PDA

View Full Version : Communication options

Dirt Boy
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Probably not the right forum, but figured this was perhaps most logical.

Scenario:
Working at job site with equipment (tractor, etc.) in conjunction with one or more helpers that are "on the ground" doing handwork, etc.

Question is this:
Do any of you use communication equipment to facilitate communicating back & forth between equipment operator and the others working with you? Other than shouting!

Short range, hands free, headset type?

If so, what type?
If not, how do you communicate?

Thanks

Kepple Services
01-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Hand signals. We have a pretty good idea of what everyone is doing. If there is anything that needs to really be explained, the machine goes off and we talk.

bobcat_ron
01-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Yell at them, and if they see the finger, they know they are doing something wrong.

Bigger equipment I would want 2 way hand held radio equipment.

1idejim
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
we use hand signals, nextel walkie and back it all up with the key (turn the machine off) :)

when i am doing locating work the only thing i'll carry is my west marine ( no conflict with transmitters ) :waving:

kenwood is the radio of choice for the fire agencies in ca.

RockSet N' Grade
01-01-2010, 05:50 PM
since we are working with trucks, skids and hoe's: I have installed cb radio's in skids and hoes. They are a portable type that plug into a cig lighter. I got antenna's that are magnetic mount and mount them outside. It seems to work well. Communicating with the ground guys: talk, yell, hand signal, horn........don't want to encumber them with extra weight or bulk - plus, they would break them in a heart beat just so they don't have to carry them.

Dirt Boy
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks, pretty much do the same, but I see the coaches with their headsets, mouth pieces that flip up and down, etc. and just thought that perhaps something like that might work without having to shout, finger, etc.

Wouldn't use them except when doing work where we are closely interacting - move a little here, dig down a couple here, etc. etc.

Gravel Rat
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Around here it is hand singles or a horn but anything important shut the machine off and tell the person.

Scag48
01-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Get hand signals figured out, that's the easiest way. Getting guys on the ground to carry a radio if to talk to someone in a skid steer or tractor is worthless, IMO. If they're far enough away to not hear you yell or comprehend hand signals, you're not close enough to actually be working with them anyway.

When I'm working with a dozen or more trucks, I carry a handheld CB. Very convenient when things get crazy, it's the fastest way to communicate. Being able to talk to drivers when they're a little way out letting them know of dump route changes, special instructions, etc..

Gravel Rat
01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I hear what gets Rons attention is a BBW wearing a string bikini with her cottage cheese thighs and lots of rolls of fat :laugh:

I was taught when you want a operators attention throw something past the front window.

NEVER walk up to the side of a working excavator it can swing at anytime. A rock or your hat works the operator looks and stops what they are doing.

Ozz
01-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I hear what gets Rons attention is a BBW wearing a string bikini with her cottage cheese thighs and lots of rolls of fat :laugh:

I was taught when you want a operators attention throw something past the front window.

NEVER walk up to the side of a working excavator it can swing at anytime. A rock or your hat works the operator looks and stops what they are doing.

OR a TLB's boom. Almost killed my dad like that. Radios work...

Gravel Rat
01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
What most contractors use is cellphones even when working on jobsites. Around here the same frequency is used for all the contractors and you don't want to be saying stuff over the radio.

What ever you do is keep safe and keep out of the swing areas of any machine. Get their attention somehow it only takes a second to get run over or knocked over.

Dirt Boy
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Sunday night, a guy here in town was killed.

Father & son moving snow with a front end loader, and what else I don't know, father backed over his son with the loader.

Major tragedy to have happen, to say the least!