PDA

View Full Version : Larger Trucks to Avoid Emissions Junk

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
This seems to be a growing concept Im hearing more all the time. I was wondering what the smallest trucks are that are subject to less or no emissions junk or if there is a certain gvw class that exempts it.

Has anyone gone through with this idea, what did you buy over what alternative?

4 seasons lawn&land
12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
maybe not...

Gravel Rat
12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Anything out of a pickup truck class something like a Freightliner doesn't have as much emmission crap so your not going to get away from it totally.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
well new 1 1/2- 2 ton trucks have the new exhaust systems. The new NPR's are "clean diesel" and Ford 550's also.

stuvecorp
12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you can get away from this nonsense any more.:hammerhead:

hosejockey2002
12-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Even the largest trucks are subject to the 2010 emission requirements. The next fire engines we buy will either have DPF or urea injection.

Hanau
12-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Isn't there something coming down about 5 minutes of idle and the diesel shuts off?

Mile_high
12-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Even the largest trucks are subject to the 2010 emission requirements. The next fire engines we buy will either have DPF or urea injection.

The next round of all American diesels will most likely have both. Thus fuel economy will drop like a rock.

I have a 2009 duramax that got ~13mpg stock. When it went into regen mode it dipped down to 8 at an extreme. I straight piped it and used EFI to delete the DPF coding and it gets 17.5 in town/20 hwy

Isn't there something coming down about 5 minutes of idle and the diesel shuts off?

It's called clean idle. California jobsite regulations is what I've been told.

AintNoFun
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM

in nj its a law you gotta shut it down your self after 3 mins..

it used to be here under 19k gvw you didn't need the emissions i dont know if its still like that....

4 seasons lawn&land
12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
The next round of all American diesels will most likely have both. Thus fuel economy will drop like a rock.

I have a 2009 duramax that got ~13mpg stock. When it went into regen mode it dipped down to 8 at an extreme. I straight piped it and used EFI to delete the DPF coding and it gets 17.5 in town/20 hwy

It's called clean idle. California jobsite regulations is what I've been told.

Yeah that's the way to do it. Only prob is warranty stuff.

Mile_high
12-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah that's the way to do it. Only prob is warranty stuff.

Trucks that make 773hp on #2 only don't go in for warranty work:cool2:

Average joe needs to wait 100k miles to rip it out though, you are correct.

weed wacker 2
12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
The thing I do not get is that all of the emissions crap hurts the fuel mileage of the vehicles which makes them burn more fuel and pollute more. If they didn't put the crap on there it would help the fuel mileage which equals less fuel burned. One would think that if your burning less fuel you would be polluting less. Also, we are suppose to be running out of oil anyways. Less fuel burned= less oil used. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Its all about the government and the almighty dollar.

mowerbrad
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Our fire department got our new tanker this past spring. The truck itself is a 2009 international with the Maxxforce9 engine. The engine is a smooth running engine and has plenty of power. When you compare this truck to our two engines (one a 1989? and one a 1994) it does run cleaner. There is little to no black smoke coming out of the exhaust that I see on both other engines. I can't speak for the fuel economy since we don't track that. Despite all the emissions stuff on it, it is a nice engine.

flow69
01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
The thing I do not get is that all of the emissions crap hurts the fuel mileage of the vehicles which makes them burn more fuel and pollute more. If they didn't put the crap on there it would help the fuel mileage which equals less fuel burned. One would think that if your burning less fuel you would be polluting less. Also, we are suppose to be running out of oil anyways. Less fuel burned= less oil used. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Its all about the government and the almighty dollar.

Yes, us "stupid people" (according to the libs in congress) can't figure this out, but they have our solutions made already. The result is dpf, etc. The libs in congress are idiots and can't seem to figure out that burning more fuel is probly a lot worse for the environment than a little soot into the air. What the guy above did with the dpf delete is the best thing you can do, diesel trucks run better and cleaner with a straight pipe than the stupid dpf. It's all a crock and about saving mother earth. Al Gore is very smart, deceiving the idiots into believing his scheme (in which he should be arrested for a ponzi scheme, forget madoff) and making milions and worst of all, influencing lawmakers....:dizzy: