PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying this trailer

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I am in need of a bigger trailer and found this...Have talked to the owner and considering it...seems to be a fairly good price...would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/grd/1526015216.html

Storm the Patriot
12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
i really would like some input before i make a decision...

it is much appreciated.

laird006
12-29-2009, 10:35 AM
its a good deal for this area as long as its in good mechanical shape. about the same as i gave for my 16 footer with 2 foot sides that need cosmetic work.

Oldtimer
12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Please don't take this wrong but this is my take on this trailer.

Rusty, tire problems, wiring problems, probably no brakes and I'll bet the wheel bearings look as bad as the trailer. Do you really need a very rough, overpriced 20' trailer that needs work before you can put legally it on the road and tow it home.

Buy a new one with new trailer duty tires, new wheel bearings, electric brakes, new springs & shackles, heavy duty swing up tongue jack, new paint, new wiring and no rust.

Go to a trailer manufacturer in your area and buy a new one the length and width best suited for your uses and finance it if you have to. You need a work trailer, not one you have to work on. Be sure to get a spare tire & mount that can be locked.

Oldtimer

It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

John Ruskin, 1819 – 1900

mow king
12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Please don't take this wrong but this is my take on this trailer.

Rusty, tire problems, wiring problems, probably no brakes and I'll bet the wheel bearings look as bad as the trailer. Do you really need a very rough, overpriced 20' trailer that needs work before you can put legally it on the road and tow it home.

Buy a new one with new trailer duty tires, new wheel bearings, electric brakes, new springs & shackles, heavy duty swing up tongue jack, new paint, new wiring and no rust.

Go to a trailer manufacturer in your area and buy a new one the length and width best suited for your uses and finance it if you have to. You need a work trailer, not one you have to work on. Be sure to get a spare tire & mount that can be locked.

Oldtimer

I agree. After buying 2 different trailers for similar prices replacing the lights, tires and brakes on both - I would of been better off buying a new one and since then all the tires I've bought brand new.

If your budget is tight, I still wouldn't pay more than a grand for that trailer, you could get away fixing the tires and lights for ~$50 and fix the other issues as you make money.

Oldtimer
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
If you must buy this trailer hook it up and tow it a few miles to make sure it tracks straight and get it up to interstate speeds.

Take a person who knows trailers with you, not the seller.

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.goldengait.com/inventory/details.php?stockNo=4801

This is an example of prices a few hundred miles from you.

I checked the prices in your area and they are very high.

Some of the manufacturers use Sheffield Finance.

Oldtimer
I just can't wait to go back to work next week.

johnnybravo8802
12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree. Nothing is sweeter than buying a new trailer, loading your equipment, and going to work. Trailers seem simple but can be really expensive with several problems. There's no way I'd give $1200 for that rust bucket-maybe $800. At least, play the game and get it as low as possible. Times are tough and I can guess he needs the beer money.:drinkup:

scaglawnsnj
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
That craigs trailer looks like a money pit. Figure tires, 480-
brakes 300-
paint 400-
welding100- per hr.
wasted time tinkering 90- hr

Cost of fixing is around the price of almost new.
20' trailers aren't cheap though.

However, Im looking to off a 2006 bigtex 70tv 14' x6.3' trailer for 1800-
let me know....