PDA

View Full Version : Help me out guys...looking at doing some work at home.

Whitaker24
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Wife wants a patio on the side where the picnic table sits. I want to add some dirt to the side of the house also. Can you all suggest ideas? Im thinking about leaving the edges with grass. Maybe just put a "pad" on the picnic table side, or should I do one on both sides? Give me some ideas photos of maybe some work you all have done and how long project should take? Thanks I will post some photos.

lawnboy852
01-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Do you want a raised patio? If not, I would look at dry laying flagstone pavers. I know around here you can get nice even square stone at a good price. Then dry laying is a fairly simple process from what I understand, just make sure you have everything super compacted to prevent excessive settling.

gunsnroses
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Paver patio would be nice as well and would blend well with the brick. I like flagstone, but much i have seen is low quality in SC.. unless price is no biggie. If I was you I would plan on some tall plants to soften up the corners. Keep in mind your downspouts and any possible irrigation/ drainage before you start, and or add sleeves if you feel you may need something in the future...like lights, fire ring, hot tub etc. You have a blank slate...tons of possibilities. I would go to borders and flip through magazines with the wife.

Junior M
01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Paver patio would be nice as well and would blend well with the brick. I like flagstone, but much i have seen is low quality in SC.. unless price is no biggie. If I was you I would plan on some tall plants to soften up the corners. Keep in mind your downspouts and any possible irrigation/ drainage before you start, and or add sleeves if you feel you may need something in the future...like lights, fire ring, hot tub etc. You have a blank slate...tons of possibilities. I would go to borders and flip through magazines with the wife.
I agree, go ahead and do downspouts to the road while you are doing this. Then go with a paver. I personally dont think flagstone would go all that well with the brick and color of the house.. But I am not a flagstone fan either..

gunsnroses, where are you located in SC?

gunsnroses
01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Beaufort area....only been here for 2.5 yrs. Still not sure what I think of the lowcountry... but the seafood and fishing is good, and I have a job. And you Junior

Whitaker24
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
When you say raised patio you mean the stone that is 3 inches or so thick? I know pavers are flat. I had not thought of the magazine idea.

Junior M
01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
When you say raised patio you mean the stone that is 3 inches or so thick? I know pavers are flat. I had not thought of the magazine idea.
When he says raised patio as in, a level patio..

Instead of digging into the ground, you build a wall and fill in the area to make a level pad for the pavers..

And I am just Northeast of Columbia between columbia and camden Guns..

OrganicsMaine
01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I say use a brick that closely matches the brick on the house. Leave a 3' bed along the foundation for nice plantings....i would do perennials or ornamental grass....in fact, use an ornamental grass around the inside of the patio, but use the same one massed in there. Tie it in to the steps as well with a nice landing. Do a nice planting in front of the deck as well to finish the space off.

My $.02.

OrganicsMaine
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
No pics right now, but if you have help in doing this, you could probably get the patio done in 2 days. The plantings should only take another 1/2 day with prep work and mulching. This is assuming you and 2 workers are doing the job. With design work, just remember KISS...keep it simple stupid. Don't use too many different plants, and use the same type of bricks to keep the overall flow. Try Pine Hall bricks....I believe they are out of NC. Can't help too much with plants, you are in a totally different zone than me!

Smallaxe
01-06-2010, 05:36 AM
I would raise the patio to the level of the extended porch. Stepping out unto the patio shouldn't mean going down steps to walk around on stone instead of grass. At my age those steps take the liesure out of the patio. :)

Whitaker24
02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Photos here.

Whitaker24
02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
WOuld it be possible if we added like a step down porch from exiting porch? take the white rails down step a new porch down on the one side an add steps to it also? or maybe not even stepping it down come right off existing deck and use the railing that is taken down as the rails for the new deck?

Schuley
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Here's the stamped concrete I put in at my place.....I love it. Not sure that you'd have the heaving problems from frost, but this baby stays flat, and doens't have cracks for weeds to grow up in... just a thought for ya

Whitaker24
02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
What about this type of deck to place where the picnic table is in original thread photos? Wife doesnt want a high porch since there wont be brick around it, you will be able to see high grass weeds ect. How hard would this be to build? Could I do it myself? Im no pro but I like projects? Thanks for any help.

lawnboy852
02-25-2010, 09:54 PM
If your fairly inclined to work with wood, have the ability to do so accurately, and the time, go for it! Especially with things like pre-cast cement footings, it is an easier job than most people might think. Look around online and in some books, http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2buildadeck first result when I googled how to build a deck, seems feasible to me

Whitaker24
02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Area is 17ft long and 12ft deep. if we fill it all in which likely wont happen

Whitaker24
03-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Questions: Got a quote for a 5ftx39ft addition price was $2700. 2nd guy came to look an said just got 8x39 instead of having to waste lumber, which i understand. It was our idea to go 5 ft for cost reasons. 1st quote included the deck, moving existing railing out to end of the porch and existing steps an only having to add one piece of vinyl railing.

How would they tie the new porch into the existing and to the side of the house? but up a 2x10 to existing deck?

Whitaker24
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Here are the after photos guys.. The before photos are at top of the thread

betmr
04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Now if it were me, I would add White pvc fascia & picture framed, white lattice, to finish off the bottom, and an access for storage underneath.

That's nice, just what I was thinking. Would like to see a front on view.

streetscrapin16
04-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I would do what betmr said also. Then you would have a good place for storage. Looks good though.

Whitaker24
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I agree with you both. Just wanted to get the big part done first. However what is pvc fasia picture framed, white lattice, to finish off the bottom, and an access for storage underneath.? Lattice come in colors? Can you show me a photo of what you mean by picture framed lattice?

surely will use it for storage, but not sure if I wanted have it brick up with access door or not.

White pvc fascia & picture framed, white lattice, to finish off the bottom, and an access for storage underneath.

Whitaker24
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
From this side?

streetscrapin16
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I think he means something like this with a small door on it.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
04-09-2010, 12:19 AM
buy some plastic lattice....there stronger those woods ones,they also come in white

By Us Company
04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Threw something together from the original post. Still practicing on this new software.

betmr
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
There are White Fascia boards that will match your railings. then there is white plastic lattice, then they can make like equal size picture frames around the lattice (Tell your builder, he should know what I mean), with 1x4 white pvc boards. And put an access door in it (I would suggest on the side, as to not interrupt the effect in front), to get underneath.

I think that would really finish that off. That front view is awesome. That gives you some really nice outdoor space without running up and down the stairs.

Nice job to, my compliments to you builder.