
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Yesterday was COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

Launched about 1 or so, wasen't too bad until the sun went down, that's about when my feet went numb. ;)

Ony one Red caught all day, the guy I fished with landed a nice 24-25" slot Red.

It was sloooooooooooow.

Planning on going again tomorrow, going to be much warmer. :)

you always keep your fish?

PLS-Tx
01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
you always keep your fish?

That one wasen't mine, I got skunked yesterday.

I do keep mine if they are in the slot. Why do you ask?

PLS-Tx
01-11-2010, 01:45 AM
You had to tag one of them? Whats that for? After you tagged it you still got to keep it?

In Tx. you can only keep Reds that are 20-28", under 20" and over 28" you can't keep.

When you get your fishing license there is a tag that comes with it. The tag is for 1 Red over 28". You can turn that tag in and get another one. so you can keep two Reds over 28" a year.

Yes, you can keep it IF you tag it. I have heard of guys getting tickets for having Reds over 28" that were not tagged.

punt66
01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
That one wasen't mine, I got skunked yesterday.

I do keep mine if they are in the slot. Why do you ask?

evry picture i seee of yours are fish on a stringer. I was just curious. I rarely keep fish. Most sportsman up here rarely keep fish. So it just looks odd to me thats all.

Greg78
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
In Tx. you can only keep Reds that are 20-28", under 20" and over 28" you can't keep.

When you get your fishing license there is a tag that comes with it. The tag is for 1 Red over 28". You can turn that tag in and get another one. so you can keep two Reds over 28" a year.

Yes, you can keep it IF you tag it. I have heard of guys getting tickets for having Reds over 28" that were not tagged.

We have the slot also but don't have tags for over. Our limit is 1 red, whats yours?

PLS-Tx
01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
We have the slot also but don't have tags for over. Our limit is 1 red, whats yours?

Wow 1 fish, that stinks.

Our limit is 3 Reds, 10 Specks, and 5 Flounder except Nov. the limit is 2 Flounder. It was 10 Flounder every month until this year.

Louisiana is 5 Reds, and they only need to be 16". We live on the Tx./La. Border, so I'm thinking about getting a La license.

PLS-Tx
01-12-2010, 12:18 AM
evry picture i seee of yours are fish on a stringer. I was just curious. I rarely keep fish. Most sportsman up here rarely keep fish. So it just looks odd to me thats all.

I know guys that don't keep anything they catch.

I keep mine, I like to eat fish.

Also, it kind of helps me justify to my wife all the $ I spend on my hobby.:laugh:

PLS-Tx
01-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Ahhh, wasted 20 bucks in gas today running around to different boat ramps around here and everything is locked up frozen!! I can not take anymore pics of you guys catching stuff this time of year. I could drive my dang truck right off the boat ramp onto the ice, we're along ways away from doing any fishin

Wow, I could not handle that at all.

We just came through several days of very cold weather for us, like to drove me nuts.

In another month the azaleas will be blooming and the Bass will be spawning. :):):)

punt66
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
I know guys that don't keep anything they catch.

I keep mine, I like to eat fish.

Also, it kind of helps me justify to my wife all the $ I spend on my hobby.:laugh:

I rarely keep fish. I kept 1 fish last season. 19" rainbow trout that was begging to be caught. I watched this fish jump up to 3 feet out of the water several times for about 15 min before i stalked up to it with a rouge stick bait. First cast and he attacked it. That was one hungry fish. I do keep legal stripers though. How are the reds for eating. How do you prepare them?

PLS-Tx
01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I rarely keep fish. I kept 1 fish last season. 19" rainbow trout that was begging to be caught. I watched this fish jump up to 3 feet out of the water several times for about 15 min before i stalked up to it with a rouge stick bait. First cast and he attacked it. That was one hungry fish. I do keep legal stripers though. How are the reds for eating. How do you prepare them?

Reds are very good, we cook them on the grill on the half shell.

DoetschOutdoor
01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
TAC, you do any waterfowl hunting? Good way to pass the cold and the hunting can be good in some parts of Tx from what I hear. Our season was 2 months long and we lost the last 2 weeks to every single major lake and river being frozen solid.

PLS-Tx
01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
TAC, you do any waterfowl hunting? Good way to pass the cold and the hunting can be good in some parts of Tx from what I hear. Our season was 2 months long and we lost the last 2 weeks to every single major lake and river being frozen solid.

I never have, but I have been thinking about it latly. I think I would enjoy it.

Yes, it is very good around here.

PLS-Tx
01-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Mon 67, Tues 70, Wed 76, guess where I'm going next week. :):)

DoetschOutdoor
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I would be hunting in the morning, fishing in the afternoon and you can bet your bottom dollar on that!

fl-landscapes
01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Like to fish salt water

In the gulf of mexico

22 foot center console

heres a couple pics

Dieselnut
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice Tarpon and King Mack FL-Landscapes. What part of SW FL are you in?

fl-landscapes
01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice Tarpon and King Mack FL-Landscapes. What part of SW FL are you in?

Charlotte County- Fish mostly out of Boca Grande

PLS-Tx
01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Like to fish salt water

In the gulf of mexico

22 foot center console

heres a couple pics

Very nice fish, looks like lots of fun.

punt66
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Ever got BBC boards? Bass boat central. There is a lot of good info there.

eatonpcat
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Looks like you need to bring them in a little faster FL-scapes!!:laugh:

Nice fish and boat, A liitle bit jealous!!!

fl-landscapes
01-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Looks like you need to bring them in a little faster FL-scapes!!:laugh:

Nice fish and boat, A liitle bit jealous!!!

Thats funny.....caught that on a lighter bait caster then I wanted too and it nearly spooled me the first run.....then it lost its fight and I wondered why.....shark ate his tail!

fl-landscapes
01-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks. Nothing beats being on the water! Hope to get out thursday. Hey punt nice striper. I grew up in Boston and fished stripers my whole life. I miss it I just done miss seeing my boat under a tarp for seven months.

Dieselnut
01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Charlotte County- Fish mostly out of Boca Grande

Some monster kings come out of the gulf. What do you think of that snapper and grouper closure?

punt66
01-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks. Nothing beats being on the water! Hope to get out thursday. Hey punt nice striper. I grew up in Boston and fished stripers my whole life. I miss it I just done miss seeing my boat under a tarp for seven months.

tell me about it! I cant wait to get out of here!

Jusmowin
01-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I like fresh water fishing, mostly bass and bluegill but if I can get back up to the mountains trout is a lot of fun!

fl-landscapes
01-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Some monster kings come out of the gulf. What do you think of that snapper and grouper closure?

I think everything is over regulated these days. Need a lawyer with me fishing so I know all the updated slot limits closed areas and closed periods for each species. Oh and dont forget mandatory venting tools and circle hooks if you bottom fishing in federal waters. Good idea to have them.....but mandatory.....come on leave us alone and let us enjoy the day on the water.

PLS-Tx
01-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Did something different yesterday, went fresh water fishing for White Bass.

Had a blast, fishing was slower than we had hoped. Four us did manage to bring home about 55 fish, the limit on White Bass is 25 per person.

My wife cooked 5 of them tonight, MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOOOOOODDD!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Trevor8
01-24-2010, 12:50 PM
lets see your boat/kayak

punt66
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I shutter when i see that pic. As long as their getting used. :)

PLS-Tx
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
lets see your boat/kayak

I will try to find a pic of it.

eatonpcat
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I throw White Bass back in Ohio!!! Unless they are Striped Bass??

Does look like a fun day though!!

PLS-Tx
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
You throw them back? They are delicious.

Premier landscaping south
01-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Those are stripers. We have some great Striper fishing here in SC in Lake Hartwell. I wil fish a few times a year for them. My boat is more of a ski boat than a fishing boat but I make it work. Best time is in winter of all times. I think the state record is 60lbs or so. I have caught a 14 pounder and it was fun as all get out! Free lining a blue back herring. Now I want to go fishing.

punt66
01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
no, those are white bass not stripers. Dorsal fins are close together and the big hump behind the head is also a giveaway. Mant do confuse a young striper with a white bass though.

PLS-Tx
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
no, those are white bass not stripers. Dorsal fins are close together and the big hump behind the head is also a giveaway. Mant do confuse a young striper with a white bass though.

Yep, White Bass not Stripers.

Premier landscaping south
01-27-2010, 12:49 AM

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me. Just took a quick glance at the pic and did not look at the head.

PLS-Tx
01-28-2010, 02:53 AM
I think I'm going to chase some Reds tomorrow.

It's going to be 71 here. :):)

Cummins343
01-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Everything is frozen here right now. It sucks. Can't do any fishing right now.

PLS-Tx
02-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Well, tomorrow looks to be the best weather day this week for us.

Not a great day but I'll take what I can get.

This has been one very WET and COLD winter for us.

Anyone want to guess what I'll be doing tomorrow????? :cool2::cool2::cool2:

punt66
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Well, tomorrow looks to be the best weather day this week for us.

Not a great day but I'll take what I can get.

This has been one very WET and COLD winter for us.

Anyone want to guess what I'll be doing tomorrow????? :cool2::cool2::cool2:

awwwww. :rolleyes: hahahah nothing will make me feel sorry for you. Its 26 outside right now.

Hawg City Lawns
02-03-2010, 02:29 AM
37 inches of red fish yes 10 inches over max length

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/redfish2.jpg

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/redfish3.jpg

11.5 pound hybrid striper only a pound off lake record dont mind me i was only 14

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/striper.jpg

PLS-Tx
02-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Caught several rat Reds and one 17" Trout.

Might go Sat. going to be sunny and about 61. Living in Tx. is rough.

PLS-Tx
02-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Went out for a few hours today. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 60.

John Deere Mann
02-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Fresh Water Vandallia Illinois is were i go. Catfish is is my choice of fish.

eatonpcat
02-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Went out for a few hours today. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 60.

That sea trout looks tastey!!:drinkup:

PLS-Tx
02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
That sea trout looks tastey!!:drinkup:

Sea Trout or Specks as we call them here are VERY tastey!!!!!

Here is one from a trip a few days ago. My wife baked that one for me right after I cleaned it, MMMMMM good.

Winter fishing is very SLOOOOOOW at times but it sure beats sitting at the house.

PLS-Tx
02-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Quick trip today, only had a couple of hours. It was cloudy and in the mid 40's, but tomorrow is going to be colder and raining, so I'll take what I can get.

Only one keeper, 27" 8.5#. :)

PLS-Tx
02-14-2010, 01:52 AM
We have had a ton of rain here for the past few weeks, so I have had plenty of time to go fishing.

I can't wait for things to dry up some, I'm ready for spring.

Here's a fish from today.

eatonpcat
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
We have had a ton of rain here for the past few weeks, so I have had plenty of time to go fishing.

I can't wait for things to dry up some, I'm ready for spring.

Here's a fish from today.

You're killing me with all these fish pictures.... I did eat some fish sticks yesterday though!!:laugh:

PLS-Tx
02-15-2010, 02:23 AM
You're killing me with all these fish pictures.... I did eat some fish sticks yesterday though!!:laugh:

I guess it's kinda hard to fish with all the snow you guys are getting. ;)

My wife is planning to cook up some fish Tues. night.

Nothing better than Redfish on the half shell. :cool2::cool2:

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2010, 04:04 PM
We are headed out of Venice LA feb 20th going after some triple digit Yellowfin tuna. Will post some pics up here when we get back on Sunday.

punt66
02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
We are headed out of Venice LA feb 20th going after some triple digit Yellowfin tuna. Will post some pics up here when we get back on Sunday.

awesome! Have a great time!!!!!!

PLS-Tx
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Sounds like fun, can't wait to see the pics.

PLS-Tx
02-17-2010, 12:45 AM
The ground is soooooooo wet here.

So, I hit the water today just after daybreak. It was 29 when I left the house, 34 when I got to the launch.

No biggy, layered up, and with the sun out it warmed quick.

Had a blast, brought home a limit of Reds, caught 15 or so rat Reds.

Had Redfish on the halfshell for supper, mmmmmmmmmm GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

DoetschOutdoor
02-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Dam you TAC!!! I am getting out this weekend to set out some jugs and trout lines but gotta get my trolling motor before I can do any serious fishin with the new duck rig. Hard to drop the $650 on the motorguide wireless I gotta have now during the winter when I should be buying stuff for the upcoming season. Cant wait to get out and post some pics of my own on this thread instead of looking at TAC sleighing them!

eatonpcat
02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
TAC... Put a couple those Reds in the mail for me... Lucky Ba$tard!!!

That's right I am now officially jealous!!

PLS-Tx
02-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Well, this is all I have to show for a hard day of fishing. ;)

Nice day, little windy, lots of folks fishing but not much catching.

This one Spec and one rat Red was it for me, there is always next time. :)

DoetschOutdoor
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Another cool half million bucks for Kevin Vandam last night at the bassmasters classic. Amazing the limits these guys were catchin even in cold, no fish under 3 or so pounds. Wonder what kinda bonus BassPro has in the mail for KVD. Must be nice!!!!

CrazyBlonde
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
LOVE to fish! That or a long M/C ride! Best way to get a load off my mind. I haven't fished since my dad passed away, It was kinda "our thing". I need to get back out there cuz that's what he would want.

I LOVE saltwater, but it doesn't love me! I do all the "chumming" if ya know what I mean...but I reel em in anyways! Very exciting, on a charter day trip, going over and under all the lines. I've won the boat prize for best catch, so that was fun! I thought the prize was for me being the best catch, but they meant the fish! :confused: I really enjoy getting Yellowtail, then smoking them. Usually go to Fisherman's Landing in San Diego.

I LOVE lake fishing. Mostly Bass and Trout. Also get lots of Crappie, and occasionally some Cat. I usually catch and release. If I can keep em from swallowing the hook! Those I cook up!

I really get a kick out of ICE FISHING in Colorado!!! I seem to have a lucky streak at that. Guys all around me will wonder how I get my limit in an hour, and they only have a couple. It's my secret way I set up the bait, a special combination in a certain order on the hook. ( I guess???) I sold my auger, so now I have to go to the holes some guy drilled and left when they moved to another hole. They HATE it when I start pulling out the trout!

LOVE Fishing the streams in Colorado for the brookies too. Used to take a couple of pack horses into the mountains and stay for the weekend. Gosh I miss all that!

I got tons of stories about fishing, but a funny one is:
There are alot of rattlesnakes where we fished. If the lake was crowded we would have to go to shore so I could pee! Can't just whip it out like you guys do and not get noticed! So we'd go to shore so I could find a tree. ALL THE WAY into shore Dad would preach "Now watch out for rattlers" over and over, and over. (I seem to have rattler run-ins more than most people, they like me I guess.) Well I always repeated "I know dad, I know!" So I scramble up the bank, the lake is CROWDED with guys and I head for the tree. I checked that spot soooooo good for rattlers. I squatted and all of a sudden BZZZZZZZZZZZZ! He was right under me, and pissed on, and pissed off! It was 5'2" A fat monster! He struck at my shoes, I jumped up out of my shorts and ran behind a rock yelling at my dad that my shorts were on a rattler. Well here comes EVERYBODY, and I'm trying to hide behind a rock. Dad came to my rescue, The End

Thanks for reminding me! Now, I'm headed to the store for some Fishy Pretzels! Those are the LONG Pretzel RODS, that you can still eat while your fishing without washing the fish guts and worm goo off your hands. You just eat it almost to the end, and throw the fish-gut-gooey-worm tip of the pretzel rod into the lake!

Love ya Dad, thinkin 'bout cha! :angel:

punt66
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
hey TAC. I am hooking up to the boat and heading down to the condo on Saturday. My plan is to fish the flats, the islands, the keys and of couse some everglade bassin. Any suggestions? I am a freshwater fisherman but want to learn inshore salt. I will be in naples and have 2 weeks to fish southwest FL.

DoetschOutdoor
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
hey TAC. I am hooking up to the boat and heading down to the condo on Saturday. My plan is to fish the flats, the islands, the keys and of couse some everglade bassin. Any suggestions? I am a freshwater fisherman but want to learn inshore salt. I will be in naples and have 2 weeks to fish southwest FL.

Hauling the skeeter all the way down to florida? How many miles is that trip?

punt66
03-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Hauling the skeeter all the way down to florida? How many miles is that trip?

actually i am taking my champion 201. I dont mind beating her up. its 1500 miles one way.

eatonpcat
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM

What Key will be your home base??? I realize you said flats and islands,But with a twenty foot Champ... The flats may be some difficult manuevering. My suggestion would be to head out to about 80 foot of water and bottom fish the reef. Never know what you might catch. Maybe slack line and chum for some yellow tails!! Good luck and I'm jealous, Show use some pictures of the catch!!!

punt66
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
What Key will be your home base??? I realize you said flats and islands,But with a twenty foot Champ... The flats may be some difficult manuevering. My suggestion would be to head out to about 80 foot of water and bottom fish the reef. Never know what you might catch. Maybe slack line and chum for some yellow tails!! Good luck and I'm jealous, Show use some pictures of the catch!!!

i am basing out of Naples. Are the flats that shallow? I plan to chum for bulls as well in the ten thousand islands. But good idea for the yellow tails. I would need to deep chum for them though right? Maybe drop it down on a down rigger? I will take plenty of pics and post them here. I am new to the salt so any help and advice would be much appreciated. Including rigging advice. I am all loaded up and ready to go! I leave sat morning! yeeaa

PLS-Tx
03-07-2010, 01:01 AM

Didn't see your post until today, I hope you do well.

I went out today, 2 rat Reds no slots, several Trout. Had a blast, it was a beautiful day to be on the water. :)

eatonpcat
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Didn't see your post until today, I hope you do well.

I went out today, 2 rat Reds no slots, several Trout. Had a blast, it was a beautiful day to be on the water. :)

AAArgggghhhh!!! That does it dude, the house is going up for sale and I'm movin' to where the fish are!!!!:laugh:

Don't want to sound stupid, but what is a Rat Red???

WillieWonka1850
03-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Last October me and my uncle each caught a little Northern out it Bay City, MI.

The left one is mine; 22" The right one is my uncle's; 20"

These little guys are about the best we did in '09 lol

This year will be lot better though. For one my uncle might be getting a boat. And I'm going to a Walleye festival next weekend, might catch some nice 'eyes. I'll be sure to get some pics and maybe even video :cool2:

Ok, here are those Pike,

PLS-Tx
03-08-2010, 01:09 AM
AAArgggghhhh!!! That does it dude, the house is going up for sale and I'm movin' to where the fish are!!!!:laugh:

Don't want to sound stupid, but what is a Rat Red???

A rat Red is a Red under 20", 20-28" slot Red, and over 28" Bull Red.

The slot and Bull makes sense but I never have understood rat.

A Speckled Trout must be at least 15", under 15" and it's called a dink. I don't know why but that's what they are called.

Btw, those are Tx. limits. In Louisiana, which is a few minutes from my hose, the limit on Reds is 16", I forget the upper slot. Also, in La you can keep 5 Reds in Tx. 3.

PLS-Tx
03-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Last October me and my uncle each caught a little Northern out it Bay City, MI.

The left one is mine; 22" The right one is my uncle's; 20"

These little guys are about the best we did in '09 lol

This year will be lot better though. For one my uncle might be getting a boat. And I'm going to a Walleye festival next weekend, might catch some nice 'eyes. I'll be sure to get some pics and maybe even video :cool2:

Ok, here are those Pike,

Wow, those are neat looking fish. Do they put up a good fight? Are they good to eat?

eatonpcat
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
A rat Red is a Red under 20", 20-28" slot Red, and over 28" Bull Red.

The slot and Bull makes sense but I never have understood rat.

A Speckled Trout must be at least 15", under 15" and it's called a dink. I don't know why but that's what they are called.

Btw, those are Tx. limits. In Louisiana, which is a few minutes from my hose, the limit on Reds is 16", I forget the upper slot. Also, in La you can keep 5 Reds in Tx. 3.

Thanks!!!!!

PLS-Tx
03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks!!!!!

Sure.

Do me a favor, keep all that cold stuff up there will ya. :laugh:

I think everyone is ready for spring.

WillieWonka1850
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Wow, those are neat looking fish. Do they put up a good fight? Are they good to eat?
Thanks. Pike do put up a pretty good fight. They can get a lot bigger, too. Some have been recorded up to 50" long!

Oh yes their good to eat. I've never had Pike but I've heard its one of the best tasting fish

PLS-Tx
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks. Pike do put up a pretty good fight. They can get a lot bigger, too. Some have been recorded up to 50" long!

Oh yes their good to eat. I've never had Pike but I've heard its one of the best tasting fish

Very interesting, man I love to fish. I love to eat them also.

You guys need to come down here sometime and try Redfish on the halfshell, MMM gooooooooooda. :):)

PLS-Tx
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Another pic of the Trout.

PLS-Tx
03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
This is all I have to show for today's effort, one 16" Trout.

Went to the same place as last Sat., but the fish did not show up.

punt66
03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
This is all I have to show for today's effort, one 16" Trout.

Went to the same place as last Sat., but the fish did not show up.

well its friday and I started in the freshwater. The everglades took a big hit from the extra cold weather and had a big fish kill so there isnt much going on in the backwaters. After 2 days i gave up on inland waters. The third day i launched the boat in everglades city and worked the 100000 islands looking for what ever swims. It was a slow start as this was new to me. I found cruising fish in the shallows and saw some tailing. I threw everything at them except the kitchen sink. Nothing. Lets just say extreme discouragment was setting in. So i regrouped. Bought live shrimp and started working popping corks and bottom fishing as well. Finally! I finished the third day with 6 trout, 2 black drum, a snook and a fer white fish. I kept the 1 black drum 2 white fish and 1 trout to try for dinner. Wow were they good eating! Unfortunatly its been raining for the last couple days but it also gave to a chance to hit all the local bait shops for some tips. Boy did i get some good tips. One guide even gave me GPS coordinates for 2 reefs and a wreck to try. He also gave me coordinates for a large grass bed that he said i will be able to boat 100+ trout on. Hitting that tomarrow. I will load up some pics soon.

On the way in on that third day i stopped in the middle of a channel and dropped a live shrimp right down. I immedietly got a big hit. I set the hook a fought a large black drum up to the boat but was not able to land him. The hook came out. He was at least 20lbs. In that same spot i also caught 2 nassau grouper. Looking forward to Sat morning now that i have things figured out.

The fish are not in the shallows yet because the water temps are cold from the harsh winter. Oh well, i will take them any way i can get them. More updates coming soon.

DoetschOutdoor
03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Punt you eating the drums? Thought those were kinda trashfish but I may be completely wrong....?

PLS-Tx
03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Punt you eating the drums? Thought those were kinda trashfish but I may be completely wrong....?

The large Black Drum are no good to eat, they have worms, but the smaller ones are good.

Not sure about everywhere else but down here they are called "big uglies". I guess because they are big and well, ugly. ;)

PLS-Tx
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
well its friday and I started in the freshwater. The everglades took a big hit from the extra cold weather and had a big fish kill so there isnt much going on in the backwaters. After 2 days i gave up on inland waters. The third day i launched the boat in everglades city and worked the 100000 islands looking for what ever swims. It was a slow start as this was new to me. I found cruising fish in the shallows and saw some tailing. I threw everything at them except the kitchen sink. Nothing. Lets just say extreme discouragment was setting in. So i regrouped. Bought live shrimp and started working popping corks and bottom fishing as well. Finally! I finished the third day with 6 trout, 2 black drum, a snook and a fer white fish. I kept the 1 black drum 2 white fish and 1 trout to try for dinner. Wow were they good eating! Unfortunatly its been raining for the last couple days but it also gave to a chance to hit all the local bait shops for some tips. Boy did i get some good tips. One guide even gave me GPS coordinates for 2 reefs and a wreck to try. He also gave me coordinates for a large grass bed that he said i will be able to boat 100+ trout on. Hitting that tomarrow. I will load up some pics soon.

On the way in on that third day i stopped in the middle of a channel and dropped a live shrimp right down. I immedietly got a big hit. I set the hook a fought a large black drum up to the boat but was not able to land him. The hook came out. He was at least 20lbs. In that same spot i also caught 2 nassau grouper. Looking forward to Sat morning now that i have things figured out.

The fish are not in the shallows yet because the water temps are cold from the harsh winter. Oh well, i will take them any way i can get them. More updates coming soon.

Can't wait to see the pics. Glad you found some fish.

I think my next trip is going to be freshwater, I want to catch some large mouth bass while they are spawning.

PLS-Tx
03-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Went to a bayou close to the house late today.

Caught 3 Bass, largest one was a whopping 11".

Ok, I'm ready to go back to the salt. :)

PLS-Tx
03-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Where are the pics?

eatonpcat
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Where are the pics?

Ditto That!!

punt66
03-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Where are the pics?

well i just got home last night after 2 days of driving. To ad to the list, snook, snapper, black tip shark, and a boat load of cats fishing the channels. I didnt keep any fish after that first time. I spent the whole day today in the hospital dealing with a flare up of a medical condition but am a ok. Just have a few more holes in me! Its 75 sat and sunday and the ice is gone! So i am fishing this weekend! I will load up some pics soon. I am sitting here in a bit of pain and a bit tired so maybe sat night i will load them up. The Boat ran like a CHAMPION she is and i did get pulled over and boarded :hammerhead:. Florida does a bad job marking no wake zones! hahah

AI Inc
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Punt did ya get your reg form for the lake champlain international?

punt66
03-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Punt did ya get your reg form for the lake champlain international?

no, i am not a member.

cutbetterthanyou
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Don't know if this counts, but this is what i started doing in the winter.The pics are about 1500 pounds of white perch.Long days but fun if you don't mind working.

punt66
03-23-2010, 07:30 AM
where are you catching the perch and what do you do with them?

cutbetterthanyou
03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
The chesapeke bay in maryland. We sell them to a guy locally then they go to the new york market

punt66
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
The chesapeke bay in maryland. We sell them to a guy locally then they go to the new york market

what do you get per pound?

cutbetterthanyou
03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Thats the thing that sucks if no one is catching them the price is more. The "Calls" big ones i have seen as high as $1.50 a pound. Then if everyone is catching, i have seen them as low as 30 cents a pound. The meduims are basically just over the legal size are $1.25 down to 20 cents.most ppl won't go when they get down around 30/20 cents.

DoetschOutdoor
03-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Got the new boat out today and what do ya know....got talkin to an old timer when I was backin the boat up and forgot to put the plug in !!1:hammerhead: Launched the boat, pulled her up on bank and then went and talked to old timer for another 5 minutes. By the time I made it down to the water, the back of my boat had 2 foot of water in her! Half hour later I was on the water, only 1 dink bite though. Be back out in a few days.

punt66
03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Got the new boat out today and what do ya know....got talkin to an old timer when I was backin the boat up and forgot to put the plug in !!1:hammerhead: Launched the boat, pulled her up on bank and then went and talked to old timer for another 5 minutes. By the time I made it down to the water, the back of my boat had 2 foot of water in her! Half hour later I was on the water, only 1 dink bite though. Be back out in a few days.

hahaha, happens. I have not done that yet but my good friend and tournament fisherman does it once a year. hahahha I am sure my time is coming though. I lost a plug once on the lake. Have no idea how that happened.

PLS-Tx
03-24-2010, 12:32 AM
I hope I get to go this Saturday, didn't make it last weekend, been busy.

I think I may start taking off early one day a week so I can get some fishing in. :)

eatonpcat
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM

My first boat...Picked it up at the dealer brand new, drove it to the Chesapeake Bay, backed it into the water on April 1st, jumped in started it , looked down and the ski locker was full of water. Into the cold water I went....They will sell anyone a boat, experience or not. Will never forget the plug again!!!:laugh:

DoetschOutdoor
03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
I can remember bout 15 years ago when my mom bought my dad his first used fiberglass boat right before he got back from the desert...we went to launch it in the gator infested lake and forgot to take the back straps off:hammerhead: Kinda embarrasing but learned that one. His boat is lucky enough to have indoor storage but my duck boat sits out so I haft leave the plug out.

PLS-Tx
03-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Well, Sat is out for me, working again. I'm going to try for Monday.

That sure is a lot of White Perch. ;)

PLS-Tx
04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I made it out last Monday, kind of slow, did manage 4-5 rat Reds, 1 slot Red 25", and 1 Trout 16-17".

Felt good to be on the water again. :)

punt66
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
nice fishes, sorry for the delays with the pics guys. I have been very ill. In and out of the hospital and am going in for surgery. I will post soon.

PLS-Tx
04-04-2010, 02:17 AM
nice fishes, sorry for the delays with the pics guys. I have been very ill. In and out of the hospital and am going in for surgery. I will post soon.

Sorry to here that, hope you get to feeling better real soon.

I made it out again today, it was the warmest day so far this year 81.

Caught 2 slot Reds, 20" and 26", and several rat Reds.

I had one more nice slot Red up to the boat and at the last minute he shot under the boat and broke me off.

All in all it was a great day on the water.

PLS-Tx
04-05-2010, 02:57 AM
My wife cooked these two on the half shell tonight, UMMMMM good. :)

PLS-Tx
04-12-2010, 02:36 AM
You can tell everyone is busy, not near as much interest in this thread as there was a few months ago when we all had cabin fever.

I did make it out again Sat., had a storm blow through so I got a real late start.

Caught about 6 rat Red's, one 25" slot Red, and one 17-18" Flounder.

DoetschOutdoor
04-13-2010, 11:08 AM
TAC, can you fill me in on what rat, slot, etc. means when you talk about these fish? Sweet pics, Ive made it out 2 times and still gettin my boat setup to do some serious fishin soon so Ill try and snap some pics as well and we can keep this thread alive.

punt66
04-13-2010, 02:24 PM
A rat is a youg red that are in the shallows. The big ones are offshore for the most part. Slot is a a certain size. For example, 15"-20" can be a slot. A slot can either be protected or you can only take fish within the slot. Tac is allowed 1 over the slot if its tagged. Pick up a reg book because you have to be carefull. Every species has different regulations.

ajslands
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Anyone fly fish?
Posted via Mobile Device