PDA

View Full Version : new to the mowing business

flyingdutch16
01-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce my self to this forum.
I'm 14 years old and i'm trying to make some money so I can pay for my car when i'm 16. I started mowing/edging/leaf blowing since i was 10 I first did it with a push mower, but then we moved and my dad bought a cheap craftsman lt 2000 lawn mower which is okay. But you can't really cut your neighbors grass with it, so im looking for a zero turn mower, either a husqvarna or toro, but I don't know which one I should buy.

If you guys have any tips then your totally welcome!

Thanks

DLAWNS
01-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite!

JFGauvreau
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the site ! enjoy!

flyingdutch16
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks, i made an error im actually 15

and do you guys have any tips or suggestions that should know?
Posted via Mobile Device

JFGauvreau
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
About mowing? just search the forums there is tons of tips, or create a new thread in the right section and you will get many answers.

Yater
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce my self to this forum.
I'm 14 years old and i'm trying to make some money so I can pay for my car when i'm 16. I started mowing/edging/leaf blowing since i was 10 I first did it with a push mower, but then we moved and my dad bought a cheap craftsman lt 2000 lawn mower which is okay. But you can't really cut your neighbors grass with it, so im looking for a zero turn mower, either a husqvarna or toro, but I don't know which one I should buy.

If you guys have any tips then your totally welcome!

Thanks

Why can't you cut the neighbor's grass with a lawn tractor? You can't drive yet, so you don't have to worry about having too many accounts. That ztr will set you back several years on your car purchase, and you sure as hell won't make any money without a truck. I say use the current mower, buy a truck, and then worry about a bigger/better mower.

BTW, you don't need a ztr at all. A $1500 walk behind will last you until you're tired of cutting lawns.

jeffslawnservice
01-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the site. I'm 17 so were pretty close in age. I'll give you some quick advice that I had gotten. First like someone said before, you don't need a brand new big ZTR. I used a push mower for my first year in buisness. Commercial equipment is 10x better than homeowner crap but don't go out and waste a couple hundred if not thousands on commercial equipment right off the bat. Look for used commerical equipment its probably your best bet. It you cant find anything used and money is tight you might be able to get away with using homeowner grade equipment for a year until you make some more money to buy some commercial equipment. Don't charge less or lowball. If the going rate for a lawn in your area is $10 (Even though I know its not) don't charge $5. You can charge $8 just to get a few customers so that they can see that you do good work but make sure to raise that price after a year or two. My last tip is search the forums if you have a question and as a last resort if you can't find any info on it then start a thread and ask the question. Alot of the older guys don't like kids like us that start landscape businesses. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a message. Best of luck this year and sorry for the long post. One more thing is I saw that you are trying to buy a car, don't buy a ZTR use the lawn tractor. I am planning to go to college next year and plan to finance that with the money I get from working. So since I plan on doing that I really dont plan on making alot of big purchases until i have college all paid off. So I wont really be buying much stuff for a few years.

BearWise Landscapers
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Good luck with your business!

Let us know when you pick up new accounts and as you grow what decisions you make...

RDS
01-09-2010, 09:03 PM
What I did when I was starting up was I bought an older walk behind that was in rough shape. I got it for $350 but I probably put $300 into it. So now for $600 I have a commercial walk behind that runs perfect. Most of my friends that are in the buisness buy new equipment and they have more issues then i do with mine.

Premier landscaping south
01-09-2010, 10:05 PM
First of all go thank you parents for teaching you to work for some of your needs instead of them paying for everything you want. Many kids your age are lazy and would rather play video games all afternoon. This experience will make you a better person in the future. You will have a better appreciation for things you earn than the things that were gave to you.

Work smart, not harder.

Dress and act professional.

Eye and ear protection!

Be responsible with your finances. Try to pay everything with cash. Please take this to heart. I made bad choices with money and still to this day am recovering. Their is a reason why Jesus talked about money more than any other subject.

Good luck & welcome

drpepperinacan
01-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks, i made an error im actually 15

and do you guys have any tips or suggestions that should know?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was also ten when I started mowing and on monday I'll be 19, I first started helping my older brother mow my neighbors yard , then I started mowing the neighbor on the other side of our house and have built it up ever since. now I have 27 properties that I maintain. I would definitely stick with the riding mower for now though. I have made alot of money over the years but it all went right back into the buisness(mostly the eqiupment!) I would wait until you had atleast 20 customers before you considered getting a zero turn. heck, last summer I was still driving a riding mower around the nieghborhood and I was mowing 32 yards but the recciession changed that by the next spring as I was back down to 20 customers , then I gained some back and lost some more, now I have 27. even this summer I just barely scraped by with my riding mower and only recently aqiured a very old walk behing that needs alot of work. the best thing you can do is keep your customers happy and atleast make them feel like they are getting a good deal . keeping the customers happy and the most important thing you can do for your business. If you do get a zero turn, make sure it's a commercial grade zero turn mower, a residential grade won't hold up as long , and the commercial one will be more reliable. If you can get somebody to finance so equipment when you have more customers you would be set. thats my whole problem none of my family members can or aren't willing to co-sign on a loan to finance me better eqiupment so I have to save up and buy one piece of equipment at a time. you can also provide lots of other services than mowing to your customers so that you can keep making money in the winter or when there is a drought. you can rake leaves, shovel snow, clean houses, bush trimming, brush removal, pressure washing, and much more . also , take good care of your equipment and it will take care of you. keep up the good work!