PDA

View Full Version : Picking up aeration plugs on golf greens

ArTurf
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Any suggestions on this? I leave them on lawns and let them breakdown naturally but these will need to be picked up to keep the greens playable. I know they make specific machines for this but that is not a option. Looking for an efficient low cost method. I know I posted this on another forum by mistake.

shiveslandcsaping
12-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Did you see my response on your other post about this?

ArTurf
12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, thanks. That sounds like it would work. Just want to get as many thoughts a possible.

JFGauvreau
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Could we also have the answer here please?

I had some rare customers that told me they don't like it when I leave the plugs, even after I told them they will dissolve and their good for your lawn.

nc-jrock
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I have heard of people dragging a six foot piece of chain link fence with some weight on it behind their mower to brake them up.

ArTurf
01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
This was originally posted in the Landscape Maintenance forum. You can find it there.

turfcobob
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Any suggestions on this? I leave them on lawns and let them breakdown naturally but these will need to be picked up to keep the greens playable. I know they make specific machines for this but that is not a option. Looking for an efficient low cost method. I know I posted this on another forum by mistake.

Just so I understand. You are aerating golf greens and want to pick up the cores? The question was kind of confusing.

ArTurf
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, I will be aerating golf greens and they want them off the greens. I have been suggested the snow shovel method just looking for other methods then will go from there.

kenneth meals
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
As mentioned in the other post a core harvester, mount to JD progator, Cushman truckster, Toro Workman, Then there's the sweepers, JD tc125,Toro pro sweep,or core processor, tow behind, then various sweeper vacs.
Some courses will just blow and shovel as said. One option for green I've used was a plow type setup that attached to the walking greens mowers, can't remember the company that makes it, but will find out. Seemed the most efficiant way, but still required shovels but not as much labor, the other options are exspensive and won't pickup much in the way of lawns with higher H.O.C. Worked as a golf course mechanic and Toro technician.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
blow them off???

TforTexas
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Lacking a core harvester I would suggest the snow shovel method. You will have a mess on your hands trying to break them up with a chain link drag, bruise the greens and leave too much debris on the greens to be playable. Save the dragging for the topdressing.

turfcobob
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Yes, I will be aerating golf greens and they want them off the greens. I have been suggested the snow shovel method just looking for other methods then will go from there.

aThere is equiment available for picking up cores but it is expensive. We designed one unit at Cushman 20 years ago that did a great job. Called the core harvestor, and I believe Toro came up with one.

In all honesty nice plastic snow scoops will be your best bet with the least damage to the green. Ryan used to make a product called the Levelawn specifically for pushing cores. I still have one in my shop and probably most golf courses will have them. Also they now make those snow pushers on wheels that would work well.

IF they just want the greens cleaned and not soil removal you can take a verticut, set it about 1/8 inch above the green surface and chop the cores after they have dried. Then you can blow the organic material off the green. But that is nearly as much work as the snow pusher / scoop.

Honestly it is and always will be a crappy hard work kind of job.

tnwildcat
01-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Blowing them all of will take forever. Using a drag mat will bruise the greens. You push them to the edges of the green with a 24 or 36 inch landscaping rake upside down. There is specific tool to push plug made thing is handle will be on bottom of blade so that your not digging into turf. Then you scoop them up and blow what is left on the greens. Contrary to what everyone thinks you need to treat a golf green like your mother-in-laws oriental rug. If this is eighteen holes you are looking at a couple of days.

kenneth meals
01-06-2010, 10:09 PM
The "Core Hog" by Par Aide is a good unit mounts to most walking greens mowers. www.paraide.com

shortgrass01
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Dont waste you time collecting these plugs for customers needs, maybe for your own if you can get them to your place before they die.

grdrc1963
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I've worked at a private golf course the last couple seasons part time spraying 37 acres of fairways (Bent) and 2.5 acres of greens (Bent). We core aerate in Spring and Fall, and needle punch in summer at least once but usually twice.

1- never drag anything metal over greens mowed at .10 inch
2- never drive equipment over the green unless absolutely necessary
2a- never make a turn with equipment on a green
3- never blow plugs of bent into the rough, they will root and take over

If you do not have an accumulator on the aerator, (we do) then take an aluminum lute and push lightly into piles, then pickup with a plastic scoop shovel, being very careful not to damage the grass mowed at 1/10 of an inch.

After aeration, you will have to topdress with kiln dried sand and broom back into the holes you made until full.

After that, you will have to roll daily with a triplex or Salsco, after cutting daily to get the greens smooth again

Then after a week or so, the players will quit complaining about bouncing balls.......