PDA

View Full Version : Good price?

NEUSWEDE
12-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Looking around for a used excavator. Came across this, the sales man stops by my shop once a month and had me out about a week ago to demo this machine. Bit bigger than I want would like to be around a 120, But in my quest to get a grasp on pricing and to notice deals figure I would see what you guy thought.

2003 John Deere 160 CLC 5600 Hours, pro-link thumb 36" digging bucket, Hydraulic quick coupler 2 aux Hydraulic lines, 24" tracks, A/C, 50% UC, all pins were tight when I demoed it no slop.

The quote on it was 62,000 before tax. Seems high for the amount of hours, but does the thumb and the good condition warrant a price that high?

GeoffDiamond
12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Price sounds high to me. However if your looking for an excavator around 50 to 60K thats what you will probably find for years and hours.

Dirtman2007
12-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Sounds about 10-12K too much for me

Gravel Rat
12-27-2009, 03:09 PM
That is a little high for the hours it has.

www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7109300

AWJ Services
12-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Looking around for a used excavator. Came across this, the sales man stops by my shop once a month and had me out about a week ago to demo this machine. Bit bigger than I want would like to be around a 120, But in my quest to get a grasp on pricing and to notice deals figure I would see what you guy thought.

2003 John Deere 160 CLC 5600 Hours, pro-link thumb 36" digging bucket, Hydraulic quick coupler 2 aux Hydraulic lines, 24" tracks, A/C, 50% UC, all pins were tight when I demoed it no slop.

The quote on it was 62,000 before tax. Seems high for the amount of hours, but does the thumb and the good condition warrant a price that high?

If a peice of equipment is within 10-15% of the average market price do not discard the notion of buying it. There will always be cheaper machines but you have to look at total cost not just selling price which includes what it will take to get it to you if the machine is out of state.
The machine seems to be loaded and has a hyd quick coupler which has to add to the cost.

Gravel Rat
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
The best thing is to go run it and see what its like it may have a easy 5600 hours on it or it may not. See if the dealer will let you take it to a job and try it out.

My preferance would be a Hitachi Zaxis 160LC same machine but different engine far quieter and easier on fuel. Here parts are cheaper for Hitachi than Deere go figure same machine :rolleyes:

ARP
12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Neuswede- That's funny, I glanced at that machine a few months ago. My thoughts were that for those many hours, the price should be lower like Chris said, another 10-12K. Never saw the machine in person but it looks clean from the pics. I do like the progressive link thumb.

You probably noticed it, but there is no hydraulic coupler on that machine, at least from the pics shown. Check the swing bearing for evidence of greasing and if the machine stops turning without any wierd sounds/ motions when you release the joystick. If you are serious about the machine, get some fluid samples analyzed to see what shape the internal components and systems are in.

Based on the market conditions (read: alot of used and new units available), the year of the machine, and the hours, I would consider looking elsewhere unless the dealer is really willing to deal on that machine and cut the price dramatically.

NEUSWEDE
12-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Neuswede- That's funny, I glanced at that machine a few months ago. My thoughts were that for those many hours, the price should be lower like Chris said, another 10-12K. Never saw the machine in person but it looks clean from the pics. I do like the progressive link thumb.

You probably noticed it, but there is no hydraulic coupler on that machine, at least from the pics shown. Check the swing bearing for evidence of greasing and if the machine stops turning without any wierd sounds/ motions when you release the joystick. If you are serious about the machine, get some fluid samples analyzed to see what shape the internal components and systems are in.

Based on the market conditions (read: alot of used and new units available), the year of the machine, and the hours, I would consider looking elsewhere unless the dealer is really willing to deal on that machine and cut the price dramatically.

It is at Beauragard. The machine is in great condition. It was an RTO and the guy ended up needing bigger (cat 320) so the plus is it was always serviced by the dealer at the speced intervals. The picture is from awhile back. It has a hydro coupler, I tried it out when I demoed it. They added it and all the hoses. There is a big box on either side of the boom that isnt shown in the picture that is the switch over for the coupler. It is a very tight machine. I have a small project coming up begining of the year I am going to try it out on. They are giving me a discount rental on it which I thought was fair. I am on the fence because would like a bit smaller but think having a bit bigger than what I want will give me room to grow. So instead of buying for what I need give myself some room in case I come upon a job that needs a bigger machine.

I think the dealer is willing to deal. I haven't worked them on price but they are pretty hard up so if I feel it is a great machine I will start to work them. I am looking at a used Volvo 160, 140 and a used Cat 311 and 312 at other dealers as well. Lots out there just have to find a good machine at a good deal.

stuvecorp
12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
It does look nice but I would say way out of line price wise IMHO. If you aren't in a rush keep checking.

RockSet N' Grade
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Our area is feeling the lack of work in full effect right now. Each geographic area is different.......I can just speak to what our market is right now. 200-400 sized machines in varying conditions from well kept to worn out - asking price is around $25,000 with few to no takers. 160 sized machines from newer with less hours are running the same. They are a dime a dozen and plentiful........all private parties. If you are sold on that machine, which looks unabused, will the dealer throw in some type of extended warranty or extended service contract? Wouldn't hurt to ask if you decide that Deere is for you. If you are machine hunting, this is a good time to do it. Good luck....

coopers
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree with everyone here. It looks to be in good condition for an '03 but the price is a little high; even with the QC and pro-link thumb. I'd expect a little movement in price for that (don't think it's way overpriced but again think some negotiating should bring that down) I'd expect that price tag on an '05 machine.

DirtMerchant
12-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Ship it.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7038089 (http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7038089)

DirtMerchant
12-28-2009, 02:31 AM
closer to home...

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6920956

DirtMerchant
12-28-2009, 02:35 AM
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7038089

ship it

NEUSWEDE
12-28-2009, 02:44 AM
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7038089

ship it

Thats a smoking deal!

nedly05
12-28-2009, 05:23 AM
I've never dealt with beauregard, but I stop at their place in VT on occasion. It seems a little high maybe, but I've noticed on their website that prices are a little high on everything, so maybe they are giving people more for their trades. They seem like a nice bunch of guys talking to them.

AWJ Services
12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
How much will it cost to add a hyd thumb to that machine?
I see it has no aux lines.

Gravel Rat
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
I think you would have to find a old parts machine that has a thumb on it if you wanted the piping and parts for a thumb it would be the cheapest way. Those hard lines new are very expensive like with any hydraulic system parts.

AWJ Services
12-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I think you would have to find a old parts machine that has a thumb on it if you wanted the piping and parts for a thumb it would be the cheapest way. Those hard lines new are very expensive like with any hydraulic system parts.

My point exactly.

People dwell over 10,000 dollars on a machine purchase but that same machine can make it back in a few months.
So why wait 6 months just to save a few thousand dollars or buy a cheap machine and then spend thousands equipping it to the specs you want?

I agree there are better deals but sometimes convenience has it's value as well.

stuvecorp
12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
My point exactly.

People dwell over 10,000 dollars on a machine purchase but that same machine can make it back in a few months.
So why wait 6 months just to save a few thousand dollars or buy a cheap machine and then spend thousands equipping it to the specs you want?

I agree there are better deals but sometimes convenience has it's value as well.

True, I understand your point as it can get spendy(time and money) to ad stuff to get it how you want it. I was arguing for having your cake and eating it too.:)

Gravel Rat
12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
You have to have a hydraulic thumb if you want the machine to be multi tasking. A mechanical thumb is better than nothing but a mechanical thumb can be a pain the azz.

ARP
12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
When I priced out adding a hydraulic, non-progressive link to a 160CLC it was $7-10k. A progressive link ran closer to $15K. That included running the hydraulic lines down the boom and stick.

Gravel Rat
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
If you want a thumb you want the one that mounts on the cross pin through the end of the stick you don't want a welded on thumb so a mechanical thumb mount with a hydraulic cylinder.

nedly05
12-29-2009, 04:15 AM
I dont see a coupler in that pic, maybe they added it after? If it has the QC, a Pro-link thumb, and extra lines, that could cost upwards of 20 grand, so if the machine is in decent shape and the UC is decent, its not a bad deal IMO.

On edit: Heres an '04 Kobelco 160 at Beauregards, its a little cheaper.http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6284468&dlr=1

AWJ Services
12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I agree a good hyd thumb is a must have on an excavator.

One other thing to think about is purchasing buckets for the machine.
What machine would have the most common bucket that would make it easier to find used buckets for it?