PDA

View Full Version : Favorite plant or shrub?

robert payer
05-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Post your favorite plant, shrub or combo's.

Personaly like the Hydrangea Annabelle plant a lot. Does any one have a plant or shrub combination for this Hydrangea that looks good together.

Great combo: Crimson Pygmy Berberis planted with Coreopsis Moonbeam. Red and Yellow! Shrub and Perennial. Looks great together.

Leaving for the weekend will post more next week. Sorry about this partial post. Just anxious to hear others.

Thanks!

heygrassman
05-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Prevoskia (Russian Sage) - wonderful aroma, poor soil tolerant, part shade to full sun tolerant, pleasing purple flowers that will come 2-3 times per season if you prune after bloom.

Threaded in with Euoymous, barberry, Corral Bells, Purple Plum, Azaleas, etc.. it can be quite nice.

Grabbed this from the Springhills Nursery site:

diginahole
05-24-2002, 10:40 PM
My favourite combo is a Weeping cutleaf Japanese Red Maple with a nice armourstone and river stone.

Favourite trees include Gingko, Beech, Pyramid Oak, Locust.

Perennials, no contest.... Hosta

Evergreens... Blue rug or Tams, Mughos, just about any Cypress, Blue spruce, Spanish Bayonet, Eponymous Emerald and Gold

Shrubs... Purple Sandcherry, Silverleaf Dogwood, Wegilia, Lilac, Sumac in the right place

Tulips, daffys, crocus, climbing hydrangea, honeysuckle, iris, lilies, daylilies, Japanese painted fern, impatients, begonias, castor beans, cannas, elephant ears, a really cool annual I plant every year that I can't think of right now... it grows about 4 or five feet tall has pink or white flowers I think it starts with an 's' or a 'c'.... damn I can't think of it

oh I forgot... Japanese Angelica looks as cool in the winter as in the summer.

Oh ****, it is easier to come up with a short list of things I don't like.... Mountbattens... I haven't sold one of those beasts in a long time and can't really imagine ever selling one again.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
05-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Burning bush with Yellow cypress
Great color in fall, Use spring bulbbs around the burning bushes
to compensate

Stonehenge
05-26-2002, 01:18 PM
I just love mass plantings of Ajuga Reptans 'Bronze Beauty'. Very low ground cover with flower spikes in spring (and sometimes fall, too), with chubby green and purple foliage all season. They're in bloom in my yard right now, and I can't get enough of those full little spikes of bluish-violet blooms.

Looks great with anything with pink, yellow, orange or white blooms.

LeoS818
05-26-2002, 03:32 PM
Purple fountain grass with the yellow and pink Lantana

Lanelle
05-26-2002, 03:32 PM
I'm wondering if the annual you are referring to is Cleome, also known as Spiderflower. It is one of my favorite annuals, partly because it re-seeds itself but also because the color is so wonderful in the late afternoon and early evening. I also enjoy Nicotiana Sylvestris which is fragrant in the evening and Moon flower for the same reason. For shrubs, one of my favorites is Nandina. Both the standard Domestica and the smaller ones such as Gulfstream and Harbor Dwarf.

CSRA Landscaping
05-26-2002, 03:37 PM
Favorite combo:
Firepower dwarf nandina with dwarf gardenias bordered by stella d'oro's with cypress mulch, bed border is a low fieldstone wall (6-10").

I also like cannas.

kris
05-26-2002, 04:03 PM
The money tree ...goes well with hard work

ohiolawnguy
05-26-2002, 04:22 PM
trees: japanese maple, japanese dogwood, sweet bay magnolia

annuals: double impatiens, marigolds

perennials: snow on the mountain(don't know the common name), zebra fountain grass

shrubs: vibernum, PJM rhododendron

most hated plants: barberry, honey locust trees, and any type of poplar tree

steveair
05-26-2002, 10:00 PM
harry lauder's walking stick/contorted filbert (Corylus avellan 'contorta')

Don't know why, but I just think its funny looking. We had 2 of them at college at the entrance of one of my classroom buildings. I always enjoyed looking at them in the winter time.

I don't know why, but I really like plain old, everyday burning bush too.....but mainly in the winter when they have no leaves. The stems are just cool looking, as they look like a miniature 'construction site' with all the wings on the branches and what not.

steve

diginahole
05-27-2002, 06:05 AM
Lanelle
Cleome was it, thanks.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
05-27-2002, 09:32 AM
Plum tree, Weeping cherry, Hollywood Juniper, Gold thread leaf cypress, Crimson Pigmy Barberry, Cotonester, Blue rug and blue star Junipers, Rhodis, Purple fountain grass, Maiden grass, Japanese blood grass,
I like em all......... as long as they dont die on me, then I dont like em.....

AGLA
05-27-2002, 01:09 PM
Nikko Blue Hydrangeas with Royal Bonica Roses for summer color...baby blue with soft pink that continues from June to November.

Ssouth
05-28-2002, 09:28 PM
By far, my favorite tree is the dwarf featherleaf Jap. maple. Here is one in my yard. This one's common name is a Red Select. I also have a Crimson Queen but couln't get a good pic. This pic isn't good. The tree is about 2.5' tall and is about 4-5 yrs. old.

Planter
05-29-2002, 01:23 AM
Tri-color Beech

Favorite combination is Baker's Blue Spruce and burning bush

KenH
06-02-2002, 08:33 PM
I second the tricolor---- Also the red leaf birch. (Crimson Frost),
Weeping Purple Beech,
Weeping Atlas Cedar

and Im realizing there are too many to mention.

Pelican
06-02-2002, 11:04 PM
I think the rhododendruns offer the most bang for the buck. Fairly inexpensive, very hardy, fast growing, lots of beautiful color in the spring. Only downside, not everbearing and deer really tear them up.

I'm very fond of flowering dogwood trees, although they seem to be a little finicky in their care.

prairie
06-03-2002, 05:50 PM
trees- Jap. maple and ketl. junipers
shrubs- Crimson Barberry
and the best of all liriope and coriopsis #1 favorites

bobbygedd
06-06-2002, 10:39 PM
yes, i saw the tri colored beech for the first time a few weeks ago, awsome tree. anyone know how tall they grow? also i like to use daylillies for long lasting color. plum trees, bloodgood maple, pygmy crimson, gold thread cypress, gold euonomous.........anyone ever hear of an "ice plant?" awsome looking low growing perenial, purple blooms, excelent in rockeries

robert payer
06-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Good response to this tread! Does any one know of a great plant or shrub to companion plant with the Annabelle Hydrangea?

KenH
06-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Ive seen a 40' Tricolor...not sure how old though.