PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying this trailer

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I am in need of a bigger trailer and found this...Have talked to the owner and considering it...seems to be a fairly good price...would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/grd/1526015216.html

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyone think this may be a good idea?
thanks

tstutz
12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
what are the axles like? also i would give it a paint job. just a comparison, i purchased my 16ft brand new tandom axle trailer similar to the one you are looking at (except the length) and gave $1200. I would talk them down to around the $800 range. it just looks kind of rough. let us know what you end up doing

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks a lot..hes being honest with me and saying it is in need of a paint job...also one tire is leaking but he says he will get that fixed...

just seems like a decent deal for the size trailer it is...and i could use a bigger trailer...

thanks again.

tstutz
12-28-2009, 11:14 PM
ya. Before i make a new purchase I go over the basics. this includes income and expenses, and also project your income for next season. see if you can really justify it. also do you have multiple mowers that you must haul to each account? because i know with my 16 foot trailor i have alot of wasted space. but i need that space when i haul my polaris ranger or use it to haul a car.

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
well i haul two good sized zero turns that the single axle 6x12 is just too heavy for...plus i could use some more room when taking my big big ladder...and i feel this is a good deal for the size.

you agree?

blk90s13
12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
What size trailer do you have now ? and what size are you looking for ?

I need to down size a bit or sell mine to get an enclosed

check sig

JayD
12-28-2009, 11:59 PM
what are the axles like? also i would give it a paint job. just a comparison, i purchased my 16ft brand new tandom axle trailer similar to the one you are looking at (except the length) and gave $1200. I would talk them down to around the $800 range. it just looks kind of rough. let us know what you end up doing

I would agree with this statement .......$800 not a penny more! He will take it......Dont show him your poker face....if see's that you really want it, you will pay to much.....

Think Green
12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Storm,
1200.00 seems a bit high but that may be right for your area.
I don't know Maryland's DOTC rules, but that trailer will need some paint, securement chains, brake system, breakaway system, more safety lights. Stopping a trailer of that length and weight will tear up your brake system in 3-4 months of continuous use. I am sure you have an adequate sized truck, diesel, or 4X4 to haul this thing loaded with equipment.??
I would offer them 800.00 and negotiate. I would go ahead and redo the light wiring and run a 7-pole harness just for additions of other systems.

JayD
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Or buy one of these SLT trucks below LOL.....which is still on my wish list but I guess Santa did'nt think I was good enough....

GravelyGuy
12-29-2009, 01:14 AM
If all it needs is paint then $1200 is not too bad IMO. 20 footers or bigger are hard to come by used around here. Mostly just 12' single axle junk. Price a new one and then you may be willing to spend so time with a bucket of paint.

Richard Martin
12-29-2009, 06:50 AM
There is no way. I know why that trailer looks like it does. It's been near the Bay for way too long. It looks like it may even have been submerged a time or two. When you go to the ocean and look at the travel trailers that are set up by the beach permanently the frames on those trailers look identical to the trailer you're looking at.

The issue isn't painting that trailer. It's getting it to stop rusting. The worst and most difficult places to deal with are the joints where 2 pieces of metal were welded together. It is virtually impossible to stop the rust there. That trailer is JUNK!

For $800 more you can get a brand new trailer down here. I'm only a 5-1/2 hour, 325 mile trip. I'm truly surprised you can't find something in Delaware.

Storm the Patriot
12-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice...I got there and the guy has just sold it...a Blessing in disguise i suppose...

however i have bought a new 16 footer that is wide....over 80 inches...

thanks again

JayD
12-30-2009, 08:06 PM
OK........don't leave us hanging, lets see some pix....and tell us the scoop, like why you went with this one........

I'm sorry, you can tell its winter and I am board to death LOL.....