PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Cost

fleetfeetstar
12-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Like many lawn care services, I started up small and I'm now starting to expand. My brother and I are partners in our business and are stuggling to really get started. One main problem is our small customer base, we only have about 5 and can't expand without more money, but how if we can't take care of everyone with the little amount of equipment we have? Does anyone have any suggestions for how they started out? I was glad when we bought our first work truck, a 1994 ford ranger but now the compotistion for snow removal in unbarable in Michigan with all the guys driving big monster trucks with 8 foot plows and my brother and I trying to compete with just a couple of snow blowers and shovels. As far as lawn care were doing alright, we have the mowers and such but without a plow in Michigan weather were being barried alive by the big guys who already started there business and have 40-50 customers, anyways any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Ukisuperstar
12-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Gotta put money into the company to get money out of the company. Try doing some marketing with flyers, newpaper ads, classifieds. Make a website and get your name out there!

jeffslawnservice
12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree with the above post about you have to put money into your company to make money. And as far as the truck goes, I currently have a 1996 F-150 2x4. I can't plow with it but for landscaping and mowing it does fine. I'm going to tough it out using a snow blower this winter and use the profits from that and some profits from the spring to buy as newer truck with 4x4 and a plow before next winter.

Lawn Man Dave
12-27-2009, 02:57 PM
You have to spend money to make money....

DiscoDave
12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Have you thought about contacting some of the plow operations that maintain a lot of HOA's or apartment complexes and see if they need help with the sidewalks as a subcontractor?

Just a thought.

whosedog
12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
My son has a 1995 Ford Ranger 4x4 ,4.0 6 cylinder engine that came with a 6.6 western plow,last year he only had one lot and the plow cost him more than he made.This year he has 5 small parking lots that he got by word of mouth,and he made more money the last storm we had than he normally makes in 2 weeks at his regular job. If yours is 4x4 you can definitely plow driveways and small lots with it.

reggie.latham
12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I started with my Lawn Care business two years ago. I was partners with my wife and my 13 year old daughter wanted to help me for extra cash. You know how long that lasted and I was mowing by myself a few weeks in the season. I stated out with my personal truck and bought a trailer and a 61" Great Dane super surfer. I love my great dane and cuts great. I purchased a Sthil weed eater and a used blower in the first year. The business is still in the red but I have been picking up equipment as I go along the way. This year I plan on taking on a friend as a kind of partner and pick up some more contracts this year. Thanks

R Latham
All Seasons Lawn Care