PDA

View Full Version : snow plow?

drpepperinacan
01-01-2010, 12:29 AM
I have a 1986 f150 that is 4x4. I have someone that is going to sell me 6 and a1/2 ft plow to put on it. do any of you all think that this truck will be able to push it and will it be to hard on the powertrain of the truck?

Hoy landscaping
01-01-2010, 12:36 AM
it will be just fine. and yes the tranny takes the hardest hit when plowing. forward and back over and over all day is very hard on a tranny. just make sure you stop completely before backing up

DiyDave
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
6-1/2' ain't very wide for a full sized truck. You may find your rear wheels riding in unplowed snow, on the curves. Just my $.02.:waving:

whosedog
01-01-2010, 09:25 AM
My son plows with a 95 Ranger 3.0 6cyl that he bought from a friend,has 6.6 western on it.First year needed trans and differential thanks to the beating his "friend" gave it.Now it works fine,just fill up tank and load up back with bags of salt and it plows great.He uses it on driveways and small parking lots;leave the big lots to the big plows.Keep a spare hydraulic line,channel locks, fluid and funnel with you cause it's a pain to lift that plow and chain it up to get back to the shop when you bust a line(and you will)

drpepperinacan
01-01-2010, 01:58 PM
it will be just fine. and yes the tranny takes the hardest hit when plowing. forward and back over and over all day is very hard on a tranny. just make sure you stop completely before backing up

thanks I didn't think the shifting between forwards and reverse would cause the most damage , i thought maybe the work of pushing the plow itself would hurt but your probably right . thanks for the perspective!

drpepperinacan
01-01-2010, 01:59 PM
6-1/2' ain't very wide for a full sized truck. You may find your rear wheels riding in unplowed snow, on the curves. Just my $.02.:waving:

I didn't really consider that possibility but I was afraid a bigger plow might be to big for and f150.

drpepperinacan
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
My son plows with a 95 Ranger 3.0 6cyl that he bought from a friend,has 6.6 western on it.First year needed trans and differential thanks to the beating his "friend" gave it.Now it works fine,just fill up tank and load up back with bags of salt and it plows great.He uses it on driveways and small parking lots;leave the big lots to the big plows.Keep a spare hydraulic line,channel locks, fluid and funnel with you cause it's a pain to lift that plow and chain it up to get back to the shop when you bust a line(and you will)

I would have never thought to bring the extra hose! thanks! athough I have been in the snow removal buisness for a while now I have never used a plow! thanks for all your help , I will be very well prepared the the next snow!

drpepperinacan
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I was wondering If I should invest in some chains for the truck. would they help out alot when plowing or would they just make the ride really bumpy? do the inconvienances outweigh the how much the chains will help me?

ponyexpress976
01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Chains will just slow you down on the way to your next driveway/lot. To much trouble for the little gain in traction....unless a 2 wheel drive truck is your only option.

Nick Hawkins
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I have to defrost a pile Of Dirt but my turbo heater is broken can i Throw salt on the pile to loosen it??????

LindblomRJ
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Good snow tires and ballast would be the best thing. Chains would slow you down on the road and more of a pita. If you are really worried about transmission wear might consider dropping the 4x4 into low range.

drpepperinacan
01-02-2010, 12:26 AM
thanks for all you all for your advice!

Glenn Lawn Care
01-02-2010, 01:34 AM
you can put a 8 ft plow on there at it would be fine. i see all sort of half tons and smaller trucks with plows on them.

ponyexpress976
01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I have an 7.5 foot fisher with wings on my dodge 1500 (makes it close to 9ft). 6-8 bags of salt and a snow blower for ballast and it does just fine. 170,000 miles on motor and tranny. Only thing I don't do is shift it like I'm playing bass in a speed metal band. Plow with a storm so you aren't pushing more than 6"at a time.
Only reason I want to unload this set up is that my business has grown in spite of the Obama administration and I need something bigger. Truck and plow has 8,000 in it and over the last few years has made me 5x's that in snow duty alone. Pretty good for the "off season"

drpepperinacan
01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
you can put a 8 ft plow on there at it would be fine. i see all sort of half tons and smaller trucks with plows on them.

thats a relief , my main concern is that the drivetrain wouldn't be able to handle pushing the snow and break and that would be bad considering this is my only vehicle at the moment.

drpepperinacan
01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I have an 7.5 foot fisher with wings on my dodge 1500 (makes it close to 9ft). 6-8 bags of salt and a snow blower for ballast and it does just fine. 170,000 miles on motor and tranny. Only thing I don't do is shift it like I'm playing bass in a speed metal band. Plow with a storm so you aren't pushing more than 6"at a time.
Only reason I want to unload this set up is that my business has grown in spite of the Obama administration and I need something bigger. Truck and plow has 8,000 in it and over the last few years has made me 5x's that in snow duty alone. Pretty good for the "off season"

mine has about 103,000 miles on it total so far and I will have about $3,000 total in the truck and plow. the plow only costs about $500 and it's a used 61/2 to 7 ft (not exactly sure of the size) . it raises up and down on it's own but you have to manually turn it from side to side but it's really all I can afford and it's still a good plow.my buisness has also grown in spite of the reccession!

drpepperinacan
01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
could anyone give me some advice on how to price parking lots big and small?

whosedog
01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Honestly I wouldn't buy that plow you're looking at if it doesn't turn right or left;wait until you can afford one that does,you will be sorry if you buy that one; it has little resale value. Just imagine jumping in and out of your truck to adjust the angle in all kinds of bad weather you will be cursing the day you bought it.To price the lots, talk to guys in your area, also the owners of the lots,different areas of the country get different rates and the amount of accumulation and salting needed change the price.

drpepperinacan
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Honestly I wouldn't buy that plow you're looking at if it doesn't turn right or left;wait until you can afford one that does,you will be sorry if you buy that one; it has little resale value. Just imagine jumping in and out of your truck to adjust the angle in all kinds of bad weather you will be cursing the day you bought it.To price the lots, talk to guys in your area, also the owners of the lots,different areas of the country get different rates and the amount of accumulation and salting needed change the price.

I believe the guy told me that the plow is missing the "cylingers" as he called them to make it turn right or left. thanks for the advice.

Swampy
01-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I believe the guy told me that the plow is missing the "cylingers" as he called them to make it turn right or left. thanks for the advice.

So its missing rams. Do you know what size the rams are that you need? or what style?

LindblomRJ
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Depends on the plow, parts care available. If the plow needs parts, I hope they are making a good enough price. Make sure the pump and controller are in good enough shape.

ponyexpress976
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
...can be tricky for lots. Is it a place that needs to be cleared at all times like a convenience store? Or a place that just needs to be opened up by the start of business. If you have to be there for the whole storm or frequently throughout, price it by the hour. If not price it by the amount of snow when you only have to open it once...like up to 4", 4-8", over a foot etc.

drpepperinacan
01-05-2010, 12:18 AM
So its missing rams. Do you know what size the rams are that you need? or what style?

no, not really . I could call the guy and ask though . I am lucky he is not trying to sell the plow to any one else or it would be gone by now! I believe It is a 61/2-7 ft plow and is made especcially for ford trucks. he told me that it was missing the cylinders or something. although a guy in rocky mount had a plow just like it with the same problem. I wonder if they are just not made with the rams or they are just both coincidentally missing them?

drpepperinacan
01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
...can be tricky for lots. Is it a place that needs to be cleared at all times like a convenience store? Or a place that just needs to be opened up by the start of business. If you have to be there for the whole storm or frequently throughout, price it by the hour. If not price it by the amount of snow when you only have to open it once...like up to 4", 4-8", over a foot etc.

what would be a good hourly rate for that kind of work? just so I have an Idea of what to charge.