PDA

View Full Version : Best time to advertise in New Jersey????

FOX8701
12-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Hello, I'm new to this website, so i'll start off by introducing myself, i'm Dennis, I have a small lawn business that i'm looking to progress this year. I work full time with my local township, but looking to boost my income with my business and enjoy doing it.

So my question is, I have made doorhangers w/ rubberbands attached for easy placing on neighborhood front doors. When would be the best prime time to start walking around to distribute them? I know there are many threads on here that say about february, but isn't that just a bit to early? I know that the callback-success rate of going door-to-door isn't quite the best, but i also don't want to waste all the marketing and having no new accounts, which is everyones bad nightmare.

I don't mind walking around with a few friends, in fact i may actually lose a few pounds in the proces.s, LOL. Any other options regarding ways to adverrtise? I plan on placing an ad in the local churches bulletin and local town paper and in supermarkets etc. Problem is i don't have insurance for the business yet being i only have 9 lawns as of now. Do you think this will be a problem without insurance? If customers pay by cash it shouldn't be a problem right?

jeffslawnservice
12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Try mid February and then again early to mid March. Hit the same area twice I did that last year and had a decent return on leads. But I think the best way to get work is word of mouth. I have gotten about 95% or my work through word of mouth. Best of luck to you this year.

Glenn Lawn Care
12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
all year round! dont stop til you get enough.... c'mon

phasthound
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I would strongly advise you to get insurance.

FOX8701
12-27-2009, 04:13 PM
of course you can never have enough advertising.. heh.

and i know many people who don't use insurance, which i know isn't a good thing, but for a small side business is it really worth the money for ten-twenty lawns?

TSB group
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Its worth the money for the first person that gets hurt!

JB1
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
of course you can never have enough advertising.. heh.

and i know many people who don't use insurance, which i know isn't a good thing, but for a small side business is it really worth the money for ten-twenty lawns?

NAH your right. you don't need no stinking insurance.

FOX8701
12-28-2009, 10:57 PM
NAH your right. you don't need no stinking insurance.

Are you being sarcastic?

Cause i looked into insurance, and for $2600. a year i think i'll take the chance like everyone else seems to do

blk90s13
12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
are you an actual business or just a name and number ?

insurance in NJ is a must mofos are sue happy around here lol

FOX8701
12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
that i know, but i wouldn't consider myself a full business quite yet, but i'm trying to head into that direction to be self sufficient.

xclusive
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

Cause i looked into insurance, and for $2600. a year i think i'll take the chance like everyone else seems to do

that seems a little high unless thats with a commericial vehicle. Try looking into Farm Family insurance they have great rates. There is a Farm Family in south Jersey got a 1 mil policy it is around $550 a year just for business ins

bighunter301
01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
You need insurance when your truck gets hit and your private insurance drops you because your truck is being used commercially. Hence illegally insurance fraud Also you need to get LLC to protect your house from the same guy that hit you now sues and your house is not protected....LLC allows him to sue the company and keeps your personal house cars boat whatnot safe......Company has no money SO go ahead and sue.....

helidriver
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey kiddo, You should shop insurances. You can cut that in half and I know for a fact. Shop that insurance to another 6 insurers. Insurance pays for itself the first time you have a theft or lawsuit. I lost a trailer load of equipment once.....Insurance insurance insurance........Think low rates and shop that damn rate kiddo.

DLAWNS
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree that insurance is an absolute must. You'll be sorry later if you don't have it. As for the question of when to advertise in Jersey....it's hard to say exactly, I try to go by the weather....I like to start late February and than hit it hard again sometime in March usually when the weather starts breaking because that's when people start thinking about their lawns and landscapes.

lawncareboise
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree that you should send out fliers starting in February and hit the same homes at least a couple times. We have found that we get some customers from our April and May fliers. A lot of people make their decision last minute, like after the grass should have been mowed two weeks earlier.

LB1234
01-14-2010, 09:13 AM
is 2600 really worth losing your house or any other assets?

Grass Shark
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Its worth the money for the first person that gets hurt!

HA HA! You have a truck for every mower, thats cool!