PDA

View Full Version : How to stripe a lawn

Houstonarvizu
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I have seen people make the stripe disign into their lawn and i was wondering how it was done

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/docholiday_2009/grassgroomer/IMG_3000.jpg

ponyexpress976
01-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Make a stripe, turn around and come back along the same line. Grass gets pushed over and the light reflecting off the grass causes the different look.

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 03:13 PM
buy a scag 1st!

Houstonarvizu
01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big, the mower just does it itself? or is it somthing certain, also, it is mulching???

Houstonarvizu
01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Disregard: "scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big, the mower just does it itself? or is it somthing certain, also, it is mulching??? "

okay, common since, it comes out looking good, do many people favor this over their lawn without the clippings on top, being as in mulched??

scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big.

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
mine does it on its own the striping.(Mow one way/turn around and come back the other direction) As for the mulch question, I have never bagged any clippings. This is not a good practice. Each time you bag, your taking the nutrients out of the lawn. If the species of grass is mowed to the correct height regularly (weekly) bagging is not required.
If you are using a smaller mower (residential unit) most of those, you may have to lift up the rock gaurd slightly (level)to get it to disperse the clippings a little more. if it is slanted downward, your clippings will pile up in a row. Don't remove the rock guard, just level it.

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.scag.com/showyourstripes.html

Check this out!

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Yes, people think the stripes are cool! it is a good thing!

Houstonarvizu
01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
thank you guys, this will help alot when i start back up in this upcoming season

ponyexpress976
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
The mower will do this to an extent. Most equipment manufacturers make striping kits for the back of the deck. If you are short on coin and wanna exercise your brain a little, all you need to do is build something to hand off the back of the deck to drag over the lawn. My exmark was a dealer demo so it came with the roller installed. I've seen short sections of chain, a heavy rubber skirt with a piece of angle iron at the end for weight and several other ghetto engineered idea....all of them worked as well as my factory kit....makes me glad I didn't shell out extra for it.
As far as clippings go, if the customer wants them off the lawn, take them off the lawn. Leaving them might cut down one or two fert applications a year depending on the region of the country and soil type. Fert is only a short term quick fix. It doesn't build up good soil structure. I'm not one of those preaching "green freaks" with a hemp necklace and smell like pot but do some research. Get them to aerate spring and fall and long term you will have a happy customer. Leave the clipping but if they are heavy mow once making stripes and then make a second pass over the lawn with the deck height raised slightly and makes striped in a perpendicular pattern. Also change the direction of your stripes every week to get a cleaner cut and prevent ruts and layover.

MikeWeathers
01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Sharp blades, good strong mower, wide deck. Make 1 or 2 passes around perimeter of lawn, find a starting point and go down and back, down and back making the stripes. It can be done with small deck (21") but it looks "busy" IMO. Wider deck (36" or 48") leaves nice wide stripe that stands out. Everyone is right..the visual effect is caused by laying all the blades of grass in one direction in one pass, the the other direction in the next pass. Of course it should go without saying that the grass needs to be healthy, strong, a good green and weed free...why dress up a pig right? I am not a fan of bagging..If you do bag you should charge a premium for the service..it's costing you $ to do it. BTW stripes aren't the only visual effect you can do...I've seen what amounts to crop circles cut into large lawns..lol

ponyexpress976
01-02-2010, 10:28 AM
good point Weathers, if they want it bagged charge for it. Every second the mower is not cutting, you are losing money. And then you have to dispose of it. Flat rate (works for smaller properties) or per collection stop (for the 1 acre plus yards)...just figure out what works best for you and your customers.

Junior M
01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I find the best stripes are done by going forward in one pass, then do the next pass back in reverse..

santafe
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I find the best stripes are done by going forward in one pass, then do the next pass back in reverse..

this advice works best on lots over 2 ac.

MileHigh
01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Go around in a circle...duh. :dizzy:

Turf Dawg
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
thank you guys, this will help alot when i start back up in this upcoming season

Sorry, but they forgot to mention about the grass types. The best I remember most of your area is going to be Bermuda, so you can pretty much forget about striping. The cool season grass' like Fescue, Bluegrass and Rye stripe great.

I thought from your town to Vernon, all that would grow was cotton anways.:laugh::laugh::laugh::drinkup:

Houstonarvizu
01-02-2010, 11:38 PM
alright, yea i guess the grass around here isnt suitable to have all the fancy work, cause i havent seen many houses like that around here, but its worth a try

M & MD Lawn
01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
My advice- KEEP UNDER THE DECK CLEAN, i also run high lift blades they seem to help, i would say get the basic up and down striping approach first then you can get more complicated. I kno the keeping the deck clean works for my exmark great and high lifts also, check out my profile pic, thats the type of stripes i lay with my 48" great dane

Mahoney3223
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I thought stripes were aliens moving the crop circles over to the lawns?? :dizzy::hammerhead:

thewall
01-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Most landscapers who cut domestic lawns here in the UK use a push mower with a rear roller that drives the mower,over here people like their lawns cut at less than 2" high and always bag the cuttings.

clean_cut
01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah the way you have your deck setup will help too, I think you need to lower the deck, and raise the blades inside the deck to create suction.

Correct me if I'm wrong though guys. :)

J & D Greens
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
To me it would be best to mow the stripes first then go around the perimeter to clean up the area where the turns are made.

anotherturfgeek
01-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Most landscapers who cut domestic lawns here in the UK use a push mower with a rear roller that drives the mower,over here people like their lawns cut at less than 2" high and always bag the cuttings.

What are the most popular grass types up in the UK? What do you do with the clippings?

thewall
01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Alot of the cultivated turf used in the UK is Red Fescue,Perennial Rygrass and Meadow grass these grass are hard wearing and stand close cutting,i take my cuttings to farmer.I personally don't treat any lawns and i don't no of many landscapers who do,over the last 5yrs there have been firms who go round and treat lawns for you,and from what i have seen they do a good job for the money,in my area most lawns suffer from moss and other low growing weeds.
From some of the pics i have seen on this forum the domestic lawns over here are not as big or open as yours,houses here are alot closer together and enclosed on all sides.
My largest lawn is 1200 sq yards my smallest is 20 sq yards(a pain)

FATGUY
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
My advice- KEEP UNDER THE DECK CLEAN, i also run high lift blades they seem to help, i would say get the basic up and down striping approach first then you can get more complicated. I kno the keeping the deck clean works for my exmark great and high lifts also, check out my profile pic, thats the type of stripes i lay with my 48" great dane

Hi all, Joe Homeowner here. First post, great site. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati Ohio, the grass I have I'm told is Fescue. I mow with a residential push mower on its highest setting (about 3") I love the way distinct lawn stripes look but do not have the type of property that would warrant any type of pro mower. I purchased a "lawn-stryper" and have to say I'm less than impressed. The lines are there, but you more or less have to look for them. How can I make them more distinct? The stryper is full of wet sand and I mow two ways each time. How does cleaning the deck each time help?

M & MD Lawn
05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi all, Joe Homeowner here. First post, great site. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati Ohio, the grass I have I'm told is Fescue. I mow with a residential push mower on its highest setting (about 3") I love the way distinct lawn stripes look but do not have the type of property that would warrant any type of pro mower. I purchased a "lawn-stryper" and have to say I'm less than impressed. The lines are there, but you more or less have to look for them. How can I make them more distinct? The stryper is full of wet sand and I mow two ways each time. How does cleaning the deck each time help?

I had a roller for the back of my push mower and had the same effect thats why i use my commercial 48 now, but as for keeping the deck clean it allows more space for vacuum to be built under the deck which in turn bends the grass, thats on commercial mowers im not sure on push mowers. Most i could say on the push mower is go the same way and see if you can burn them in then try another pattern, get one in first :)

FATGUY
05-19-2010, 10:16 PM
thanks for the response! I assume by burning. you mean I should go the same way a number of times?

M & MD Lawn
05-19-2010, 10:29 PM
thanks for the response! I assume by burning. you mean I should go the same way a number of times?

yes sir, my neighbor did it, his looked good

FATGUY
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
will do, thanks again!

Glenn Lawn Care
05-19-2010, 10:38 PM
its the way the grass is bent.

soloscaperman
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
To me it would be best to mow the stripes first then go around the perimeter to clean up the area where the turns are made.

shhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell the secret. Customer love it.

phillie
05-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey Joe homeowner, depending on what type of fescue it is it may not stripe that easily. Tall fescue grows in clumps and would not stripe as well as blue grass, rye grass, etc. etc.

M & MD Lawn
05-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey Joe homeowner, depending on what type of fescue it is it may not stripe that easily. Tall fescue grows in clumps and would not stripe as well as blue grass, rye grass, etc. etc.

i never took into account the grass type, good call:clapping:

kirk1701
05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Sharp blades, good strong mower, wide deck. Make 1 or 2 passes around perimeter of lawn, find a starting point and go down and back, down and back making the stripes. It can be done with small deck (21") but it looks "busy" IMO. Wider deck (36" or 48") leaves nice wide stripe that stands out. Everyone is right..the visual effect is caused by laying all the blades of grass in one direction in one pass, the the other direction in the next pass. Of course it should go without saying that the grass needs to be healthy, strong, a good green and weed free...why dress up a pig right? I am not a fan of bagging..If you do bag you should charge a premium for the service..it's costing you $ to do it. BTW stripes aren't the only visual effect you can do...I've seen what amounts to crop circles cut into large lawns..lol

Pretty much what I do, I mow with my 21" on a 45 degree angle to my front then next mowing in the opposite 45 angle so you still have both designs. Third mowing gets done with the 48" tractor so all 3 designs stay in the yard :cool2:

kirk1701
05-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Mine does :weightlifter:

FATGUY
05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
What I didn't realize is that this is an on going process. I just assumed (newbie) that I buy the striper, install it and next thing you know my front yard looks like a baseball diamond.... I'm definately going to try the "burning the pattern in approach" Once again, thanks to all the pro's that step in to help the new guy.

kirk1701
05-22-2010, 11:50 PM

I have to disagree there, if your referring to TTTF then Mine stripes beautifully. I mow three different directions each time I mow to keep all three designs in the lawn all the time.

One at a 45 degree angle to the street again the second time in the opposite direction to the 45 degree angle and third time with the riding mower straight across and always have all three stripes all the time.

mowin at the lake
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Do a search on here, check out eric ELM. He posted a lot about striping and has some excellent pics. He is no longer with us, has passed on a few years ago.Most of his posts were long before most guys on here joined (99-01).

twobroslawns
05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
For a basic 21 inch mower, it helps to lower the front one notch below the back.

kirk1701
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
For a basic 21 inch mower, it helps to lower the front one notch below the back.

Hmm, thanks I might try that.