PDA

View Full Version : Heated hardscapes

tthomass
01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Anybody installing heating systems under driveways, patios, walkways etc? What system did you use? Like it? Costs? Issues?

loupiscopolandscaping
01-08-2010, 10:25 PM
ive been thinking about this type of set up....just turn it on and melt the snow thats coming down.lol

Moneypit
01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I have only done radiant heat under tile jobs, but I will be pouring a 900 SF concrete drive in march with radiant heat. I'll let you know how it goes if you can wait a few months.

tthomass
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
What system are you using? Is it liquid or electric?

Moneypit
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM
It will be liquid. Electric is more expensive to operate, but much easier to install.

EagleLandscape
01-10-2010, 01:17 PM
my neighbor did a system in his foundation of the shop. he laid PEX pipe in there, and attached it to a water heater. looked extremely easy to install, not sure if this would work for your application Todd, but worth looking into.

Fiano Landscapes
01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
We have been looking into a few different sysems. With the research we have done into the electric systems, its pretty involving. The systems take so much amperage to run. We were looking into doing a system on one of our jobs, but we were going to have to add an entire service panel just for the system. It was needing almost 125 amps of sevice to run. It is ideal if your working with a new construction project. Where adding a additional service panel isn't a huge undertaking. Make sure to do plenty of research before quoting, and/or comitting to doing a system. Your definitely not going to make any money at first. I am using a good customer of mine to do our first system. This is going to be an excellent opportunity to to learn, and give a good customer of ours a great deal. Sometimes you have to give a few away to learn.

We are going to actively pursure this more, when we are a lot more efficient, and can be profitable.

tthomass
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
What are some of these systems/brands? I'm looking at doing it at my house first for the parking area I'm building as it won't really be plowable.

CLC
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
i have a plowing account with heated sidewalks, let me tell you it sucks when it snows, melts then it cant melt fast enough and then its soild ice under the snow

loupiscopolandscaping
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
wow that sucks!