PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that do postcards?

buffalonick
01-03-2010, 03:06 AM
I am looking into postcards, but do most of you hand them out by hand or actually send them in the mail? And if you send them in the mail how do you get all the names and addresses?

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Just get your post cards and take them to the post office. Tell them what area code you want them passed out in. this is pretty expensive though…something like 40 cents per card (could be wrong on price but it is close)

silverado212
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I had them printed up, then drove around to areas I wanted to get into. Looked for houses that were being serviced (you know they are willing to pay for service) or houses that I would want to mow. Wrote down street names and addresses. Then looked them up on county auditors website to get zip codes and any other info. Didn't put names just RESIDENT and address. Made labels on my PC. Then took them to the PO and had them sent.

M&B LAWN CARE
01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
and how was the return on that? did you put your address and did you put them in envelops or not?

LawnsRUsInc.
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
We had labels made up and used our printers bulk mail stamp on it. We also put prices on them for fertilizing and put them in the doors of each house worked great for me. Talk to our printing guy and he will walk you threw it and he is very reasonable $150 for 4x6 post cards full color Jason @ blue vista printing 262-719-8081 tell him i reffered you and he will throw in free business cards for both you and me :)

bulldogg
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
For fall cleanup I mailed out a bunch of postcards but for the upcoming season I have more postcards printed up and I am using a church group to target several high end areas and I am paying them by the hour. They are using it as a fund raiser. It will cost me a fraction to pay them church group as it did fo the postage.

silverado212
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
My return address was on them from printer. Mailed them just like a postcard your mom would send ya from outta state. Return was zero. Sucked because printing and stamps weren't exactly cheap.

hammanservicesllc
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I am considering mailing postcards but I am afraid of spending $300-$500 for nothing. Although, I keep telling myself if I pick up 1-3 accounts it will be worth it. I was worried about addresses until I went to my local Board of Elections webite. From there I can pull the names and address of every registered voter in the county. Even sort through them by precinct, wards, townships, etc. all in an excel spreadsheet.

bulldogg
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Why not just pick certain areas and walk door to door? Yiu get to excersise and if you are able to talk face to face you may be able to sign them up on the spot or provide estimates. I wasted a lot of money on postage last year and I do not think that will happen again.

BearWise Landscapers
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
We mail our postcards. I use them for general branding purposes though and direct the people that are interested to our website for more information. You should not expect a good response rate, but it does help over time.

tinman
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Direct mail is costly & time consuming if you get your own addresses. Buying a list is easier but more costs. I'd hand deliver myself.

JAMEYBAXTER
01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
consult a reputable direct mailing company in your area.

Take the pieces to them and they can get the list and ensure that you get the lowest postage prices possible by processing them in proper postal sort order and drop them in the correct postal drop location.

Mailing postcards in bulk quantities should be relatively inexpensive in terms of the postage that you would pay if you were to walk in to the usps and buy stamps.

bulldogg
01-06-2010, 07:09 AM
consult a reputable direct mailing company in your area.

Take the pieces to them and they can get the list and ensure that you get the lowest postage prices possible by processing them in proper postal sort order and drop them in the correct postal drop location.

Mailing postcards in bulk quantities should be relatively inexpensive in terms of the postage that you would pay if you were to walk in to the usps and buy stamps.

I am doing 8000 postcards this spring. 8000 x .44 ceent. You do the math. !!! It is cheaper to hire a dozen people for several days to walk the areas and pass them out.

JAMEYBAXTER
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I am doing 8000 postcards this spring. 8000 x .44 ceent. You do the math. !!! It is cheaper to hire a dozen people for several days to walk the areas and pass them out.

2 things- first one is that a true postcard for postcard rates is maximum 4.25"X6". Above that you get into flats and oversizes. Those must be sent with postage that starts at 1st Class, but it goes down.

Second - if you pay anything close to going rate for 1st class for 8000, then you are getting ripped off, and probably because of your own ignorance of how to get the proper bulk rates.

8000 pieces is substantial in a market. I am assuming many of these will be in the same neighborhoods.

Did you buy a list? NEVER buy a list that is not already in presort order if you are doing a large mailing!

I could go on, but I have things I need to do.

Just for grins, call a local mailhouse. Or go to the usps website for business direct mail. Wealth of knowledge there.

I got all of mine working for a conusulting firm where I lirerally mailed hundreds of millions of pieces of direct mail every year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Allen Landscape Company
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
There are some websites that have listings of recently sold homes for a zip code city, etc. The most important thing if marketing budget is an issue is to target your potential audience. Its kind of like pre qualifying them. You can see recently sold homes, what they paid for it etc. If you are in an area that draws in new people moving from out of town, they are just as likely to call you as the yellow pages. With a few clicks i can generate a list of addresses from whatever house price range i would like. i have found for me at least that the very high home prices seem to not respond like the 300-700 k ones do(this is home prices in the south)

sweetland
01-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Personally i just grab a couple of friends and drive to the areas which i am targeting so this way i can see who i want to give one too and maybe get a chance to talk with them
Posted via Mobile Device

Freedom Lawn Service
01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.quantumdigital.com/ - I have used this to get names, you can get names by subdivision if you spend the time! Only pay for what you want, if you want 100 names in a certain area thats what you get!

Slcareco
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
My return address was on them from printer. Mailed them just like a postcard your mom would send ya from outta state. Return was zero. Sucked because printing and stamps weren't exactly cheap.

Exact same senerio happened to me!!