PDA

View Full Version : landscape maintance insurance.

Ben's Landscape
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I am looking around at insurance for this year. I went online and had a hard time finding a company that covers landscaping. I have heard about Contractors insurance that covers everything liability for plowing etc?? What companies do you use. What is a ball park figure??

Thanks I was getting all confused with LLC, Insurance etc.?? Maybe you can put this in simplier terms. Thanks a lot.

zturncutter
01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Bearwise landscapers insurance. We currently use Nationwide, but I think this company could better explain the insurance coverage.

Ben's Landscape
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks I will check them out.

santafe
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a $1,000,000/$2,000,000 policy from american family for less than $400/yr.

Ben's Landscape
01-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks Santafe!! Is that like the going price??

santafe
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
thats just what i am paying. there are others on here that could tell you if that is normal or not. just small potatoes here.

BCofDayton
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
American Family here as well

Afabiano
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
We use grange mutual through an agent. They insure us for lawn care and snow plowing liability and also includes commercial auto insurance. 3-4K a year.

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 01:59 AM
we use state farm for all of our insurance except workman’s comp. we use a company called star for workmans comp…don’t know anything about them but state farm hooked us up with them. been with star insurance for workmans comp for 3 years and havnt had any problems out of them yet

1 million is the normal and most commercial properties are ok with that amount. Depending on what commercial properties you bid on you may need 2 million. That is what we have.

Contractor insurance is what you are going to need but it does not cover snow plowing. You will need to change you vehicle insurance to…I think its called utility insurance but not positive? Ask who ever you have auto insurance threw right now and they will tell you. Don’t know why contractor insurance doesn’t cover snow plowing but state farm told me that part relies on auto insurance.

buffalonick
01-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Do all of these prices that are posted for liability include auto insurance of is that extra? And can you keep your same auto insurance?

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 04:05 AM
read my last post....last paragraph

Afabiano
01-03-2010, 08:28 AM
It would behoove you to cancel your regular auto policy and change to a commercial auto policy. This will cover your vehicle and plow from damages while working. The Commercial Liability will cover other peoples property. Together they are what you need! The commercial auto insurance is about two thirds of the entire cost. Just a note: Make sure you check drivers records before hiring. Grange Mutual will drop you without notice (the entire policy) if you have someone that is a risk - which could be a ticket or two!

Kustom Kutz
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I am looking around at insurance for this year. I went online and had a hard time finding a company that covers landscaping. I have heard about Contractors insurance that covers everything liability for plowing etc?? What companies do you use. What is a ball park figure??

Thanks I was getting all confused with LLC, Insurance etc.?? Maybe you can put this in simplier terms. Thanks a lot.

I use UPAC to carry my liabiltiy insurance and I love it. I have been blessed to never have to use it. Min was like $300 down and $85 for $1million, but I also cut trees which is expensive on liability. The base the price on how long you have been in business and how may claims you've had. Get it and keep it. If you run into a Bentley with a lawnmower it will probably put you out of business. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but it is better to be safe. ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE EMPOYEES!

Kustom Kutz
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
You will probably want a commercial policy bc it will save you money on multi vehicle discount, but for now you can use your regular auto insurance. If you pull up to your insurance company in a truck with lettering they will make you get a commercial policy... I learned the hard way.

BCofDayton
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Most larger reputable companies won't do an umbrella without having the auto first. Some will even require a certain amount on the auto before they'll let you write the umbrella. Bottom line they are separate and you don't have to have comp and collision for the umbrella, just liability. Also remember to find out about deductibles, on a lot of commercial auto policies you have deductibles on liability!

Afabiano
01-03-2010, 12:50 PM
You will probably want a commercial policy bc it will save you money on multi vehicle discount, but for now you can use your regular auto insurance. If you pull up to your insurance company in a truck with lettering they will make you get a commercial policy... I learned the hard way.

And when you get into an accident, you better remove all that lettering before the adjuster or police make a report... There is a reason why they make you get a commercial policy, because if you crash you may not be covered.

BCofDayton
01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Great Point!!

BearWise Landscapers
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Bearwise landscapers insurance. We currently use Nationwide, but I think this company could better explain the insurance coverage.

Zturncutter, thanks for the recommendation.

Ben's Landscape,

The prices and coverages will be different in Rhode Island than other states, but they should hopefully be similar. Your plowing exposure can be covered under the same general liability insurance policy that other landscapers use, but it is important to make sure the insurance carriers are aware that you plow snow and that it is rated accurately on the policy if they apply a different rate to it. You must accurately disclose all of your operations to insurance carriers, because if it was not disclosed, then claims can be denied and in states like Florida, it is actually a 3rd degree felony to mislead and insurance carrier.

There are 4 insurance policies that I recommend that every landscaping business consider: (1) General Liability, (2) Commercial Auto, (3)Equipment Floater, (4) Workersí Compensation. You will not need workers comp if you donít have employees and you may not need equipment floater insurance if you do not own very valuable equipment and simply want to retain those losses.

Here are a couple of articles I wrote about these recommended insurance policies:

Landscaping businesses with no employees (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2008/new-landscaper/)
Landscaping businesses with 2 employees (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2009/small-landscaper/)

Feel free to ask me as many detailed questions as you may have regarding insurance for your business. You may also want to check out this article about the reasons to purchase insurance (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2009/purpose-of-purchasing-insurance-policies/). The article gets a little dry, but it has some good information.

I wish you the best in your business.

mike174
01-06-2010, 03:01 AM
In NJ I use Selective Insurance. $1,000,000 general liability landscaping insurance runs me $860 a year. Lawn maintenance insurance is cheaper, but it only covers mowing. Plowing is an additional coverage ($).

dvaughn10
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Kustom Kutz not 100% sure on this but UPAC is not an insurance company but rather a premium financing company. I used to be in the insurance business and that is who we used to finance our clients premium. You might want to check your policy to find the insurance carrier.

Again I am not 100% sure.

Kustom Kutz
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
You're right its actually Burlinton. My fiance takes care of all of this stuff for me.