PDA

View Full Version : which zt lawnmower

jbsimerly
01-02-2010, 04:29 AM
I am going to try to get a couple of resedental yards to mow this year to help make some extra money when i am not working going to use my income tax money to get a good mower. i am going to have a limited budget probably looking in the range of $2500 to $3000 what are your recomandations for me and should i be looking at a zt or a wide area walk behind with a sulky as i live in the mountains of east tn also i am a big guy 350 pounds would a sulky carry me

Richard Martin
01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Extra money eh? McDonalds is still hiring aren't they?

procut
01-02-2010, 10:47 AM
^Exactly, plently of other things you can do to make extra money that would be a lot easier.

MeanGreenGuy
01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
In other words, don't be a "Scrub" and buy a mower for 3k, do a few yards and make 500 bucks, go flip a double cheese burg.

Read around here how much they hate people like you lol.

Good luck.

SchnabelLawnCare
01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow, sorry for the less than warm welcome to LawnSite! Really, there are some very very helpful people here and there are some people who enjoy internet jiving.

Look in the FREE Marketplace forum here on LawnSite and check out a few of the used ZTR's. Don't cheap out for a new Craftsman, go for a used commercial brand.

In a rough order of the best Commercial ZTR brands:

1) Exmark
2) Hustler
3) Scag
4) Bad Boy
5) Bob Cat
6) Ferris

If you pick up any of these, you will be happy.

supercuts
01-02-2010, 07:13 PM
this is kind of a wierd question, your buying used on a limited budget. so, i reccomend searching in your price range for the cleanest, lowest hour commerical machine. all mowers cut grass, its prefference nothing wrong with doing this on the side. even 5 lawns @ $50 a pop, thats $250 a week, $1000 a month, that mower will be paid and then some by the end of the year. who knows, it might roll into a full time job

jbsimerly
01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks to all that gave advise i really thank you and for the others some how i doubt that me getting a couple of my neighbors to let me mow there yard for them is going to hurt anyones business sorry if i somehow insulted you but oh well and the way i look at it if i can find 3 yards a week at $50 a pop that will make me a lot more than mcdonalds

SchnabelLawnCare
01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
thanks to all that gave advise i really thank you and for the others some how i doubt that me getting a couple of my neighbors to let me mow there yard for them is going to hurt anyones business sorry if i somehow insulted you but oh well and the way i look at it if i can find 3 yards a week at $50 a pop that will make me a lot more than mcdonalds

I'd rather be out doing lawn work than flipping burgers anyday!

rcslawncare
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
IF your gonna do it, do it right. People don't like the no insurance, cash only operations that flood this industry. As for Micky D's, id rather push mow yards all day to make the same coin being stuck in one of those places!

doubleedge
01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
A walkbehind mower sulky may damage the lawn with 350 lbs on it, but a larger (48+" or so) dual hydro walkbehind shouldn't have much of a problem pulling you as long as you get off when you encounter moderate to steep hills. Any used commercial riding mower in your price range would probably be unreliable.

Here are some commercial quality brands (almost any of these will do well on your turf):
Toro
Exmark
Kubota
Grasshopper
Hustler
Scag
Bobcat
Ferris
Gravely
Walker
John Deere

DKJLawnCare
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Where are you at in East TN? I am in Caryville/Lake City myself. I too am a big guy @ 325. I may be able to shoot you some pointers. BTW a business license in Campbell County is only $12. You can pick up general liability for a good price too. I have nationwide and mine runs about $300 a year.

jbsimerly
01-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Where are you at in East TN? I am in Caryville/Lake City myself. I too am a big guy @ 325. I may be able to shoot you some pointers. BTW a business license in Campbell County is only $12. You can pick up general liability for a good price too. I have nationwide and mine runs about $300 a year.

i live in carter county right on the tn/nc state line would not care to get business license or the insurance just money so tight right now and i would hate to put that money in to insurance or something and not even be able to get any yards to mow have a couple telling me they would let me but there is no to know for sure till mowing season starts

jbsimerly
01-02-2010, 11:47 PM
what about husqvarna's found some new stuff desently priced not to far from here
or simplicity

sehitchman
01-03-2010, 01:12 AM
I would suggest for a guy your size to do a hard look at the Scag in the marketplace section, it looks like a pretty good value. I'll probably get blasted for the following, but consider this. If the two yards you have are fairly flat, pick up a good used riding tractor mower. They are a dime a dozen and you could get a cheap one with a warranty for well under your budget. if you are really only looking at two or three yards, a traditional rider would be inexpensive and give you a couple of years of service allowing you to save up for something better. if things work out and you are serious about this business, then pick up the zt.

joel29m
01-03-2010, 01:42 AM
go commercial, dont make the mistake i made and finance a homeowners ztr for 2500.00 but if you are just mowing no more than 5 yards, like everyone else said on here try to find a used one. do you plan to do it til youre 75?

ALC-GregH
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Why waste money on a commercial mower if your not going to do it for a living? A cheap riding mower will work fine. Besides, why spend all that money on a mower when you can get a cheap mower and a crap load of beer with it! It's a win win for you.

DKJLawnCare
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Someone posted a Tiger cub in the for sale page for $2,200 I would look into that.

This is my suggestion to you. If you are only going to be doing a few yards a week. I would buy a riding mower, and a push mower. I started out with a Craftsman LT1000 and a 21" Craftsman push mower.

If your business grows you can always sale those and take your proceeds and buy something commercial.

I wouldn't buy a big commercial mower unless your going to be mowing A lot.

ALC-GregH
01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
DKJ, I have a FS90R I want to sell. I used it a half dozen times. It's a very powerful trimmer and honestly too much for what I need. It was kind of a impulse buy for me. I just had to try a 4 mix out. I'll give you a good deal on it if interested. Shipping will be the only drawback as it might cost a good amount to ship. What zip code are you in, I can check the shipping costs?

DKJLawnCare
01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
DKJ, I have a FS90R I want to sell. I used it a half dozen times. It's a very powerful trimmer and honestly too much for what I need. It was kind of a impulse buy for me. I just had to try a 4 mix out. I'll give you a good deal on it if interested. Shipping will be the only drawback as it might cost a good amount to ship. What zip code are you in, I can check the shipping costs?

I'll send you a PM so we don't hi-jack the thread

jbsimerly
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Someone posted a Tiger cub in the for sale page for $2,200 I would look into that.

This is my suggestion to you. If you are only going to be doing a few yards a week. I would buy a riding mower, and a push mower. I started out with a Craftsman LT1000 and a 21" Craftsman push mower.

If your business grows you can always sale those and take your proceeds and buy something commercial.

I wouldn't buy a big commercial mower unless your going to be mowing A lot.

I was leaning toward a residental zt, because I dont think I will have more that 4 or 5 yards this year if I am lucky but hoping maybe word of mouth will help me out next couple years. Then I can upgraid when I have the income to justify the bigger money. If at all possible I would like to get a zt I used one when I was ground keeper at a company I worked fior that was a bushhog comercial mower, really liked it havent been able to find no prices on them anywhere.

jbsimerly
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM

how and when do you start advertising for jobs?

Omran&Turbo
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I really hate it when some ppl thinks, that some lines of businesses are just for them, guys like them forget the Great thing of this Land, please remember that we live in the USA and there is no one on earth has the right to tell you what to do, Go for it Man and trust me you will be a successful guy, because that what you want.
When I started my Bobcat business, guys in the same line of business (not all of them) were thinking that I might loos my ass very quick, but with help from God and hard work I proofed them wrong.
For those who don't know how to write nice words, please keep your advise for your own, and remember if you put your finger in your eye it hurts,so please don't do it for someone else.
God Bless the United States of America. :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

kenw607
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I started out part time cash as do most. u need a walk behind,but it needs to be hydro not belt and i would go with a 2 wheel sulky. also make sure its a floating deck not fixed.get a 48"er. get a grass gobbler,and get a good 26" commercial push mower (toro or lawnboy) just remember if your heart isnt in it it can get old quick. GOOD LUCK

DKJLawnCare
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
how and when do you start advertising for jobs?

For the commercial jobs, I will be talking with property managers now.

But for just the residential like you are wanting, don't start too early people will forget or throw away your ad. I would start advertising around Late Feb. or Early March. That is when I will be passing out my fliers anyway.

JB have you checked out craigslist for any mowers? You can advertise on there too.

I personally don't care for cub cadet but there are some good prices on CL

There is a 48" Z-Force with 127 hrs for $3k

You can get a Brand new 50" RZT for $2,799 plus tax on CL (Resi mower)

There is a used Toro Timecutter Z420 for $1850

There is an eXmark 52" Lazer Z with a lot of hours like 2,500 i think they were asking $2,900

48" Toro Proline Walk behind used as resi mower for $2000

John Deere F620 With 1,465 hrs for $2,500
I would go to CL and go to the Knoxville one and put in "Zero Turn" or "Walk Behind"

The Rookie
01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Bad Boy is coming out with some new ztrs for 2999. I think they are called mk series at tractor supply. Might be a good mower to start out with.

Grass Shark
01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
DO NOT BUY a new non commercial mower. Start out with a good used walk behind for like $1000-$1800 on craigslist ( it will most likely run 2 times longer with 10 times less the problems than a new residential or estate machine). Build your client base and then worry about expensive machines. If you spend less than $5000 on a new zero turn you are most likely buying a disposable piece of garbage, make sure it is COMMERCIAL if you do. I did this, I was there, I had the problems. Yeah the walk behind means more work, but we all gotta start somewhere and that would be a good start.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-17-2010, 03:00 AM
i live in carter county right on the tn/nc state line would not care to get business license or the insurance just money so tight right now and i would hate to put that money in to insurance or something and not even be able to get any yards to mow have a couple telling me they would let me but there is no to know for sure till mowing season starts

Are you kidding me?!? You must be just mowin' for beer money eh? I'm all for free market and starting your own business and working hard to be successful because I've got a hell of a work ethic and the drive to be successful, but if you aren't going to play fair by paying taxes, being insured, and being licensed then I don't like you and I hope the IRS finds you, your mower blows up and you can't afford to repair it, and/or you shoot a rock through someone's window and you can't afford to fix it.

AOD
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
If you're going to buy anything thats non-commercial look at the residential Bad Boys at TSC and other dealers, they are far better than anything else in that price range. Stay away from anything with a Kohler Courage engine, they have had a lot of problems, in gas engines stick with the Command or Kawasaki, anything less is for failure.

I started off back in 2001 with a 260 series Toro lawn tractor mowing 3-4 acre apartment complexes, it kept food on my table and the rent paid for 3 summers, and it's still going strong today.

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Are you kidding me?!? You must be just mowin' for beer money eh? I'm all for free market and starting your own business and working hard to be successful because I've got a hell of a work ethic and the drive to be successful, but if you aren't going to play fair by paying taxes, being insured, and being licensed then I don't like you and I hope the IRS finds you, your mower blows up and you can't afford to repair it, and/or you shoot a rock through someone's window and you can't afford to fix it.

I like it!!!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I like it!!!!

Ha thanks. I can't wait to read his reaction. Guys like that piss me off so much! Thinkin they can just come on in and be a "mowing company" with a resi mower for $10 a lawn and doing 20 lawns to make him self a quick $200 a week for crappy quality work, that $200 can sure buy him a bunch of beer to drown out the sorrows.

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I hear that and it happens to often, then ask the people that are in for real for advice on how to get started. I don't have a problem with the kid or adult truly interested in the industry and you cant succeed without trying, but sometimes it gets real old. I once had a guy that mower with a craftsman lawnmower at a gas station come and try to borrow my Stihl fs90 to touch up some of his yard and he could meet me back at the station at four! I went on with my day and made sure the locks were on the trimmer rack!! lol Just another day!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I hear that and it happens to often, then ask the people that are in for real for advice on how to get started. I don't have a problem with the kid or adult truly interested in the industry and you cant succeed without trying, but sometimes it gets real old. I once had a guy that mower with a craftsman lawnmower at a gas station come and try to borrow my Stihl fs90 to touch up some of his yard and he could meet me back at the station at four! I went on with my day and made sure the locks were on the trimmer rack!! lol Just another day!!

Moments like that make me glad I went with an enclosed so no jacka$$ could steal the stuff I work hard to buy! And like I said before, I'm fine with a guy doin what it takes to make money, but do it fairly and professional.

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
You got it and I cant wait to get a nice enclosed! Talk about some advertising!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah mine is blank right now but that's kuz it's winter and I'm not lettin my pride and joy touch that salt!

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Got any pics of your set up? Id like to see that diesel!!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I'll PM ya because I don't wanna hijack this thread.

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Sounds good!!