PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay organized?

MOWITALL
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I keep a day planner and an organizer with price sheets, extra invoices, etc. Does anyone use computer to schedule appointments? I service my accounts on a 10 day basis, every week and every other week so it can get a little convoluted.

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
You need to get rid of the every 10 day crap….you are going to end up ticking off your regular customers because you wont be able to keep a regular schedule….it simply isn’t worth it….your hurting yourself and you regular customers all because some people out there don’t want to pay for weekly or bi-weekly.

Yes…you are going to ether have to get a computer or lots of daily sheets.

Bob_n_weave
01-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Dump the 10 day schedule.

Jason Rose
01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
In the OP's defence, I know that some commercial properties, usually rentals and apartments, they dictate a 10 day mowing schedule. If you want the work you have to conform. The best option, as I do, is just avoid them. But you have to make money where you can sometimes...

I just use the simple paper schedule. All my "route" is listed by day and in order on one page (kinda cramped, but I can see the whole week at once). Just check off the ones I've done each day and make note of extra work preformed or if they were skipped that week (like for the EOW accounts). It works for me...

10 day stuff is impossible to do exactly every 10 days, and most guys will rotate between say monday one week and then thursday the following cut, then back to monday. yes, that's 10 and then 11, but it allows you to not be there more than they want to be billed for and keeps you on somewhat of a schedule.

SangerLawn
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Yea…I have been invited to put in bids on properties that go every 10 days. I put in bids at the price of 1 and a half mowings every 10 days. They always look at me like I am nuts. There is no way I am going to put extra wear and tear on the equipment, work twice as hard, disrespect my regular customers, and screw up my schedules just some these places can save some extra money.

But…..thats just me….you guys work harder for less money if you want too

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree. I dont even want bi weekly. Unless they want to pay for all that extra time it aint worth it. If they did want to pay then they would'nt be asking in the first place. I think they make you look bad. No one stops to ask if they want cheap service, they just asume you provide crap

thewall
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Get the wife to do it men can't get organized,i go out get the work tell her how long it going to take and she finds a space in the dairy,she sorts out all the money,pays accounts and files everything its worked for 16yrs.so if it ain't broke don't fix it

bighaydenslawn
01-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I carry a notebook with me as well that has invoices, receipts, bids, etc.

All bookwork I have set up on eXcel and just plug it in each night.

upnorth77
01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I have found after 2 years of trial and error that the key to organization is doing everything you need to everyday with regards to paperwork. Letting stuff pile up even for a couple days increases how long each job takes because it all gets mixed up. If you do everything you need to done on a daily basis you never have that "huge pile of paperwork" on the desk that you have to get to but never do. It also never gets overwhelming. Seems like a simple concept but it took me 2 years to get it down.