PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to take advantage of the better deals

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Well as you seen in the last couple posts I have been having troubles with 2wd with a locker in the diff its not doing it. The locker helps but its not enough to cope with the front end of these diesel trucks and the "Superduty Cab" is so heavy the back wheels even with 6000lbs over them don't have enough traction. Looked today and I tore half of a lug off one of my new tires and the rest have heavy chunking from spinning.

I should have bought a 4 wheeldrive but when I bought my 2003 back in 2006 the 4 wheeldrive trucks were very expensive more than I could afford so I settled with a 2wd with a locker. It works for most instances but with jobsite now I guess I can't chance it anymore I need 4wheeldrive. Where a excavator can go is where a building site can go.

Now here is where the deals comes into play the truck market has taken a tank especially in Alberta the market is flooded with used trucks. I have been browsing the used truck ads and I can get a used 2005-2007 F-550 4x4 almost cheaper than I paid for my 2wd F-450.

I think the time to buy is now while the deals are good and the economy is still slow people are not spending any money yet.

I only owe 2000 dollars on my F450 so I could get another loan buy a F550 4x4 and put my dump deck onto it. Looking at V-10 powered trucks I'am not going with a 6.0 not worth it the V-10 trucks past 2005 are supposed to be excellant with the 3 valve engine. I would want a truck that has a flatdeck on it so I could transfer that too my F-450 and sell it. My F-450 would sell in Vancouver somebody that does P+D on city streets doesn't need 4wheeldrive.

I'am hoping the economy turns around in 2010 because its been 2.5 years of next to nothing. I want to get back into more of my own work before I do myself in suffering through my current job.

With things still dead and slow I maybe able to get what I want for a good deal. My job I have now can make the payments till the work picks up in the spring.

I need to do something for one I'am getting fat sitting behind a desk and two I like working outdoors. Get back into landscaping part time would be good enough for me.

Heavyduty1
12-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Who knows about the future but I don't think things are going to turn around anytime soon.

If you can swing the payments, go for it.:weightlifter:

Gravel Rat
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I'am hoping things turn around the Canadian economy is "Supposidly" getting better.

It sure can't get any worse than it is. Sure hope the h*ll something happens in 2010 people thought 2009 was going to look better not much change.

The aftermath of the olympics in February 2010 is the turning point either things get better or the d*mn gov't spent over a billion dollars in tax money for nothing.

Now back to the truck.

I have some problems with my current 03 F-450 the first problem is 2wd and the lack of traction. The second problem that worries me all the time is powering out. The way the 6.0 is programed there is no :realmad: power at idle. I have a 6spd and if I have a heavy load on the truck and trying to start rolling the truck powers out.

I have gotten into some tight spots and had some troubles with no power. The 6.0 has tons of power when your rolling but get the load rolling or moving with a heavy load from a stop you have problems.

I have a 6spd manual works okay I guess I should have a automatic it might be different over a standard behind a 6.0. You really have to slip the clutch with a 6.0 to get the revs up I don't like doing that.

The truck I have now is good and I know I have said that 4 wheeldrive isn't needed but I guess I need it with the "Superduty" trucks.

My current F-450 is 1000lbs heavier than my previous OBS FSuperduty diesels. I think the cabs are considerably heavier and the 6.0 is heavier than the 7.3. My old OBS F-450s you put a load on them and the truck would go anywhere. Put a load on my current F-450 not the case :cry:

My traction problems are climbing dirt roads if I'am on flat ground in the mud not a problem. I was in the landfill yesterday in the garbage muck didn't spin a wheel.

With the truck market slow the deals are out there I have to look in Alberta if I want a 4x4. That means buying a truck by pictures and having it shipped some how.

RockSet N' Grade
12-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Is it time to take advantage of better deals? My answer is simply be cautious, do the math, and YES! I have recently carved out another little niche in snow removal (which I have been avoiding for years). I have found out I enjoy it and it is quite profitable. I just bought a 7' blower for my skid with a truck loading chute and a snow bucket for the skid.......thats about $9k right there, so I still remain cautiously optimistic. There are opportunities still out there and you need the tools to do the job......Drive an aggressive bargain.

YellowDogSVC
12-30-2009, 11:48 PM
GR,
You are starting to sound positive... good. I wouldn't discount the 6.0. While I don't believe in extended warranties on most things, Ford is offering 6.0 owners a reasonable, extended warranty for 4 years on expired 6.0 warranties. That means, you could pick up an '05, '06, or '07 with 6.0 and get a warranty for about 2k that covers all the big stuff. I may get my ext. warranty in the next week since my '05 just expired this month. I was quoted $1,900 +/- for motor, tranny, 4x4, A/C for 48k more miles or 4 years. $100 deductible.

Gravel Rat
12-31-2009, 12:26 AM
The 6.0 is still in mind if I find a 06-07 model even a 05 model would do.

It is time for a 4x4 not too impressed I thought the locker would do better than it has so far.

I don't think my old man is going to give me crap about buying a different truck after he had to pull me out because I got stuck. He was never a 4x4 beleiever till he bought one 10 years ago. Even my mom that shakes her head says why do you have a truck that can't go anywhere.

What pizzed me off 2 weeks ago when I was trying to get the firewood out of the place I was cutting it. With 5000lbs or so on the truck I still got stuck now that is frustrating WTF the tires just spun they sunk 3-4 inches and spun with that kind of weight the truck should have walked up the road. Then the other day I got stuck getting some garbage out of the neighbours that is when I really chunked up the tires spinning on sharp rocks.

Yes I'am hoping 2010 improves I'am getting tired of the lack of work the whole community is suffering from being broke. Something has to improve or people my age in the area will have to claim personal bankruptsy.

With things being slow there are some deals out there right now and I think the dealers are willing to deal to make a sale.

stuvecorp
12-31-2009, 12:27 AM
GR, heres a different idea - what about getting yourself a winch like you were talking about, paying off your truck and getting something like a mini x? That would expand your service offerings and help with the work you are getting now?

Junior M
12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
GR, heres a different idea - what about getting yourself a winch like you were talking about, paying off your truck and getting something like a mini x? That would expand your service offerings and help with the work you are getting now?
mini ex's with rubberbands dont last one straight up and down rock cliffs.. :laugh:

But GR, like yellow said, I am glad to see your being positive. Just remember, the world is how you percieve it..

Gravel Rat
12-31-2009, 12:43 AM
I'am still primarely in the trucking business delivering lumber or sand and gravel. The mini market is flooded with people doing it. I think I will stick with general contracting for now I'am only doing it part time.

There is little jobs of clearing brush or doing tree removal. I will do light demolition. I'am always in the disposal business.

Omran&Turbo
12-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Here in our neck of woods, things still slower than ever, and infact if not for all the odd diffrent jobs I do( from selling wood to fixing barns and salt some gas station and fixing tools) I will not be able to pay the utility bills from my Bobcat, all this year I was down from 80 houses to grade in 07 to 35 in 08 to about 14 this year. thanks the lord I don't have to make any payments on my bobcat, because it is sitting in my garage next to my stove more than working, like this month all what I did is 1 backfill and I drilled some holes for a pole barn ;) so now I am very careful of doing any new buys.
But each one has a diffrent situation!!!! if you know that your Job is secure, then go for it, deal are real good right now.
Best of luck and happy 2010 bro.

Omran.
BTW Turbo is my Cat

Gravel Rat
12-31-2009, 12:55 AM
I have a full time job this side line work pays for expenses and my bills. There is no way I could go on my own full time the work isn't out there for that.

My truck as a daily driver so it is getting me to my full time job so I can afford to make truck payments. If I get some work with the truck it pays for the truck payment and wages for me. When or if the work picks up the truck does pay for itself.

I only drive a hour round trip for work and on my days off I don't use the truck for pleasure driving. On my days off I try to find work to do when the weather is good.

nedly05
12-31-2009, 06:13 AM
My friend just bought a used F250 with the V10, he gets 7-9 around town and 12 or so on the highway. I wouldnt think with a motor that size that the milage would change much with a 450 or 550. I would look hard at the gas motors, with diesel costing as much as gas the extra cost is hard to justify, the best benefit is the power. If you can find a nice truck for a decent price why not trade out of the 450 to get a 4X4? I would rather have a truck without a motor than not have 4x4!!!

RockSet N' Grade
12-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Just as an aside (kinda goes with this thread).......there are attachment dealers that are offering up to 40% off with free shipping. One such example is www.quick-attach.com. My salesman there is named Scott. I have been very satisfied with their quality. These guys underpromise and overperform.

wanabe
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like need some real tires on your truck GR.

YellowDogSVC
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Just as an aside (kinda goes with this thread).......there are attachment dealers that are offering up to 40% off with free shipping. One such example is www.quick-attach.com. My salesman there is named Scott. I have been very satisfied with their quality. These guys underpromise and overperform.

these tracks look cool but I wonder how they shed rocks out of them if they are solid? http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments_catalog/?view=quick_trax&p=2 --sorry to continue the hijack! ;)

tnmtn
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
i kind of lean toward what stuvecorp said. have you thought about maybe a dingo or similar and bringing the pile or logs to the truck instead of truck to the material. maybe then you could park the truck in a better place to get out.

Gravel Rat
01-01-2010, 01:24 AM
My mind is going over different ideas. The truck I have now runs good yes I have a good running 6.0 PSD and its a 03 to boot.

Most of todays jobsites are in tougher places. Untill the roads are paved or have concrete on them you can have troubles with a 2wd truck.

The electricians and pumbers have 2wd trucks mainly E series Cube vans their trucks are so heavy they rarely have traction troubles. For what I do either I'am going into a jobsite with a load and have troubles getting back out or going in to a jobsite and have troubles with a empty truck to get a load of debris.

You look at some of these places and it is are you kidding me :dizzy:

What has opened up these building lots is the new septic systems. Lots that were once un-usuable because of the lack of a septic system now are usable because a septic system can be put anywhere now.

One of the new developments the developer had to use a ADT to build the driveways because regular dump trucks had too much trouble.

So I don't know what to do.

I'am hoping to try get some work again delivering landscape supplies like topsoil etc.

Been looking at 450 and 550 4x4s forsale in the provinces east of the rockies so Alberta and Saskatchewan. Lots of trucks out there but its getting them back to B.C. . Buy a truck sight unseen and have it shipped. The shipping would be 1500 dollars then once I get it out here I would need to have it inspected.

All I can do is wait and see what turns up I don't have any worries about getting another loan.

Caterkillar
01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I would be trying to get out of mom's basement before I started worrying about replacing a perfectly good truck that is almost paid for.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I would be trying to get out of mom's basement before I started worrying about replacing a perfectly good truck that is almost paid for.
Shut up, dont ruin his streak!

for the first time in like 2 years I've seen GR make a post where he WANTS to do something about making his situation better, dont ruin it!

AEL
01-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Buy a one way plane ticket and go to a repo yard in alberta. Tons of nice new trucks that the guys on the rigs and such cant afford no more. Then just drive her home.

Best of luck GR.

alco
01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Gravel Rat, you seem to be eager to actually make a change and improve your situation.
GOOD FOR YOU!
Don't give up, keep working on this idea and see it through.