PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going to a DRW truck?

maelawncare
01-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Well im going to be upgrading one of my trucks in march and still trying to decide exactly what to look for.

I really want to go to a DRW but i have my concerns. Obviously theres 2 extra tires to replace, which are now even more expensive. I have heard that they get worse gas mileage than the SRW brethren. And i plow in the winter. So the extra width i am concerned about. Hitting things and less down pressure on the rear tires.

March through November though, i am pulling a 7,000lb enclosed trailer. I dont pull anything over 7klbs much, but i do about once a month. Which is a bobcat and sometimes a loaded dump trailer. So it would be nice to have the dually for extra load capacity and easier towing.

What do you guys think? And those of you that have went from a SRW to a DRW, did you like your choice?

SRW=single rear wheel, DRW=dual real wheel.

White Gardens
01-02-2010, 03:41 AM
My DRW is used for hauling purposes and plowing. The DWR usually means more gvwr when hauling so you need to take into consideration what you'll be hauling and if you actually need it or not. If you don't plan on hauling anything over the manufactures gvwr and your level of plates on the truck then a swr would be sufficient.

I use my F-350 that is drw and contractors/mason dump to haul heavier materials legally. It also is a shorter wheel-base and two wheel drive and I have no problems plowing snow with it in the winter as long as I have the proper weight in the bed when plowing and not " ram-rodding" around like it's a 4wd.

Next truck I'm getting is a F-450 for the gvwr purposes.

maelawncare
01-02-2010, 03:42 AM
I use my F-350 that is drw and contractors/mason dump to haul heavier materials legally.

Legally, huh whats that? :hammerhead:

buttaluv
01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
why would you want the extra expense to haul 7,000 lbs?

White Gardens
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Legally, huh whats that? :hammerhead:

Is that a serious question ?

White Gardens
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
why would you want the extra expense to haul 7,000 lbs?

Depends what your using it for I guess. A 3/4 ton with a dump trailer will haul just as much or more legally than a 1 ton DWR with a dump bed. But in my situation the truck was cheap to begin with, and I can haul salt in the winter when I plow.

maelawncare
01-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Is that a serious question ?

No just throwing some humor out there.

And if i did go with a dually i would eventually put a flatbed on it. So i could haul pallets a little easier. I wont need a dump bed, because i have a dump trailer.

White Gardens
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
No just throwing some humor out there.

And if i did go with a dually i would eventually put a flatbed on it. So i could haul pallets a little easier. I wont need a dump bed, because i have a dump trailer.

I thought you were joking, but had to clarify.

If you feel that the DWR is worth it for your application then go for it. As for tires, I'm running on the same set I had when I got mine. The truck gets used but isn't a daily driver, so I have 75% tread left after 2.5 years.

Flatbed would work, but if you could get a flatbed dump, or a contractors dump with drop-sides, I think you'd be better off. You might want to haul something behind you, and if you can't utilize the trailer to dump, then you'll have the truck to do it. Might as well keep your options open if your going to get a DWR.

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
For towing purposes, there is no difference. The only difference is what you can carry in the bed. Also if you are not hauling HEAVY loads all the time I wouldn't because it is just more tires to replace.

360ci
01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I'd stick with a 2500 unless payload is a concern. If you have a tandem fladbed trailer, you can haul a skid (or two depending on weight) on that. Tires aren't all that much more pricey. DRW have narrower tires, which are lower cost than a 265 or 285 tire. I know times are changing and DRW trucks can be had with 265 tires with a shorter sidewall, but a 2500 will give you and your load better ride characteristics. If you only plan to haul the odd pallet or two a year, a DRW is not worth it.

A lot of times in the past, I've rented a 3/5 ton truck and before I'd turn it in, I'd order a skid of safety salt in the 40kg bags. The skid weight was pushing 3000lbs, which is too much for a 3/4 ton crew 4x4 that I was using. I'm also 250lbs, plus my brother (200lbs) and tools in the crew cab (200lbs) would put me 1K over gross. Anyway, when I ordered the skid, I asked them if they could split it in two, on separate pallets. I gave them good business in the past with water softener salt ($2K/month for my old car wash/service station that I owned) so they complied without hesitation. I'd rather make two trips, even if it takes an extra half hour, than to run not only overloaded, but top heavy as well. I'm sure the Chevy could've handled running overweight by 1K for a short trip, but it's not worth the risk.

For those that drive illegally be sure to not get involved in any accident. Even if someone crosses the line and drives into your truck, if it's proven that you were running overloaded you'll be the one charged for the accident, as you weren't suppose to have been there in the first place. I know the MTO here in Ontario is very lax compared to the DOT in the States. Drive safe - any other way isn't worth it.

White Gardens
01-02-2010, 08:12 PM
So, in my situation, I have an s-10 as a gopher mobile and light trailer usage. It has four wheel drive and gets around nicely in the winter and I can pull my tiny trailer with it.

My F-350 is my plow truck, and all around work horse. It's nice to have that separation and the option to tow larger equipment with ease. Other wise it rarely tows a trailer and ultimately is a little more nimble with a short wheel-base.

maelawncare
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
My F-350 is my plow truck, and all around work horse. It's nice to have that separation and the option to tow larger equipment with ease. Other wise it rarely tows a trailer and ultimately is a little more nimble with a short wheel-base.

so your f350 is a standard cab? Cause i think the shorter wheel base would be the s10 :P

Im looking at a crew cab, either short bed or long bed on the dually.

I almost bought a 06 f350 cc short bed dually but couldnt get the price right.

360ci
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
so your f350 is a standard cab? Cause i think the shorter wheel base would be the s10 :P

I thought about that too... He probably modified the F350 with enough power to give it rear wheel steering! Zero turn F350 - best in class!

White Gardens
01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh you guys, the jokes keep getting worse and worse on here. :laugh:

My f-350 is a shorter wheelbase compared to extended/crew cabs/ and long beds. I think the wheel base is around 135 inches or something like that. Makes it much easier to plow in tight/small parking lots.

360ci
01-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Actually a reg cab dually is a rare find in my area. Most I see are crew with some extended cabs. With a crew cab long bed, you'd easily have a truck with a 168"-172" WB depending on the manufacturer. 138" WB plow truck is the best to have. Especially as most plows stick out front a good three feet. I'm sure most guys who plow with a crew or ext cab use it as their daily driver as well, which makes sense.

TXNSLighting
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Oh you guys, the jokes keep getting worse and worse on here. :laugh:

My f-350 is a shorter wheelbase compared to extended/crew cabs/ and long beds. I think the wheel base is around 135 inches or something like that. Makes it much easier to plow in tight/small parking lots.

Its a crew cab short bed dually. Thats the easiest way to say it. Same length as a super cab long bed dually.

White Gardens
01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Its a crew cab short bed dually. Thats the easiest way to say it. Same length as a super cab long bed dually.

It's a standard cab/chassis.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152216&d=1245458991

360ci
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
It's a standard cab/chassis.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152216&d=1245458991

Not bad! ...gotta take some NevrDull to that front bumper :)

White Gardens
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Not bad! ...gotta take some NevrDull to that front bumper :)

Luckily you can't see the hole in the bumper on the other side. I need to get a new one, but isn't necessarily a priority.

360ci
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Luckily you can't see the hole in the bumper on the other side. I need to get a new one, but isn't necessarily a priority.

Ah. I don't blame you. Work trucks aren't meant to be gussied up anyway. Chrome is just more maintenance in the long run.

GravelyNut
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't recall any of the big 3 making such unit. Duallys were std cab long bed, ext cab long bed, and crew cab long bed. Short beds were single rear wheel. Cab and chassis units could also be had in std, ext, and crew cab with duals in the same wheelbases and Ford built std cab units on crewcab long wheelbase frames. They look strange when you see a welder/generator between the cab and the long utility bed.

White Gardens
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Ah. I don't blame you. Work trucks aren't meant to be gussied up anyway. Chrome is just more maintenance in the long run.

You can't tell too bad in the photo too, but my cab corners are rotting out, along with the rocker panel, and the section of floor-board along the rocker.

It needs a steering pump, steering box, probably due for a motor swap, and I think one of the body mounts is starting to deteriorate.

The truck was in even worse shape when I bought it, and part of me thinks it's about time to take the plow and dump off and get a f-450 with a better body and a V-10 or 460.

Basically I bought the dump and plow for 3K and got a free truck. I've gotten as much or more use out of it as I could expect for a truck in the shape that was in before I started working on it.

maelawncare
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't recall any of the big 3 making such unit. Duallys were std cab long bed, ext cab long bed, and crew cab long bed. Short beds were single rear wheel. Cab and chassis units could also be had in std, ext, and crew cab with duals in the same wheelbases and Ford built std cab units on crewcab long wheelbase frames. They look strange when you see a welder/generator between the cab and the long utility bed.

Your wrong. Ford at least sold crew cab short bed drw up till 09 year. Someone i know has a 08 black short bed crew cab drw.

Tennesseepowerstroke
01-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Ford had a short bed, dually crew cab as early as 2001. I don't know when or if they quit making them.

GravelyNut
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Your wrong. Ford at least sold crew cab short bed drw up till 09 year. Someone i know has a 08 black short bed crew cab drw.

I stand corrected. It was a special order option.

GravelyNut
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Ford had a short bed, dually crew cab as early as 2001. I don't know when or if they quit making them.

Not available as of 2009.

Swampy
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey white gardens: do you have a problem with your front tires falling into the wheel tracks of the rear wheels? I noticed this on my old bosses F550.

From what I have picked up about DRW over SRW. You'd go through less tire wear, as loads pulled sit more spread out over the four tires instead of two. In snow you'll get more points of contact to a surface so less spining tire, that can lead to drive line failure. But need a wider plow to cover your track.

This my pratice, probably not the best, but I change out tires in the front (steering) seperately from the rear tires. Helps with cost a little, not a bigger up front bill.

White Gardens
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey white gardens: do you have a problem with your front tires falling into the wheel tracks of the rear wheels? I noticed this on my old bosses F550.

From what I have picked up about DRW over SRW. You'd go through less tire wear, as loads pulled sit more spread out over the four tires instead of two. In snow you'll get more points of contact to a surface so less spining tire, that can lead to drive line failure. But need a wider plow to cover your track.

This my pratice, probably not the best, but I change out tires in the front (steering) seperately from the rear tires. Helps with cost a little, not a bigger up front bill.

I don't necessarily have problems with the front wheels dropping in the wheel tracks, and honestly I haven't paid attention to how the tracks line up. We are expecting 4-6 inches of snow Wednesday night so I might actually look at that. I actually think the front tires go down the middle of my rear wheels because my truck is a cab and chassis, and for the year I think the rear axle is a little narrower than a personal use F-350. There are some quirks to a cab and chassis, and have to clarify when I go get parts for the truck.

Also, my plow is at 8.5 feet so it's plenty wide to clear a path.

Ya, if and when I change the tires I would do them separately. The fronts are standards and the rears are beefier snow tires to help with the fact the truck is only 2wd.

On a truck forum I'm on it's debated on weather the DWR gets better or worse traction in the snow. I think what helps me out is having plenty of weight in the rear and the fact that I have a shorter wheel-base so the rear has less in front of it to push. In slick parking lots I also can't fish-tail the rear at all. Some guys state that the longer wheel base DWRs don't do well in the snow at all.

My next beast is going to be an f-450, short wheelbase, 4wd. Right now my truck gets around good in the snow, but, I'd like to have the 4wd to be a little more aggressive when plowing.

scaglawnsnj
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I think, Go ahead and buy a dually... I have a 01 chevrolet silverado 3500
drw, Can handle the weight I need. plus they look bad ass. rear tires last longer too. Also had two skids of pavers loaded in the bed. barley sagged the suspension. maybe dropped an inch. I'll never go back too srw... buy one...