PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Equipment Pics....

stxkyboy
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Thought you all might like some of the pics I found on a local companies website. Some pretty unique stuff. The group, storm team, derailment, and construction headings are best. The guy who owns it is fairly young and started it himself.

Enjoy happy new year

http://www.rjcorman.com/gallery.html

KrayzKajun
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
sweet find!! some really kool equipment!

Krafty
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Wow thoese are some incredible pictures. That much be a huge company. That one of the peterbuilts all lined up was the best.

bobcat_ron
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
What a website, I love their layout, I have never seen such a dedicated clean up company for a rail road.

Junior M
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
thats awesome!

Scag48
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Great photos, thanks for the link!

curtisfarmer
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Hulcher is the other big cleaup crew. Pretty amazing what they do to wrecks to clear the line. If it is a main line they just eat the cars with huge excavators and man handle them with dozers to just simply get them out of the way to relay the track asap. The costs of delays and blocked lines, which cost huge $ when you have to detour over another RRs lines, far outway the cost of a few cars which could be saved if time allowed. RJ Corman also runs their own RR, build genset locos, and other RR contracting.

mudmaker
01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
They must make some good money to run two helicopters, a Learjet and Challenger!!

RedRebel
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow awesome find!!
Thanks!!

AEL
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Yea some one is making good coin!

Dieselnut
01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow that company has a lot of equipment. Must be rolling to have all the aircrafts. Did you see the pics of the shop and headquarters. Its huge.

ioilyouin
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I think the biggest statement of their wealth is the fact that they have a functional steamer. That's big money.

93turbo
01-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Thats so weird just the other day I passed about 8 of their trucks rolling up the free way with a few of those side booms and some other equipment

DirtMerchant
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Railroading is big dollar business. When I worked for CP I had the pleasure of running two of those railpower units on a switch job out of alyth in Calgary. They were pretty neat machines. Nothing beats the sounds of an old sd-40 starting up. Or the two gp-38's I spent the majority of my time there on.

DirtMerchant
01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Hurricane Katrina photos are pretty rad

Gravel Rat
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Ron you better send them a resume :drinkup:

Very interesting pictures that company is pretty big. Good place for Ron to work he could take JD with him they both love trains and working with heavy equipment.

curtisfarmer
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Look at the 5th picture under Old Steamy section. They are using track loaders with full buckets to hold down the counterweights of the sidebooms while lifting the loco. :weightlifter:

Omran&Turbo
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Rjcorman, is one of the wealthiest guy in the USA he lives in Nichlosville KY 10 miles for lexington, it is about 60 miles from here, I was around his properties one time and I got just ammmmmmaized of all the high $$$$ stuff they have.
Ieven seen one of his CAT excavater has extra rolls to operateon rail roads, tha was cool.

BigDigger
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Typically a company needs 100 million in the bank to even justify/afford a company jet like the challenger. This has nothing to do with actual plane cost so much, but rather the cost of the flight department, maint etc. justifying the cost over normal commercial air travel is REALLY hard to do. Add to that a Lear jet and a couple heli's1!!!!

The short of this post? sweet mothers milk These guys are freaking rolling in it.

Mowingman
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
R.J. corman is the SECOND biggest derailment contractor. Hulcher Services is quite a bit larger. Hulcher actually invented the sideboom method of rerailing cars and locomotives. Their headquarters is here in our town. They are not quite as well known by the general public as R.J. Corman. Partly because they do not operate railroads, and partly because they keep a very low profile.
Depending on the economy and how the rail business is doing, Hulcher can have as many as 40 or more divisions, (shops) open and serving customers.
Hulcher is also very big in the environmental cleanup/hazmat response business.
I have been to the Hulcher office many times, and had the opportunity to go to some of their wreck cleanups. The office is small and unassuming for such a large company. The work is very interesting to watch.
Hulcher has a nice website www.hulcher.com
Another derailment cleanup company is Cranemasters. They only serve a small region of the country, but have a neat website with videos
www.cranemasters.com I think.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Hulcher Services seems to be more down to business they a definatly more low profile looking but probably do more work.

RJ Corman seems to be too flashy everything has to scream look at me they would have to be very carefull about making any mistakes.

riverwalklandscaping
01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I just read RJ only has revenue of 73 million a year.. hard to be the one of the richest people in the USA on the take home from that (probably ~ 7 to 10 mil a year)

RipT
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Some neat videos from the Cranemaster site:

http://cranemasters.com/?page_id=169

wcoltharp
01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow, these are some of the most interesting websites I have come across in a long time! Thanks for the heads up on these.

The video page is very cool because you can listen to the radio traffic of the crews while the lift/video is playing out. Awesome perspective on jobs that I had never even thought to exist. It sounds ignorant but without ever actually witnessing a derailment situation, etc. , I seemed to have overlooked the "what ifs" involved in the RR industry. This is very very interesting stuff!

Mowingman
01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
If you go to youtube, and searh for "Hulcher", you will find quite a few short videos of their equipment in action at various wrecks.

wcoltharp
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
You are right and I might even go as far as to say there are better recovery videos on Youtube! Thanks for the info.