PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tracks on a T300

wanabe
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I think I have a T300 bought, and the dealer is going to give me a new set of 18 inch Camoplast tracks for it. How hard are they to put on? Just pull the grease fitting and push the cylinder back? What else needs to be done when I have the tracks off? Do the rollers need bearings? Machine has 1000 hours on it. Thanks

bobcat_ron
01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
There's a bleed valve on the tensioners, they look like a grease fitting, but all you have to do is turn them loose, and the grease squirts out of them, a trick I did once was use a mini excavator to lift the top of the track and pull to get more grease out faster and give me more slack.

Rollers are fine, they will last quite a bit longer than you think.

As for getting the track on, jack it up, slide the bottom of the track under the rollers and rear idler and over the sprocket, lower the machine down and you should be able to roll the machine forward to get the front of the track on the front idler, you might need a spotter to help guide the track with a long pry bar and a sledge hammer.
Don't try to lift any part of the track by hand, it's heavier than it looks, use equipment as much as possible.

curtisfarmer
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I am still amazed at how much tracked machines cost to run.....new tracks at 1,00o hrs. I hear horror stories that include new sprockets, rollers, and other stuff adding up huge. I run 2 Kubota L48s (TLB) and a KX121-3 and always argue (friendly) with friends in MA who run Bobcats as to what is better. They work in tighter situations but nothing my machines cannot do. When told of $8-9+K in track/ UC repairs, the discussion gets animated. My operating costs are less than 1/2 of a tracked machine with = performance. Granted there are some areas each type of machine is better, but overall I am amazed at how many people run tracked machines for applications where another machine would be better and cheaper. I love my Kubota TLBs, very versatile. I will usually bring the KX121-3 and a L48 to a job site and have everything covered. Looking forward to Kubotas CTL even though I will never buy one.

Kepple Services
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM
It can be easy, or a pain in the ass... Get the side your changing off the ground, release the grease fitting on the rear, and to save yourself a huge mess, have a large straw near(A mcdonalds straw works awsome) and hold it on the fitting to direct the large amount of grease into a cup. The front accress panel has the spring for the front idler behind it, open that and use a large prybar, or a BFS to pry the spring backwards to release the pressure on the tracks by moving the front idler all the way back. Take a piece of wood like a 2x4 and put it in the middle of the track frame to keep the track from catching on the frame. You should be able to pull the track off the front now, and then the sprocket. To install the new track the easiest, push it under the rear idler first, slide it next to the front idler, install it onto the sprocket, and then the front idler. Regrease the adjuster and your done. The first set of tracks I did, it took me almost 2 hours to do EACH... I was struggling like a mother. I then watched a bobcat tech do it alone, in under 15 minutes... I saw what he did, and copied it... works GREAT.

wanabe
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Got them changed today. I still can not believe how heavy and tough the tracks are. The McDonalds straw trick works great.