PDA

View Full Version : What to do about my insurance?

buffalonick
01-03-2010, 03:52 AM
I wanna start looking for insurance soon and have a big dilemma, my current auto insurance is through allstate and and i and my grandmother are under the same insurance policy and she is the main driver and i am the secondary....may sound crazy but she is 89 and has great credit, and it has been that way since i was 16, i am now 21, it is just less expensive that way she gets great discounts and we havent had a claim that they paid on since i was 18. Havent had a ticket in over 2 years.

My question is, is there a way to go under a seperate insurance plan that doesnt cover my truck? That way i can keep the great auto rate and get my own insurance rate? I dont know how high my business insurance will be currently my premiums on auto are around $1000 a year, do most of your guys's insurance include auto on it? along with that 1 million liability?

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 04:02 AM
I don’t have an explanation for all your questions however I will tell you that if you’re in business you need to get off her insurance. If something were to happen you grandmother could be held liable.

Here is an example.

My cousin owns a crane service. He was running his office out of his mother’s house. He has full insurance for his business. He was putting an ac unit on a building and accidentally knocked one of the workers off the building.

In the law suit they went after my cousin’s mother. She was in no way shape nor form involved with my cousin’s business but because he ran an office out of her house she was involved in the law suit.

Just imagine if your doing business in a vehicle that is covered under your grandmother’s insurance and something happens.

Personal life and business are 2 completely different things. Being in business means you are a professional and because of that the penalties are much worse.

buffalonick
01-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Yea thats what i was thinking, I suppose the best thing is for me to go to my allstate agent and see what they have to offer me.

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 04:14 AM
By the way….business insurance does not cover you vehicle. Call you insurance company and ask about utility insurance

buffalonick
01-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Actually i dont think i can get her off my auto insurance, my truck is financed and she is on the loan and the registration too cuz of this. Is it possible to get liability insurance for the business on my own and still be covered?

M&B LAWN CARE
01-03-2010, 10:11 AM
my truck insurance is in with my business insurance i pay 1264.00 a year for everything 2mil coverage on the business and 1mil on my auto. so you can get your truck covered under your business insurance.

ED'S LAWNCARE
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
My truck ins and my bus ins are on two seperate policies with two different agencies.

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
my truck insurance is in with my business insurance i pay 1264.00 a year for everything 2mil coverage on the business and 1mil on my auto. so you can get your truck covered under your business insurance.

You better call your agent on that one. This only means you are covered while driving but you are not covered if you are using your truck for work…hard to explain but like snow plowing…nope….using truck to pull bushes out of the ground…nope…..you need utility insurance that is separate from business insurance

Atleast this is how my agent explained it to me???? maybe im the one being screwed lol

M&B LAWN CARE
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
i will definetly check on that i might be getting screwed..lol thanks for the advice.. they told me that is was just like normal insurace but for commercial.

BearWise Landscapers
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Here is a brief article from another insurance agent in our office that discusses the need for a commercial auto insurance policy rather than a personal insurance policy (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2008/personal-vs-commercial-auto/).

Good luck with your business and let us know what premium rates you receive on your new policy.

ajgarber70
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
i will tell you right now you or anybody should not have allstate they are rip offs you can ask any lawyer that.............they do not want to pay a dime to anyone if you ever come down that road....i'm currently in a law suit against them....just google them and you might change you mind about having them...