PDA

View Full Version : Workers Compensation

jlmac
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Hello it's been forever since I've posted here.... I'm now semi-retired with mostly grown children as employess so I'm not required to have workers comp. I was thinking of hiring someone to help with snow shoveling which would require it. I figured this person would make about a $1000 over the next 3 months. My rate would be about $10 per 100 of wages. My quote was $850.00 for the coverage. $100 for the insurance and $750 for all the pathetic fees. I'll shovel myself thankyou... Should I just try the independent contractor route and what kind of insurance should they have. Thanks

MileHigh
12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
If your trying to run a legit business...than Employees = WC....no matter how you look at it.

Just because you have your kids working for you doesn't not negate WC....Of course if all your doing is residential work, there really won't be too many checking to see if your legit or not...but in the commercial world (which I am just starting to get a start on) will require these things for any employee and sometime including yourself sometimes to even get a chance to bid on jobs.

With the snow...it's easier to get around....you can hire a "shovel crew"...basically someone who caries there own business name to sub the shoveling to...have them sign a workmans comp waiver...and then it's on them to carry the necessary requirements to do business legit.

And just to let you know... a 10% Workmans comp policy is pretty good for snow...People break there hips and ankles, and hurt there backs shoveling snow, so they get a lot of claims for snow removal.

Out here for both snow and landscape maintenance it's around 10%-18%. Brutal.

And of course there is just one large company offering WC...and no competition to bring the percentage down to something decent.

jlmac
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, I do run a legit business... not worth the hassle not to. Since I employee only family members the state does allow them to sign waivers to opt out of coverage. They have regular health insurance anyway and since the law allows them to opt out of workers comp their regular insurance has to cover them if somethings happens. I think I'll bite the bullet and get the coverage because your point about customers especially commercial clients want to see the comp coverage to matter what.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-01-2010, 03:13 AM
$850 annual for someone scooping snow?
Get more quotes I'd say.