PDA

View Full Version : eligible workers with visa's

helidriver
12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I was wondering if the other members on this site are open to employing eligible foreign workers with legal work visa's in this great nation. I have my views, I would like to hear your views on this topic.

Lawn Man Dave
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
If they are legal then why not....

A lot of american workers go across the ponds for work so if people want to come here I could care less as long as they are legal.

helidriver
12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree. I employ legal mexican workers here in my landscaping business, as do others in my line of work in this area. I find no problems whatsoever with doing this but find that some people are vehemently opposed to it. So much so that I get threatened! The plain fact I try to get across is that As an american business owner I reserve the right to hire any legal worker I want. I am protected by this very government for doing so. I just find that some people are dangerously opposed to it.

Toy2
12-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree. I employ legal mexican workers here in my landscaping business, as do others in my line of work in this area. I find no problems whatsoever with doing this but find that some people are vehemently opposed to it. So much so that I get threatened! The plain fact I try to get across is that As an american business owner I reserve the right to hire any legal worker I want. I am protected by this very government for doing so. I just find that some people are dangerously opposed to it.I think the issue is: How do you know they are legal? SS,DL, don't mean a thing, now do a through background check and see what happens....

helidriver
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Legal in that we hold the work visa. I can say they are legal to be here and work.

Toy2
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Legal in that we hold the work visa. I can say they are legal to be here and work.

The H2B working visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the U.S. temporarily and engage in nonagricultural employment which is seasonal, intermittent, a peak load need, or a one-time occurrence................if this is what you have, then go for it, one of the Largest mowing contractor in Texas uses them,JUSTMOWIT.

blk90s13
12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Sure we hire them if they can provide a work permit and or a green card other than that they can go back home for all I care

helidriver
12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I agree. I dont have the time for non legal workers. I dont do it. I know they all go home in the winter unless they stay on for snow...but even they go home for a few weeks before spring. I think its a good practice. I know alot of guys who do it illegally but for some reason they dont get caught. I got checked years ago. I even had the state police come in and dip test my truck tanks for non legal diesel. I laugh because the real offenders are just down the street and never get so much as a hiccup.
I find it funny, I run a legal business and get hassled, the other guys run with illegals and all kinds of mess and nothing happens.
I guess I am just lucky.

JawZZ
12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Wrong forum.

Tell Your Story... Who Are You? Let us know a little about yourself and your lawn care and landscaping business. Let us know who you are, where you are from, and what equipment you started with and how far you have come along in the business.

helidriver
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey, I will post it for this purpose. I started in this business at the age of 13 under my father. I became a full time, on my own business in 1989. I started at this time with a toro p220(beautiful machine) and a line trimmer as well as a 16 foot trailer and a hand held gas blower. I had a pickup truck and did my best to make money period.
today, I have several crews and run the operation for larger private estate's. I use my home as a base to run everything and store equipment. I use my residence to stock pile some materials and I have equipment lists for the insurance policies. I cant type it all but.
gravely z turns
exmark z turns
1 scag z turn
three trailers
two dump trucks, mason and 8 ton.
line trimmers
chain saws
trucks
two loaders
john deere gators
golf carts
repair shop
leaf blowers
collectors
brush hogs
finish pto rears
People people and people.....
sorry just too much and its always changing
KEY IS GOOD WORKERS. ONCE YOU GET A FEW KEEP THEM HAPPY AND KEEP THEM PAID.

helidriver
12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
If I could sum up my success in a couple words it would be this. Hire good labor.
I have had so many people hired on a monday and fired on a friday and some of these people never returned for a check....just mailed it. People who work and arent afraid to work are the key to this line of work. whether it is just you as a solo operation, or a bigger company with twenty workers, they have to work of you dont make money or keep customers more than a season. I can deal with a broken or shitty mower, it can be replaced in a matter of minutes, but a good worker....that can take a long time to replace.
thanks, thats my theory. white, black or hispanic or whatever....your an asset if you know your **** and work. I respect the workers I have.