PDA

View Full Version : Production rates on a track loader

fool32696
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm working on a bid for sodding 100k-175k sq ft. Topsoil will be stockpiled on site and will need to be spread at 3 to 4 inches. I'm by no means an operator compared to most guys in this section, but I can and have run backhoes, excavators, and skids. How many 8hr days am I looking at with a large frame CAT machine. Without much experience on this scale, I was thinking about a 5 day workweek would cover it. Opinions, suggestions?

AWJ Services
12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
On 175k sq ft thats about 2000 yards of material.

The key to this job being productive is to have the dirt dumped in multiple spots rather than stockpiled and moved.

Do you know what size bucket you will be using?

Scag48
12-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd use a dozer, D5 at least. If you were to stockpile and shuttle material throughout 3.5-4 acres, you'll get buried, especially with a skidsteer. I'd score a dozer and get it dropped throughout the site. You'll really have to be on your game, though, because you'll get the overwhelming joy of running your trucks out into the fill dropping the material right where you need it. The only advantage of stockpiling is that the trucking is simple; pile and stack until you have the material on site, then the rest is up to you. However, handling material twice isn't cost effective. Hopefully ground conditions will allow you to run the trucks right where you need the material.

BrandonV
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
best bet is to fly ron down and have him do it? I'm guessing 3hrs ronnie? Seriously though it'll depend on how far you're having to carry it. If you're renting get the biggest bucket possible and also see if they'll rent you a box rake. This way you can smooth it all out nice.

bobcat_ron
12-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Large front end loader, Bobcat dumping hopper or even just pushing it with a dozer is what we use.
I have no idea how much that really is, give me that square footage number in acres and I can tell you how long it took me to spread 4" of gravel out with my Cat.

BrandonV
12-30-2009, 07:12 PM
~4 ACRES american

Scag48
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot about the time estimate. If you can get enough trucks, a D5 can knock down 400-500 tons of material per hour pretty easy if you don't have to get off the machine. You could truck it all in a day very easily, knock it all down, then spend a day or two finish grading. Now that I think of it, you could probably blast the piles with a larger MTL/CTL or skid it'll just take you longer. It's also nice to be able to keep up with the trucks, then you have a real good idea of where you're at with material, where you need to be dumping next, etc.. I was running a fill 2 weeks ago handling 350 tons per hour with a D5M, backing up every truck and trailer, and I had 10-15 minutes to roll every lift between trucks rounds. My weapon of choice would be a dozer, but that's just me.

bobcat_ron
12-30-2009, 07:20 PM
If it were me, I would have trucks dump every 60 feet on a grid pattern and have them work their way out, and hit it with a dozer and a skid steer with a harley rake behind it.

If you have to carry it due to poor under foot conditions, something with a 6 yard bucket, like a loader or tracked loader, taking different paths and dump it and rough level, using a skid steer to final grade.

It would take me 12 hours with a dozer and 6 trucks with a return time of 3 minutes between trucks and maybe 3 days if I had to carry it.

I've done 2 acres with a D4 as soil was dug out from a manure lagoon and that was 12-24" thick with 2 ADT's with 12 minute turn arounds.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
To spread that much soil I'am with Scag a bulldozer is the way to go. A skid steer would take forever.

If the ground was good enough to run trucks on and you had good drivers they could rough spread it when they dumped it.

MOREDIRT
12-31-2009, 12:38 AM
If you have to get on the internet and ask how to bid a job please let someone else do the job.

Junior M
12-31-2009, 12:50 AM
If you have to get on the internet and ask how to bid a job please let someone else do the job.
Not everyone is born knowing how to do this.. :hammerhead:

Gravel Rat
12-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Well if you don't try you don't learn. Spreading topsoil isn't a critical job that if you make a mistake you can cost the homeowner/customer big money.

AWJ Services
12-31-2009, 01:48 AM

If that wa sthe case then I would have never did my first job.

fool32696
12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys for all of the information. This part of the project is really like a worst case scenario if the site work guys leave a mess. I forsee just being able to lightly grade the area before sod and who knows how much topsoil they will actually stockpile on site. It doesn't have to be perfect as it's mainly for erosion control on a state project. To the naysayer, grading dirt and laying sod isn't rocket science. The hard part is running the numbers on something this big so that I don't lose money and running numbers includes knowing production rates. Thanks again.

AWJ Services
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys for all of the information. This part of the project is really like a worst case scenario if the site work guys leave a mess. I forsee just being able to lightly grade the area before sod and who knows how much topsoil they will actually stockpile on site. It doesn't have to be perfect as it's mainly for erosion control on a state project. To the naysayer, grading dirt and laying sod isn't rocket science. The hard part is running the numbers on something this big so that I don't lose money and running numbers includes knowing production rates. Thanks again.

No one can predict accurate production numbers without a site plan and soil stockpile locations. The reason why I say that is say the area was 50 ft wide by 3500 long and all the soil was on one end.
If the dirt was staged correctly and you used all 2000 yards that would be about 130 tandem axle loads and to spread and back drag I would figure about 30 minutes per 15 yards of soil. That would be 65 hours total of machine time. If the material has to be moved any distance you could see where it could be time consuming if you where going to top it with 3 to 4 inches of top soil. 5 days is only 40 hours so you better re think your bid. I estimated these numbers of a machine that runs a 3/4 yard bucket. That would be larger machine.
Now you see why everyone was suggesting a dozer. A dozer and a support wheel loader will really cut down your time.
So these are worst case scenario numbers .
Best case scenario would be to smooth and back drag the area and lay the sod. I would figure 7-10 minutes per 1000 sq/ft of soil or about 3 days( 24 to 29 hours) to prep with a larger frame skid steer assuming a loose dry soil.
I have been told to expect only 80% production of these numbers.

The sod part is straight forward.The only question I have is will you be using a sod laying machine and the large rolls?

fool32696
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I had to get the bid in on short notice and out of 6 or 7 sod suppliers in the area I only got a hold of one. He said none of the sod farms in the area sell rolls, whether that is true or not I don't know but I bid it based on having to hand lay it. If I can find rolls in the area I'll really make some good money and knock it out fast.

AWJ Services
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I had to get the bid in on short notice and out of 6 or 7 sod suppliers in the area I only got a hold of one. He said none of the sod farms in the area sell rolls, whether that is true or not I don't know but I bid it based on having to hand lay it. If I can find rolls in the area I'll really make some good money and knock it out fast.

Call the Forida dept of Agriculture and ask for a list of there registered sod farms. That makes it easy to find. They may have it only line as well.
If you are close to Ga I can refer you a couple farms.

Gravel Rat
01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
That is alot of sod your going to need.

What about having it hydro seeded it might be cheaper ?

fool32696
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I could probably get it hydroseeded for 1/6 the price. The guy wanted me to bid on sod, so I bid on sod. I'm located right outside of Gainesville and I have suppliers that have the rolls near me. The project is 4 hours away in south Florida, so I used a quick Google search to find some suppliers local to the site.

Gravel Rat
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Is this a playing field of some sort ?

That much sod you would be looking at minimum 10 grand here just for the sod. It only comes in the small rolls that you can lift by hand.

fool32696
01-02-2010, 02:40 AM
It's a government culvert replacement project and all disturbed areas will be resodded. You're right on the money 10k for 100,000 sq ft. in sod.