PDA

View Full Version : Clover in vinca - any suggestions?

boozoo
05-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Some say to spray with Round-Up over the top and it won't hurt the vinca, others say use something with chlopyralid. Still others say that they're both crazy, and that there is no solution other than hand-weeding. I figure, though, some of you veterans of chemical warfare have a few tricks up your sleeve. What say ye?

CSRA Landscaping
05-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Why not get a little spray bottle, like you would use for windex, and mix up some momentum (clopyralid) in it and spray your clover, but I wouldn't get it on the vinca, just to be safe.

dan deutekom
05-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Use a wick type applicator and wipe the clover without touching the Vinca. Make sure the clover is taller than the Vinca.

boozoo
05-24-2002, 12:02 AM
And wipe it with what? And what is a good brand wick applicator? We had something called a "Weed-EZ", but it started leaking early on - not a good quality in a wick applicator!

excel25
05-24-2002, 06:43 AM
Put a Cotton glove over a rubber glove and wick a way!

Bill M.
05-24-2002, 07:45 AM
Fusillade II is labelled for over-the-top control of grass in Vinca major and Vinca minor

http://www.barc.usda.gov/fmod/trap/msds_lab/fusi2l.pdf

PS... just realized he said clover, not grass. nevermind this wont work ...duh!:rolleyes:

tremor
05-24-2002, 09:13 AM
I've had this same question twice this week. Must be a heck of a good year for Clover out there. (actually last fall was)

With the research data almost done trickling in, I have one conclusion. Lontrel (chlopyralid) is not labeled for directed or over the top sprays in Vinca. But my gut tells me it would be the best option for anyone who isn't concerned about getting arrested or sued.

THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION!

IF it was labeled, a small mister or wick applicator could be used to directly apply Lontrel @ the equivalent of .2 oz/M or about .25oz/Gal.

This assumes we're treating out own property & not engaged in a commercial endeavor.

The frequency with which this subject keeps coming up speaks volumes to the need to consider FALL SHRUB BED PREEMERGENT TREATMENTS.

Steve

GroundKprs
05-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Am assuming that this is an established problem, not just something new in beds this year. Vinca is one of the hardest plants to kill. Have frequently, in the long ago past, sprayed it with Roundup (the old version) and broadleaf weed killers (Trimec, SuperTrimec, and others) with no success. But I have noticed some burn on vinca when wicking grassy weeds with Roundup Pro.

Since I have not encountered this problem of vinca and clover, I cannot compare the life cycles of the desireable and pest plants readily. But you must consider them in a treatment regime:

I have often cleaned grassy weeds out of purple wintercreeper (Euonymous fortuni c.) beds by over the top spraying of Roundup in the late fall. The Euonymous is nearly dormant, so the Roundup has no effect on it, but the grasses are still growing and are easily wiped out. Of course, this is sold to the client as a complete renovation - kill everything and replant next year. Then they are thrilled next spring when the euonymous is thriving and the grass is gone, and they save the cost of the replanting. Have done same thing with grass infested juniper groundcover, by spraying early in the spring (juniper slow to start active growth here). Last year cleaned quackgrass out of a lily bed by overspraying Roundup at 1%, instead of normal 2%, 3 apps during year. (And thanks, boozoo, for your question - I forgot to go back and check that bed for stragglers, and to see if the lilies are OK this year. This was sold as a total kill and replant, also.)

If your problem was in my yard, my first attack would be a small test area, overspraying with Confront early in spring at approx 1/4 maximum rate (about 0.125 to 0.15 oz/gal in a hand sprayer, the way I calibrate my spraying). Why? Because we saw early testing of Confront at Purdue turf field day years ago, and test plots that had received the 1/4 rate were completely free of clover, but still had dandelions and other weeds.

tremor
05-24-2002, 01:00 PM
That is why I opted for the lower rate of Lontrel. It's just that good on Clover.

Steve

boozoo
05-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I especially liked the cotton glove over the rubber golve as a wick applicator! That is why I love this job and this forum. BTW, have you actually tried the "double glove" technique, or did you just think it up for my question?

excel25
05-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Ive had a couple of jobs that the glove is the only way to go, Just don't drip!!:p

HBFOXJr
05-28-2002, 05:57 PM
Sell the customer on killing the whole mess with round up and starting over. Then it would be legal to use the round up and when the vinca survives you've got a miracle. Could be plnted thicker, pre-merged and fertilized. You didn't hear it here.

Grasshog
05-29-2002, 03:05 AM
Fusillade II

mlgtrainer
06-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Hello,
Lontrel is very effective against clover. Since clover is a legume it works very quickly. Just check the product rates before spraying or using the double glove trick. I would suggest you might use a blue indicator dye to make sure you only hit your target weed.
Good luck with whatever you attempt. If the Vinca becomes more established it will crowd out the clover someday.
Keep it growing well.

KenH
06-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Groundkprs--- Did the roundup affect the junipers at all?? I have a juniper bed quickly becoming overgrown with grass---about 300' by 50'...thought about spraying with dilluted solution.... not sure though.

CSRA Landscaping
06-02-2002, 05:19 PM
KenH - FusiladeII is a much better bet.

KenH
06-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Thank you...