PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest a good but affordable chipper shredder?

WHIPPLE5.7
01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I"m tired of hauling off massive loads of sticks and branches that could be reduced to 1/10 the size. Most are around 2 or 3 inches. I was looking at the bearcats but was hoaping for something alittle cheaper. I never see any used ones.

White Gardens
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
First thing I want to ask is if you'll truly save time by chipping and shredding materials. It takes a while to chip stuff down with a smaller chipper so the time you would save going to the dump will be negated by the time to chip everything. Something to consider.

So, I would suggest a Patriot Chipper Shredder. Little more expensive, but light, direct drive, and has a Marine bearing in the shaft that will last a long time.

WHIPPLE5.7
01-01-2010, 01:10 PM
First thing I want to ask is if you'll truly save time by chipping and shredding materials. It takes a while to chip stuff down with a smaller chipper so the time you would save going to the dump will be negated by the time to chip everything. Something to consider.

So, I would suggest a Patriot Chipper Shredder. Little more expensive, but light, direct drive, and has a Marine bearing in the shaft that will last a long time.

Yes I just came across the Patriots and they look good and in my price range. The time factor isn't my biggest issue because the dump is often very far from where I'm working and I need more space in the truck to finish other jobs lined up. More than a few times the first job of the day had limbs to be hauled off and then I was out of space for other debris yet the dump was way out of my way. I figured I mount the chipper kind of high on the front of my trailer and the schute would be lined up with my dump box. That way I wouldn't have to be loading and unloading the chipper. It would kind be mounted like a leaf loader.

ponyexpress976
01-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Mackissic makes a really nice unit. I had one of the 10hp models...12pt I think. Got rid of it when I came across an SC183 for a steal.