PDA

View Full Version : Winches and winch bumpers

Gravel Rat
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Thing about putting a front mounted winch on the F-450 I need more traction.

Looked for parts converting my F-450 to a 4x4 that it is a little expensive a front axle is 1500 dollars a transfer case is 1200 dollars then I would need the driveshaft and other related parts. I would be into it for 3 grand.

Had to pick up some garbage from the neighbours and yes I had traction troubles and tore the crap out of the road (dirt/grass). A locker isn't enough traction even with 4 tires on the back spinning I ended up trenching the road. I have been thinking of snow chains but I don't think they would do any good the tires are already digging deep and not pushing the truck forward.

I have looked at Ranch Hand and a few others they are very pricey buy the time you ship one to Canada I would be looking at 1800 dollars. Then a 16,500lb warn winch is 1500 dollars.

I was thinking about a milemarker hydraulic winch they are lighter than a battery winch they don't drain your batteries either. My truck is always running I'am not recovering a non running vehical.

A 12,000lb capacity milemarker is 98 pounds the same capacity Warn is 40lbs heavier.

I would think a 12,000lb winch would be strong enough I'am not sunk in mud where your fighting the suction. All I need is a extra pull to keep the momentum going the truck is still rolling.

Has anybody had any sucess with just the grill guard winch mount it would be the lighest winch mounting option. A full ranch hand is 262 pounds then add 138 pounds for a 16,000lb warn your adding a extra 400lbs to a already heavy front end.

A grill guard winch mount is 160 pounds plus the winch would be 298 so 100lbs lighter.

My F-450 has lots of life left in it the truck is rust free and runs good it is the best truck I have owned. It has 105,000kms (65,000 miles).

One of the neighbours half a mile down the road has a 04 F-550 4x4 this summer he needed work done on the front axle of his truck. New ball joints,new u joints in the steering knuckle and new brakes cost him 3 grand.

His truck goes through front brakes because the 4x4 trucks use a F-350 brake rotor and smaller brake pads. My 2wd uses bigger brake rotors and the same brake pads used on the rear. A 4x4 brake rotor is 13 inches in diam a 2wd brake rotor is 14.5 inches big difference in surface area for the brake pads.

You need to run a slotted and drilled brake rotor on a F-450-550 4x4 or you have serious brake fade troubles.

In 2005 when Ford changed the front axle they made the brakes bigger on the 4x4 trucks. The Dana 60 is heavier the hubs are bigger.

YellowDogSVC
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
His truck goes through front brakes because the 4x4 trucks use a F-350 brake rotor and smaller brake pads. My 2wd uses bigger brake rotors and the same brake pads used on the rear. A 4x4 brake rotor is 13 inches in diam a 2wd brake rotor is 14.5 inches big difference in surface area for the brake pads.

You need to run a slotted and drilled brake rotor on a F-450-550 4x4 or you have serious brake fade troubles.

In 2005 when Ford changed the front axle they made the brakes bigger on the 4x4 trucks. The Dana 60 is heavier the hubs are bigger.

I have ranch hand front replacement on my 05 f350 4x4. I have the hide a winch 9500 lb patriot. Same size as the 12k patriot. You can also go with a 15k lb patriot. I think they are ramsey winches. I have the 15' remote lead that attaches to slot in front bumper. Very handy and I have used it a lot from moving logs, to getting the bobcat out of the mud, to helping motorists stuck in the sand, to pulling my truck and trailer up a steep hill.

If I did it over, I would have gone with the bull bar hide a winch. Less weight on front end and you can keep your fog lights in same position.

Both the bull bar and the ranch hand front replacement bumpers have the option of the front receiver tube. I have that too, but you can get one with a removeable winch so that you can move the winch to the front or back. The winch mounting plate that slides into the receiver tube was only $150 or so and it held up to a 15k winch (about 5hp).

Another option is the front receiver mount that fits under your factory bumper and mounts to the frame. It has a receiver tube and can accept up to the power of a 8 or 9k winch. It is a new concept, I think, and is virtually invisible unless you plug the winch in.

I use 4x4 every day. My '05 components are very similar to the '05 and '04 f450 components but I have coil springs on the front. No issues and no issues with brakes. I have 60k miles and my original brakes are still about 40%. I drive in the hills every day and almost always tow something at least 12k lbs.

Gravel Rat
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Ford beefed up the brakes in 05 they are considerably bigger. It was something to do with the steering knuckle. Also the new suspension allowed some changes.

A familly friend had a 2004 F-350 dually 4x4 Supercab pickup then he got his 08 exact same truck. Said the truck turns alot sharper and it has better brakes.

If I went with a 4x4 truck it would be a 05 or newer I was looking at some 07 F-450-550 4x4 trucks online in Alberta both V-10s . In Alberta 4x4 trucks are plentyfull because of the oil fields. The truck values have dropped substancially. That means my truck isn't worth what I have paid for it I only have 2000 dollars left to pay on my truck.

I don't think I would buy another diesel not worth it. Parts cost more a oil change is 138 dollars for synthetic oil and a filter.

My current 6.0 gets 12 mpg I have been told the V-10s get about 10-11 mpg.

Diesel fuel is 3.45 a gallon US and regular gas is about the same price.

In one week I travel 174 miles it would cost me 60 dollars in gas and 50 dollars in diesel. In one year a V-10 would cost me 2900 in fuel a diesel 2400 dollars. The 500 dollars saved in fuel using a diesel goes bye bye when it comes to oil changes or if you need to replace a injector or turbo.

I know of many V-10s that have gone alot of miles reliably.

Junior M
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
GR, you dont have to get the biggest winch possible.. If you rig it right with a block or 2 you can double your capacity.

A bunch of us at the FD took the pumper and tanker and some pizzas to the local mentally challenged school. Well on our way out, we got hung up, the left rear on the tanker sunk right up the axle.

Luckily the senior FF had his pick up with a 9k Warn winch on the front and all we did was hook a chain through the tow hook on the tanker, then hooked the winch cable through a block and back to the truck. and we pulled that tanker with 700gallons of water on it(ran drained 700 off already) right out, all the truck did was set there, the winch did everything..

tnmtn
12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.hitchesonline.com/ford_front_end.htm

here is a ink to a front receiver hitch. could be both a cheaper and lighter way to go. i agree with junior in that you may get by with a smaller winch. it wouldn't be towing dead weight with the truck in gear helping. i've pulled more than one stuck truck out with a 2 ton come along.

bobcat_ron
12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Reciever hitch winches are the only way to go, even putting a hitch reciever on a mini excavator or skid steer would be handy to use if you are really stuck.

YellowDogSVC
12-29-2009, 09:56 PM
A familly friend had a 2004 F-350 dually 4x4 Supercab pickup then he got his 08 exact same truck. Said the truck turns alot sharper and it has better brakes..

my '05 is is nothing even close to my '08. Two totally different animals. Frame, steering, leaf springs, brakes, etc. All different.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 12:33 AM
The 4x4 trucks from 05 onward have the same coil spring front suspension with the radius arm. The last year the leaf springs were used on all 4 corners was 2004.

The portable reciever winch is only good for a 9500lb winch that isn't quite enough.

I found a supplier for Warn Winches the portable reciever mount is 2400 dollars Canadian the 12,000lb winch is 2500 dollars.

www.interioroffroad.net/Catalog/PAGE13.pdf

After looking at that I don't have that kind of money right now talk about expensive they are cheaper than that in the USA.

nedly05
12-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I have a 12000 lb milemarker for my tracor, I am very happy with it and I have been very impressed with it.

YellowDogSVC
12-30-2009, 05:55 PM
The 4x4 trucks from 05 onward have the same coil spring front suspension with the radius arm. The last year the leaf springs were used on all 4 corners was 2004.

The portable reciever winch is only good for a 9500lb winch that isn't quite enough.

I found a supplier for Warn Winches the portable reciever mount is 2400 dollars Canadian the 12,000lb winch is 2500 dollars.

www.interioroffroad.net/Catalog/PAGE13.pdf

After looking at that I don't have that kind of money right now talk about expensive they are cheaper than that in the USA.

You can get a full replacement bull bar that holds a 15k winch for under $1000. The winch is about $1200. You are getting ripped off if it would take a $5k investment to put a winch on your truck. If you have an $800 bull bar with receiver tube, $200 winch mount with 2" shank, and a $1200, 12-15k winch, you are only $2200 in the US. How can it be double in Canada? Something isn't right with your numbers GR.