PDA

View Full Version : Winter Lawn Maintenance Tips

Smallaxe
12-26-2009, 06:27 AM
This is referred to a 'winterizer', the most important app of the year. When do you apply in relation to your dormant period?

Smallaxe
12-27-2009, 06:41 AM
How did that happen? The original poster is gone.

RigglePLC
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Smallaxe,
Message gone. (Not my job to watch it.)
About the timeing of the winterizer. I feel that it should be applied after the first frost for sure, but also ideally when the temps are consistently below 45 during the day. In other words, when the grass stops growing and the lawn mowers are put away for the season. In reality, we do it when the previous round is completed. This year mostly around November 4th. Probably it is a little colder where you are. In my mind, the idea is to get the nitrogen into the roots (potash, too), so it can be stored for the winter--and also probably result in deeper fatter, stronger roots. In theory, top growth will be inhibited because of the cold, and the result is earlier stronger spring green up.

However, in my experience, spring green up is mainly dependent on soil temp and species of grass. Ryegrass greens up sooner than Kentucky blue and sod-type grasses.

Smallaxe
12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I tend to agree with you on those points. Here we are done mowing in Septer/Oct and the Winterizer suggestted by the local Extension office is Thanksgiving time. To me that is nothing more than an early, early Spring feeding.

To me building up the soil's fertility through out the season is more beneficial than trying to force feed it b4 it goes to sleep for the winter. With proper fertility all along it will grow to its maximum potential. Each specie has its best and worst performance, according to its environment. :)

anotherturfgeek
01-02-2010, 12:16 AM
In this zone I am in, NC the temps are wishy washy, 60 1 day 20 the next. I wait till december for the winterizer apps, right after thanks giving.
I also agree that it is the most important app.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I tend to agree with you on those points. Here we are done mowing in Septer/Oct and the Winterizer suggestted by the local Extension office is Thanksgiving time. To me that is nothing more than an early, early Spring feeding.

To me building up the soil's fertility through out the season is more beneficial than trying to force feed it b4 it goes to sleep for the winter. With proper fertility all along it will grow to its maximum potential. Each specie has its best and worst performance, according to its environment. :)

I agree - I also concentrate on good, high quality feedings during the main season. I do not do the Thanksgiving App here, aka winterizer. My last app generally is mid-Oct when the plants can still fully utilize the nutrients.