PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 7x14 Enclosed trailer

jeffslawnservice
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
I have the oportunity to buy a 2008 7x14 enclosed trailer. It has one only had one owner and comes with trimmer racks and also hold rakes, shovels, ect. He is asking $4,000, I think that might be a little high but he swears that the trailer is is mint condition. I go to look at it Saturday. Do you think the trailer is worth as much as he is selling it for? Also would an F-150 be ok with pulling the trailer only for a few months till I upgrade to something bigger. Thanks.

motorscot
01-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Sounds like an ok price. You can get new/used trailers from 3-5K. Your truck will do ok as long as you get the electric brake controller setup for it. the trailer should already be equipped with electric brakes on at least one axle at minimum. I think 1/2 trucks will tow up to 7k lbs or so. It may not like it, but it will do it. Braking ability is more important than anything else.

jeffslawnservice
01-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Sounds like an ok price. You can get new/used trailers from 3-5K. Your truck will do ok as long as you get the electric brake controller setup for it. the trailer should already be equipped with electric brakes on at least one axle at minimum. I think 1/2 trucks will tow up to 7k lbs or so. It may not like it, but it will do it. Braking ability is more important than anything else.

Thans for the reply. I thought the price seemed a little high but I'm not a trailer expert so I didnt know. I think as long as I don't go to fast down roads and need to brake sudenly then i should be ok. Thanks again.

Kustom Kutz
01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I have the oportunity to buy a 2008 7x14 enclosed trailer. It has one only had one owner and comes with trimmer racks and also hold rakes, shovels, ect. He is asking $4,000, I think that might be a little high but he swears that the trailer is is mint condition. I go to look at it Saturday. Do you think the trailer is worth as much as he is selling it for? Also would an F-150 be ok with pulling the trailer only for a few months till I upgrade to something bigger. Thanks.

I run a 18' enclosed cargoMate 10th anniversary that is the best trailer I have owned in 17 years. I have it all layed out exactly the way I want it and I might be pushing $4k counting my decals, cabinet, lighting and racks. It's a 07' model that I bought used for $3k. Look on Craigslist and be patient until you find the right trailer. I wouldn't worry if your truck will pull it as much as if it will stop the trailer. I use a 1500HD and I'm ready to get a diesel.

FLAhaulboy
01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
4k sounds high but you could counter with a lower offer. It might be worth 4k to him but I think that price is unrealistic "today". Craigslist is an excellent source. Also, EBay should be checked, you can type in your zip code at Ebay & locate trailers within x number of miles of your residency. I watched a 20' trailer on Craig's start at $2200 & a (price kept dropping weekly) month later drop down to a desperate one day only sale of $1200. I bought it. I didn't think it was worth 2200 & waited him out. If you can wait longer, then do so because there is always a better deal out there. The "mint" condition does not mean it is worth 4k either.

Kustom Kutz
01-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Plus no matter how you look at it the trailer will never be anything but a tool. Mint condition is for hauling Harley's not mowers. Just by you having a enclosed trailer you are a step ahead. I have open trailers but I only use them if I NEED them!

Mowingman
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, that might not be a bad price. It is 7' wide, and those bring a better price than 6' wide trailers.
Is it all steel, or aluminum? Around here, a like new/lightly used, 6x14, all steel trailer, will bring about $4000.00. Aluminum, which I do not like, can be purchased a little cheaper.
The one you are looking at sounds pretty nice, and it does include the racks.
I think the price is fair, but you might try to get it a little cheaper. Everyone likes to deal a little.

jeffslawnservice
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Not sure if it is steel or aluminum. I go to look at it tomorrow. I don't think I am going to get it because he seems firm on the $ 4000 and I don't want to pay that much. I have been watching craigslist and so far no luck but I'll keep watching. Still have a few more month till the season begins. Thanks again for the input.

Kustom Kutz
01-01-2010, 10:41 PM
If you are worried about your truck pulling the trailer get aluminum which is what I have and I love it. It only has 35oo# axles but the only you will be hauling is lawn equipment. 7000# is alot of mowers even if you count trailer weight.

DoetschOutdoor
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Kustom Kutz, you haul only one mower in an 18' trailer?

Kustom Kutz
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Kustom Kutz, you haul only one mower in an 18' trailer?<Maintanence is what I started out doing 17 years ago, but I got to the pont I was making ALOT more money doing high end landscaping and treewok. I have just recntly gotten back into the mainanence part of it bc I turn down so much potential work. I just bought that mower to feel it out a little bit and see how my guys do and I'll get a big rider. The 18' enclosed trailer is my trailer of choice bc I have every tool you can think of at my fingertips. I also load it with plants and flowers so they don't get wind burned. It doesn't take long to use up all 18'.