PDA

View Full Version : A few new business questions?

Kurto_15
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I am going to start a small landscaping business this spring and still work at my current landscaping job until it is big enough to support me full time (hopefully), but my question is should I use my current cell phone for business and personal or just get a boost mobile or something for business and pay $10 a month or so. I don't really want to have my message on my phone be just about business. Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks

SchnabelLawnCare
12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
You want a separate cell and business phone. If you prefer to answer your cell only, you can forward all of the call from your business number to the cell.

scagrider22
12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I would do just about any option except for boost! Personally I would add a second phone to the service you already have it shouldnt be much more.

NEWGUYRI
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
I am going to start a small landscaping business this spring and still work at my current landscaping job until it is big enough to support me full time (hopefully), but my question is should I use my current cell phone for business and personal or just get a boost mobile or something for business and pay $10 a month or so. I don't really want to have my message on my phone be just about business. Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks

1) be sure you didn't sign a non-compete clause/agreement

2) I would use your current cell phone, and list your home as well.

Kurto_15
12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Well I think I'm just going to get a pay as you go phone for now. I said Boost because right now I have nextel because thats what works best in our area. Are they any companies that anyone thinks is good everywhere?

scagrider22
12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Well I think I'm just going to get a pay as you go phone for now. I said Boost because right now I have nextel because thats what works best in our area. Are they any companies that anyone thinks is good everywhere?

Im not trying to critisize you but I think that is a bad idea you are better off using your personal phone. There is alot of reasons not to use a pay as you go phone for business. Good luck to ya.

Kurto_15
12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Im not trying to critisize you but I think that is a bad idea you are better off using your personal phone. There is alot of reasons not to use a pay as you go phone for business. Good luck to ya.

I am just thinking that I don't want to have my personal phone ringing while working for the other company, you know. I looked into adding a line to my current plan and to do that I would have to go to a family plan which is double my bill right now. What are some problem with prepay phones. I just thought that it would be a good idea for now then transfer the number to a real company at a later date. Any input is welcome, just trying to do what would be best.
Thanks

MAD87
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I would also say stick with one phone. When you are working, you can turn the ringer off (Or put it on vibrate). After all, that's what voicemail is for!:)

scagrider22
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
You could also get a landline and have all the calls forwarded to your cell during the day and to an answering machine at night.

Lawn Man Dave
12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Don't be suprised if your boss fire's you when he finds out or fires you down the road when he see's you are compition.......

Most companies will see it as a conflict of intrest.

Out of respect for your boss this is a bad move if you ask me.

SchnabelLawnCare
12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Don't be suprised if your boss fire's you when he finds out or fires you down the road when he see's you are compition.......

Most companies will see it as a conflict of intrest.

Out of respect for your boss this is a bad move if you ask me.

Maybe you should sign something with your boss that says you will not approach any clients of his for x amount of years.

I think you should be upfront with your boss that you are starting part-time solo.

Kurto_15
12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I already have. I agreed not to steal any of his clients and when making a bid, I ask what other companies they are receiving bids from.

Lawn Man Dave
12-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I already have. I agreed not to steal any of his clients and when making a bid, I ask what other companies they are receiving bids from.

Your boss does not sound very smart if you ask me............ or at least making some bad decision's.

I also doubt the other places will tell you who they are taking bid's from... people don't have time for that....

RLS24
01-01-2010, 11:48 PM
a friend of mine worked for one of the big-wig Lcos in town and on his days off he'd work for me and it was never a problem. almost every1 that worked there did side jobs to some effect, but the owner was completely fine with it because that company fetched a premium as far as pricing goes, and 99% of the side jobs that were going on he would have never had a chance with in the first place so it didnt really matter.

As far as the phone goes, look into getting a separate line at your house and get an answering machine for it. I always hated taking calls in the field (with a cell phone). I take calls off my machine at the end of the day, and that way if some1 calls for an estimate, I can have my calender out and everything I need to schedule and estimate when I call back to make it go smooth. Same with a customer that may call with a billing question, I can have their file open and be better able to answer their questions. Just seems more professional to me. And also you're avoiding conflict with your other job that way, because technically what you do on your own time is none of their business.