PDA

View Full Version : Penn mulch

little green guy
04-03-2000, 09:18 PM
I was wondering how well that penn mulch stuff works. I havn't seen it around here that much but it looks like it's alot easier to spread than straw. Also how does it compare in price with straw?? thanks

steveair
04-03-2000, 09:55 PM
My opinions<p>Penn mulch is great for certain applications. I find it especially useful for smaller areas, like patches in lawns, small renovation areas (like 10 by 10'), and so on. Also, it is great for use near roads, walks, etc. Anywhere where straw always ends up blowing off, no matter what you do. Still, not in large areas though.<p>For total lawns (large), I can't say I would use it. Its expensive, around 17 a 50 lb bag (or is it 40lbs, can't recall) and the recommended amount is no where near enough. I always just about quadruple the recommended amount. To do a large area would cost a fortune over straw.<p>As for the fertilizer in it, about useless. Its like a 1-0-0. Much better off using a starter fert instead.<p>So, I would say overall, it works excellent for smaller, spot areas and special areas, but overall, just to expensive and not really any better than straw.<p>P.S. - To let you know, I'm a Penn state grad, and usually all for STATE. However, I have to swallow my pride sometimes for this product.

GroundKprs
04-03-2000, 10:05 PM
In my experience, PennMulch is not stable in a downpour. Tried it last fall after lowering lawn edges along curb and drive. Used PennMulch along drive, so it would look nicer, and straw along curb and a little of drive. Had just checked lawn one day, just seeing germination, and a thunderstorm hit as I left. Went back next day and all PennMulch had washed away, 1/2&quot; of root now visible on what had germinated. Some sprigs of straw had washed around, but straw area was fine. Had to reseed the Pennmulch areas.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

pete
04-04-2000, 12:19 AM
I have been using penn mulch for a while and would have to second what steveair had to say. I use it because it looks much better than straw when you have an existing lawn. I usually put down burlap on steep slopes to keep it from washing, but im going to try using the curlex. I have been able to get it for 12.50 a bag.

SLSNursery
04-09-2000, 10:06 AM
We've used and sold a bunch of PennMulch before it was sold to Lebanon. Now the price is kind of high. We use non-fertilizer 'Turf Starter Pellets' instead. I have had luck with both products, and have a couple of Bigfoot HVO spreader to apply the product to wide areas. It is an easier sell on small areas though, but don't over apply or it will become matted. Because its kind of costly on larger areas, we'll be using a Hydroseeder (Finn T-90) this year for big jobs, or slopes.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

wish2domore
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
It's been my experience that penn mulch works so much better than straw. Yes, it may be more costly, but straw doesn't have the slow release fertilizer included and you don't have to rake the mulch away and hope you don't tear out the grass.

Since moving from Michigan 4 years ago, I haven't been able to locate any to purchase. If anyone knows where I can get it from, I'd really appreciated the help. I'm located close to Greeley, Co. Very new to this area also.

Thank you in advance.
Amanda

wurkn with amish
07-21-2006, 06:39 PM
penn mulch is nice and neat and fert like someone mentioned tho.
Amanda
why do you rake out the straw? let it go it just breaks down and gets chopped up by the mower. Maybe your putting it on way too thick?

ColePyck
07-30-2006, 01:36 PM
expensive! I pay 15 dollars a bag, and one 50lbs bag covers 700sqft. As said before it works great for patching or small areas but to do a whole .25 acre yard is expensive and I think straw protects better. I also needed to buy a special spreader attachment for my spyker to spread the stuff. It will not spread well through a lesco unless you use a penn mulch attachment basket.

ColePyck
07-30-2006, 01:40 PM
also the amount of starter fertilizer in penn mulch is insignificant we ALWAYS apply a starter fert before we put down the mulch. Another benefit is you dont have as many weed seeds that could be in straw when using penn mulch.

wish2domore
08-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I always just spread it with my hand. It was easy for my to get it uniformly spread and there isn't any extra cost but i preferred to spread the grass seed with my hand also. I guess i'm just really a hands on person.

Thank you for all your comments---where can i get some in northern colorado, though??