PDA

View Full Version : I'am SOL on finding a truck right now d*mn

Gravel Rat
01-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Well what a pain in the rectus finding a 4x4 F-550. A new 2010 reg cab 2010 6.4 Power automatic cab and chassis 84 inch cab axle 60 grand :dizzy:

The one dealer has some 09s for 56,000 they are XLTs.

Ya I don't think so holy crap do they thing a cab and chassis truck worth gold.

Looked over the ads in Alberta a few trucks out there but I hate to buy anything sight unseen.

I know where I can get a 07 F550 2wd XLT fully loaded with 200kms on it. Been sitting on the dealers lot for a long time not good for a 6.0 but a guy could get it at a reasonable price.

Ohwell have to keep looking. A 4wheeldrive 550 is pretty rare. I did find a 2003 F-550 4x4 XL with 7.3 but its a automatic I don't really want a 4R100 transmission. The truck is a real plain XL.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 01:52 AM
the 4R100s were iffy..

The dam case on them was HUGE though! :dizzy:

stuvecorp
01-03-2010, 01:59 AM
I know of a 07 550 4x4 XLT but it has 97,000 on it for $26,000. It looks nice.

mudmaker
01-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I didn't think any of the 6.0s had 4R100's

talus
01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
the 4R100s were iffy..

The dam case on them was HUGE though! :dizzy:

When I had my 97 I picked up my Suncoast tranny from the freight place. It was in the back of my truck and we were going away for the weekend. What did I do? Gave it the 34 belly option and carried it myself into the house. Devil Woman wasn't all that thrilled and called me a freak. Yeah I'll leave a 5k transmission outside for the takin.

What do you get when you cross GPS with PMS?

A crazy beatch that can find you.:laugh:

mudmaker
01-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Well what a pain in the rectus finding a 4x4 F-550. A new 2010 reg cab 2010 6.4 Power automatic cab and chassis 84 inch cab axle 60 grand :dizzy:

I think your dealer is adding extra onto the sticker! Go to the ford commercial website and get an accurate msrp. You should be able to get for 6-7k less if a dealer is willing to work with a guy. If they don't find one that will.

Junior M
01-03-2010, 02:34 AM
When I had my 97 I picked up my Suncoast tranny from the freight place. It was in the back of my truck and we were going away for the weekend. What did I do? Gave it the 34 belly option and carried it myself into the house. Devil Woman wasn't all that thrilled and called me a freak. Yeah I'll leave a 5k transmission outside for the takin.

What do you get when you cross GPS with PMS?

A crazy beatch that can find you.:laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

Hook me up with a horse and I'll make sure she ignores that last comment..

YellowDogSVC
01-03-2010, 02:51 AM
I'll sell you an '08 f350 6.4L 4x4 crew cab drw for a good price and low miles.

talus
01-03-2010, 03:28 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

Hook me up with a horse and I'll make sure she ignores that last comment..

I told you before Junior. You can have both the horses and the trailer. Drive up here with the D max hook up load up and be on your way. As far as I know they ran away and somebody stole the trailer.:laugh:

Junior M
01-03-2010, 03:34 AM
I told you before Junior. You can have both the horses and the trailer. Drive up here with the D max hook up load up and be on your way. As far as I know they ran away and somebody stole the trailer.:laugh:
I am on my way! Thumbs Up

btw, its a 6.0, not a Dmax..

Oh yeah and GR, after this little stunt of the horses "running away" I know where I can get you a crew cab long 250 or 350SRW, XLT, in AWESOME condition for cheap!

talus
01-03-2010, 04:27 AM
That would be a 350 cc longbed Junior and we will load up the bed with boulders so GR can sell them up in BC for big bucks. Plenty o rock up here for free. You load, you haul, me happy. Get these things out of my yard.:laugh:

Junior M
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
That would be a 350 cc longbed Junior and we will load up the bed with boulders so GR can sell them up in BC for big bucks. Plenty o rock up here for free. You load, you haul, me happy. Get these things out of my yard.:laugh:
Thats what I thought. Couldnt remember from the daily drivers thread to well though..

and I think GR is the last person that needs rock? ;)

but either way GR, I know where you can get a 350 CC LB for REAL CHEAP!

Shadetree Ltd
01-03-2010, 12:33 PM
GR,

I have a diesel performance transmission guy that will make that 7.3 a great truck. Approx $4000 to completely rebuild it bulletproof. 2 years unlimited K warranty and doesn't care if you sled pull, drag race or snow plow :)

AWJ Services
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM

The one dealer has some 09s for 56,000 they are XLTs.

Ya I don't think so holy crap do they thing a cab and chassis truck worth gold.

Looked over the ads in Alberta a few trucks out there but I hate to buy anything sight unseen.

I know where I can get a 07 F550 2wd XLT fully loaded with 200kms on it. Been sitting on the dealers lot for a long time not good for a 6.0 but a guy could get it at a reasonable price.

Ohwell have to keep looking. A 4wheeldrive 550 is pretty rare. I did find a 2003 F-550 4x4 XL with 7.3 but its a automatic I don't really want a 4R100 transmission. The truck is a real plain XL.

The 03 trans has a multi disc convertor and is a good unit.
If you swap the convertor for a Billet Multi disc it will never give you any trouble.
I would buy the 7.3 before I bought anything else and no way would I have a stick.

Shadetree Ltd
01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
The 03 trans has a multi disc convertor and is a good unit.
If you swap the convertor for a Billet Multi disc it will never give you any trouble.
I would buy the 7.3 before I bought anything else and no way would I have a stick.

I am no transmission mechanic by any means, but I had a Ford factory crate transmission (0 miles, in original ford shipping case) taken to this guy and he added three pages worth of upgraded parts. He helped design the original 4R100 performance HD transmission that BD Diesel sells. The work he put into it was hard to imagine for a brand new tranny. The truck is a whole new animal.
GR, in todays Province classifieds at Zeemac there is a 2004 6.0, auto F550 c+c 4X4 w/ 12?,000 km for under $20K

Gravel Rat
01-04-2010, 01:41 AM
I'am looking but not in a hurry. I only owned 1 automatic truck in 17 years of driving. Started driving standards when I was 16 never stopped. The automatic truck I had I swapped in a 4spd.

The thing I don't like about the pre 05 F-450 550 4x4s is the front brakes I have mentioned it before. A mechanic I know has a 04 F-550 4x4 service truck. His front brake rotors are litterally blue from the heat. The truck has F350 front brakes on a 17,000lb gvw truck. The 05-10 trucks have bigger rotors and bigger brakes less problems with brake fade.

I'am also interested in getting a truck with the coil sprung suspension is supposidly works well and rides good. The older 99-04 trucks with the leaf springs ride pretty rough you get a 19.5 tire that wants to thump you feel it. The leaf springs on the front axle rattle the trucks apart. You hit a small pot hole and it hits hard. I read on tow411 that the older F-450-550 trucks viberated enough it would make a female passengers want to go pee.

I do own a 2003 6.0 that is good but I may have luck with it. The 05 and newer is supposed to be more "reliable".

Have to see what I can find. I think I do need to find a F-550 I'am out of gvw with the F-450. My tare weight is 9800lbs the gvw is 15,000lbs it leaves me with 5200lbs or or less "legal" payload. A F-550 will weigh maybe 10,000lbs will give me a 7500lb "legal" payload.

Gravel Rat
01-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Googled 4R100 and it wasn't good news I think I will not want a truck with one if I need to spend big money to have it made reliable. That transmission had lots of troubles. Maybe that is why this 2003 F-550 4x4 is still forsale people know the transmission is junk. Another one of my mechanic friends says 4 grand for a rebuilt one.

Shadetree Ltd
01-04-2010, 05:29 AM
No comparison, I would take the 7.3 and beef up the tranny over a 6.0 period any day. I own one 7.3 and two 6.0's

AWJ Services
01-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Googled 4R100 and it wasn't good news I think I will not want a truck with one if I need to spend big money to have it made reliable. That transmission had lots of troubles. Maybe that is why this 2003 F-550 4x4 is still forsale people know the transmission is junk. Another one of my mechanic friends says 4 grand for a rebuilt one.

4r100 is just a fancy name for an e40d which has been in use since the eighties.
The number one cause of failure is the convertor. It slips and builds heat which is a killer for any transmission. When they came out with the 5 speed automatics they just turned overdrive on with second gear to geat the additional gear. No magic. Same trans just different valve body.

AWJ Services
01-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I am no transmission mechanic by any means, but I had a Ford factory crate transmission (0 miles, in original ford shipping case) taken to this guy and he added three pages worth of upgraded parts. He helped design the original 4R100 performance HD transmission that BD Diesel sells. The work he put into it was hard to imagine for a brand new tranny. The truck is a whole new animal.
GR, in todays Province classifieds at Zeemac there is a 2004 6.0, auto F550 c+c 4X4 w/ 12?,000 km for under $20K

Thats how you make money is by selling parts.
Sure if you want to drag race your truck you may need all of them but if you just update the trans to 4r100 specs and upgrade a few things that is all you need. I spent 500 bucks on my Billiet convertor and 400 dollars in parts.
The truck has over 100 k on this trans dragging 24-25k pounds with 3.73 gears everday.
Ford crate transmissions are rebuilt units not new and they do a marginal job at best.

curtisfarmer
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Really high prices out there I guess. Check out our local truck dealer, inventory is low now, but prices have always been right. I bought a 6.4 08 450 dump for $33.7!! I thought that was good. Knock about $4-5K off the listed prices on this site and that is the price. You can get a 6.4 550 dump or flat bed for$38-39K which I think is amazing. The 2010 450 crew cab is stupid crazy like $60K.

curtisfarmer
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
OK, I am not the best at posting links......Hillsborough Ford

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/dealers/Hillsboro-Ford--Sales-Department,-(800)-664-7504/851310

Are these prices seen anywhere else out there?

mudmaker
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM

I have 200k on my 4R100 without any major issues. Get a John Woods or BTS if you need a rebuild, at least when you are spending 4k you know you never need to do it again!

tnmtn
01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
GM dealers have some great deals on their models. great financing and warranties as well. if you could save enough going that route you could find a beater for daily driving and save money on gas there. you definitly won't have to worry about the transmission. lol. but i understand to some switching brands is like wearing someone elses dentures. just not right.
good luck,

DUSTYCEDAR
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
G.R. just go get a bailout from your great leaders and buy buy buy
oh wait you fly the wrong flag:canadaflag:
i will be going back to walking at the cost of new iron :usflag:

Gravel Rat
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
The reason why I run Fords is l like them then two I can get them fixed here the Ford dealer will work on 450-750 the GM dealer will not work on 4500-5500 or sell you one. The Dodge dealer won't sell you a 4500-5500 or work on them.

If I bought a GM 4500-5500 it would be a 8-9 hour day to take the truck to the nearest commercial truck dealer to have the truck fixed. The Ford dealer is 30 mins away.

If I do want to haul landscape supplies like sand and gravel my current F-450 I'am 1500lbs over weight hauling 2.5 yards of gravel.

My current F-450 doesn't haul the loads my previous F-Superduty trucks because the current F-450 weighs 1000lbs more. The F-Superduty trucks had a 15,000lb gvw but only weighed 8600lbs empty that gave you a 6400lb payload the legal payload on my current truck is 5000lbs.

Put 6000lbs on my current truck and you feel it kinda dispointing but like I said that extra 1000lbs in curb weight effects things.

If I had a F-550 curb weight wouldn't be much more but I could carry 3 ton legally.

The reason why I stick with these smaller trucks is I can put my tools on the truck and go do clearing jobs and haul the brush to the landfill. I also haul lumber or cut firewood.

There is very little to no work using a bigger truck.

I'am also reconsidering do I need to spend a extra 10 grand to have 4wheeldrive ?

I would like to get a newer truck my current 03 is 6.5 years old already it was only 3 years old when I bought it. Warranty is long gone the 6.0 has been good but if I need injectors or head gaskets its out of my pocket.

The truck only has 108,000kms (67,000 miles) and it looks good and runs good but not enough payload.

Should have bought a 550 back in 06 but I thought the 450 would be good enough. Built a dump deck and then it gained weight the payload dropped. I was always thinking about the extra weight when I built my dumping flatdeck.

stuvecorp
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
GM dealers have some great deals on their models. great financing and warranties as well. if you could save enough going that route you could find a beater for daily driving and save money on gas there. you definitly won't have to worry about the transmission. lol. but i understand to some switching brands is like wearing someone elses dentures. just not right.
good luck,

I agree with you on having a beater or daily driver instead of putting useless miles on a truck. It is too bad that GM killed the Kodiak/Topkick line, with some tweaks it could have been better.

How many miles are on your truck GR? I would still like to see you get a Dingo or mini x to further your capabilities, just something to think about.

Gravel Rat
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't drive unpaid mileage every day my truck takes me to work. Only 1 hour a day do I drive my truck to work it keeps things from going bad from sitting. When I have work for the truck it gets used but I'am not driving around with it.

My regular job starts at 5:30am so I'am on the road at 4:55am and this is a rural area. In the winter it can be miserable you need a good vehical. A small car can be deadly ride in the winter. Hit a patch of black ice at 5am its dark nobody else on the road and you spin out and crash the car usually is a write off. When it snows it is even worse.

Another road obstacle is 1000-1200lb Elk come around a blind corner and one or two is standing in the middle of the road. Its dark you can't see them if its foggy its worse all you see is a shadow. Hope you stop in time hit one of them in a truck like mine it would take off the front fenders hood and smash the radiator. I have already hit a 500lb baby and lucky it only busted my grille and a small dent in the hood.

There are mornings that it is either raining heavily or really misserable you can't see the road or any of the traffic lines on the road. Its one of those things you have to drive from memory. One winter had a bad wind storm coming around a corner and a 50 foot fir tree blew over the road. Lucky I stopped in time.

I'am thinking about a machine but the problem is I can only get a personal bank loan. The loans manager would look at me funny why I'am I buying a piece of machinery. They were a little suspicious why I was buying a F-450.

A personal loan and a business loan is something they don't fool around on. I'am going to see what happens when I ask for another loan if I buy a newer truck. If I didn't have a steady job no way I would get a loan. Getting a loan from a bank around here is tough. They don't lend money out easily you have to meet or exceed their regulations or no way.

My brother makes more than I do being self-employeed more like 30 grand more than I do. He can't get a loan he is self-employeed the bank says no way. I have a steady gov't job the bank says yes.

stuvecorp
01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not saying buy a Yugo, more like a 4x4 Ranger or something? We picked up a '99 F250 XL for less than $3,000, should have gotten a truck like this years ago. I know it isn't sexy but it's cheap transportation.

Gravel Rat
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I put 1000 kilometers (624 miles) a month on my truck if I'am working I may put 1500kms (930 miles). In one month I burn about 52 gallons of diesel a month so about 200-300 dollars a month. Insurance on my F-450 is 120 a month.

If I don't have to drive I don't it is a waste of fuel any thing I need to do is close. The grocery store-bars or restaurants all 10 mins away by car.

My steady job is 50kms 31 miles round trip away. Any jobs I do for my own are about the same mileage.

stuvecorp
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Banks suck when it comes to loans, I know they would not give me anything but the manufactures sure don't have a problem.:p I have talked to different banks in town and it is a joke what their rates and terms are, I get that construction is risky but come on.

tnmtn
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
unfortunately for me i drive more when i'm not working than when i am. beating the bushes in person and going out and shaking hands helps me get more work. another thing you might look into is internet banking or credit unions. the internet has made it a small world. proof is i am talking with you as well as the guys from texas, new england and all over. if your banks are hard to deal with drive a couple hours and find a better one to work with. when wrking overseas i was able to handle all banking with a local bank here, i'm sure there is a better one somewhere in the same province.
good luck,

fool32696
01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1536002529.html

Gravel Rat
01-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Would a automatic truck help with the traction ?

I found a 2007 F-550 2wd 19,000lb gvw with 26,000kms (16,000 miles) ya its a 2wd but its a nice clean truck.

I have a 6spd manual in my F-450 and you can't controll the power. Because the way the 6.0 is set up you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch. When the power hits the ground the tires are spinning.

The clutch is either in or out no inbetween so when your trying to creep forward or trying to not spin the tires it is next to impossible.

When I got stuck down the road with the firewood I had to ride the clutch get the rpms up and drop the clutch and the d*mn engine was on the verge of stalling.

Never driven a truck with a torqshift are they any good ?

treadlite
01-06-2010, 02:17 AM
GR there's several F550s listed in the Alberta auto trader online in the low $30k range....auto, 4x4 everything you need..... it's less than a days drive away....pack a lunch, (or get your mom to pack you one) and go have a look...