PDA

View Full Version : F800 single axle dump

fishman002
12-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I looked a a 1991 F800 single axle with an inline 6 cyl diesel, 5+2 transmission, 10 foot x 36" bed, plus 10 foot meyer 4 way snow blade today. The truck seems to be in good condition. Owner wants 9K for it with 121,000 miles and 50,000 on the rebuilt motor. Is this a good price? Also, I am new to dirt and rock hauling. In the past I have just purchased top soil and had it delivered to the job site but I think there is money to be made hauling my own and hauling for other customers. What are the rates you all charge for delivery + materials and is there money in dump trucking during this economy?

Gravel Rat
12-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Some problems with it for one I don't think you will want 5+2 gearing you may end up with some expensive repairs :laugh:

If the truck is on hydraulic brakes I wouldn't bother Ford used a system called Lucas Girling braking system again more expensive repairs. Truck has to be on air brakes.

You have to check for cab rust if its been used around road salt the cab may have lots of rust.

What does the truck have for a engine if its the 5.9 Cummins I can see why it has a rebuilt engine already. I can't remember what year Ford changed from the 6.6 and 7.8 Brazillian engines to the 5.9 and 8.3 Cummins engines. The 8.2 fuel pincher was also used but I think that truck might be too new.

RockSet N' Grade
12-28-2009, 06:23 AM
fish........I have found that a single axle does not carry enough material to make any money hauling for customers. With a tandem, you have a chance to compete, but not a single.

Mowingman
12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
That appears to be an old state highway dept. truck. I bet it has seen a lot of salt in it's former life. Better check really close for corrosion damage to the frame and sheet metal.
I had a truck about like that. Tires, registration, and insurance can add up really quickly. Unless you can haul a couple of loads every day during the landscaping/mowing season, it will not pay for itself.
I also agree with the other post about hydraulic brakes.
Those trucks sell for next to nothing at State auctions. Looks nice, but probably a $5000.00 truck, at the most.

mudmaker
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
It looks like is has a dupont overhaul to make it sell better. As long as it doesn't have a bunch of rust and corrosion painted over its fine, but they tend to hide a lot with that new paint.

ClearViewGroup
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
for a light hauling and plow truck i like it... i would like it better for a little less $$ though..as for hiring out its not worth it without a tandem or bigger unless you can get some niche customers...there are a few guys on here that make the singles pay but you have to have good relationships with contractors that have a need for deliveries of that size in areas that the big boys cant get in and out of..i am partial to that year range single axle though...i have 4 f800s in various states of disassembly ranging from 1989-1996 ;)

Gravel Rat
12-28-2009, 08:23 PM
The only time a single axle is usefull is if it is your tow vehical and it is all you do with it. With the truck having a 5+2 I wouldn't want to be towing too much weight with it. A truck with a 2 speed rear axle usually is only good for just the truck.

fishman002
12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I looked at another dump today. It is a 1985 L9000 with a NTC-290 Cummins and an eight speed transmission. The truck is double framed. Mileage is 160K. It has new tie rods, king pins and front tires. It just recieved an alignment too. The truck started out life as a flat bed dump used to deliver lumber and sides were built on by the current owner. He ahs all maintanience records since it was new. It is very clean and still retains its original blue paint.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Got any pictures ?

Those old Cummins are good engines they smoke like a b*tch but run good. A L9000 is a good truck most of them here have bad cab rust. I learned on the old Fords.

Wish Ford never dropped the Louisville Trucks they were good trucks not like the Sterlings that replaced that series.

I miss the old 1986 Ford L9000 I used to drive had a 400 Cummins 13spd the old truck drove nice it shifted good you could float the 13spd really easy.

mxridernorth
12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know. I paid $8K US for my little beasty. It's got a Cummins L10, 10 spd Eaton, jake, and air brakes. In my neck of the woods, single axles are fairly sought after as it is pretty urbanized. 172309
p.s. the photo was from before I picked it up, hence the CN Construction.

fishman002
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice. Do you think a tandem is too big for urban use?

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
A tandem is all we use here a single axle is rarely used because the travel time bettween the supplier and jobsite is a good distance away.

A tandem will go where a single axle will and the benefit of a tandem is you have more traction.

mxridernorth
12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
No. But there are plenty of jobs where a tandem is overkill. I really don't want to be in trucking (freakin old people and other useless drivers in Victoria make driving Hell) and if I need a lot of material moved I'll call someone else in, otherwise I can do it myself. Plus, I like the maneuverability of my truck. It's actually 2 ft shorter than my extended cab dually!

mxridernorth
12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
A tandem is all we use here

Where are you anyway? Wherever it is the next time I go there I'm going to make sure I bring my rain jacket.

Like I said, I'm urban and they work here.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
A customer wouldn't hire a single axle dump because for 25 dollars more they get double the load.

There really isn't any inbetween it is either a truck like my F-450 that can deliver 2 yards or a tandem that delivers 12 yards.

Most of the time jobs require 12 yards of topsoil or sand etc.

Every area is different but owning a single axle for a contractor in this area is a money looser. A few guys have tried making money with them but end up getting a tandem.

mxridernorth
12-30-2009, 10:23 PM
A customer wouldn't hire a single axle dump because for 25 dollars more they get double the load.

There really isn't any inbetween it is either a truck like my F-450 that can deliver 2 yards or a tandem that delivers 12 yards.

Most of the time jobs require 12 yards of topsoil or sand etc.

Every area is different but owning a single axle for a contractor in this area is a money looser. A few guys have tried making money with them but end up getting a tandem.

I understand that there is a need for tandems, however I've done plenty of jobs where there is only 1 - 6 yds of material required, either in or out. Plus, loading a tandem is no joy with my mini. Even my truck is difficult for that matter.

One of the main benefits I get from mine is the increased towing capability. I can tow and haul at the same time. Way more than a 450 can.

mudmaker
12-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't know. I paid $8K US for my little beasty. It's got a Cummins L10, 10 spd Eaton, jake, and air brakes. In my neck of the woods, single axles are fairly sought after as it is pretty urbanized. 172309
p.s. the photo was from before I picked it up, hence the CN Construction.

Looks like a nice little truck. Sounds like it is exactly what you need for your operation. With an L10 it should have plenty of power to pull a tag trailer as well.

Gravel Rat
12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
I understand that there is a need for tandems, however I've done plenty of jobs where there is only 1 - 6 yds of material required, either in or out. Plus, loading a tandem is no joy with my mini. Even my truck is difficult for that matter.

One of the main benefits I get from mine is the increased towing capability. I can tow and haul at the same time. Way more than a 450 can.

Most 5 ton singles are only used for towing a small mini excavator but using a single axle to haul material away or to jobs usually doesn't happen.

mxridernorth
12-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks mudmaker. I really got it to pull this thing:172334
I'm probably crazy, but you never know until you try. Should hopefully have it in 2 weeks max. Then I've got to figure out how to operate it :hammerhead:

stuvecorp
12-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Is that a Komatsu? Didn't know they did one of those?

mxridernorth
12-31-2009, 02:12 AM
Nope. Komatsu bought 3 with the intent of possibly making them themselves. The machines came back to North America a few years ago. One went right away however the other two were kept by the current owner. The machine I'm getting only has ~840 hours. Comes with 2 buckets, Helac power tilt, and winch. I'm buying another bucket as well as a roto grapple (expensive).172335