PDA

View Full Version : Vts

tthomass
01-05-2010, 03:29 AM
So for some reason I get no results when searching VTS....??

I currently run a T190 and looking to go with something like a S300 with VTS. I'm open to CAT too, such as a 262. I thought about a T300 or T250 but I like the versatility of the VTS and the shape the tracks have is more functional.

Why not go VTS?

How does CAT and Bobcat compare when it comes to repairs? CAT more $? I assume drive motors are about the only concern of replacement on the machines since they have no idler wheels etc. Change the oil and filters and the rest should take care of itself.

Premier Landscaping
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I run cat with VTS. The main reason I run cat is that once I got used to the pilots back in 03 I could not go back to any other control style. I know almost all the other manufacturers have pilots now, but I have had zero problems with cat or my dealer so in my mind right now I have no reason to switch.

I bought my first machine when I went out on my own new a 252B I got talked out of tracks by everyone saying so much maintenance and repairs etc etc... But after the first year that was all I could take I had to rent a track machine three times just to do jobs that year that I couldn't do with mine. So with buying the machine new and after the first year not being able to add a second machine, or willing to take the hit trading after a year for a track machine. I bought a used set of VTS. I paid $6500 for it and so far it is the best investment I have made. I have ran the machine 1000 hours now with the tracks on and 300 pre tracks so 1300 total. I have not had any problems with the VTS, just put a new set of tracks on it about 3 weeks ago for the first money I have spent on the VTS system. I have had zero problems with the machine as result of the tracks. Actually the only 2 problems I have had total with the machine is a .69 cent o ring for the auxillary hydraulics and a 4 dollar battery terminal.

I also this year bought a used 262B with VTS on it already. I put 300 hours on that machine this year and everything is great. I can see it had an axle replaced at some point in its life, but its ran great for me. It has about 1300 hours on the machine too not sure when it got its VTS system put on.

I also have a 242B with wheels. There is definately a need, and it is nice to have a wheeled unit for some applications, and I am fortunate now to be able to have multiple machines, but it is never used for grading or dirt applications. Mainly for dumping rock, moving pallets of sod after a track machine has done all the dirt prep so it can move on to the next job and not have to stay just to move pallets, retaining walls moving pallets and backfilling etc...

One note if you try cat I would try a 252 as well as a 262. For me personally I don't know if the extra power in the 262 is worth the extra fuel that it uses. The 252 imo has great power, and fuel economy for a machine of its size and capability.

tthomass
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Aside from power, I'm in need of lift capability, primarily, with a new machine. I went by me local CAT dealer and since a sales guy wasn't there, nobody cared to talk to me and look inconvenienced that I asked questions.

How much were your new tracks?

What did the 262 with VTS set you back? $25k?

ksss
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Aside from power, I'm in need of lift capability, primarily, with a new machine. I went by me local CAT dealer and since a sales guy wasn't there, nobody cared to talk to me and look inconvenienced that I asked questions.

You will pay an MSRP for a set to fit that size machine in the range of 13-15K. I and some others have been able to find much better deals. I paid 5250 for a new set, still on the pallet on Iron Planet. I have them on a CASE 440. You will see an increase in ROC when you put the VTS on. They weigh about 1600 pounds per side.

Other than the width the VTS is a great way to get tracks without all of the associated costs. They ride nice. The newer tread designs are better than the older. I actually cant wait to replace my old tread design for one that produces less vibration.

I agree with Premier in having both wheeled and tracked options are the best of both worlds. I think the life of the tracks and machine are greatly extended when your not running them on jobs that are better suited for tires.

KRtraxx who shows up here occasionally seems to have good connections on getting VTS systems.

NEUSWEDE
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree with the rest of the guys VTS is a great way to go. If you look around on here guys have breaks downs on their tracks on dedicated track machine and loose time due to getting parts. With VTS you can pull them and run tires and do another job and not loose time. Also I think the traction is better than a dedicated track machine. I was sold the first time I ran my VTS on my Gehl.

Any Machine will handle the VTS nice I think just like buying any other machine is all a matter of preference and dealer support. Also if your in no rush might want to poke around on ironplanet as they usually have used sets of VTS from time to time. That is where I found mine for $3500 and they had about 50% wear at the time and have more than made my money back on them. I need to run tires in the winter for snow so this was my only options but I think it is the best option.

stuvecorp
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

I run VTS on a Case 440(highly recommend), I got the VTS on an older machines which I used for two seasons. The cool part is I traded in the old machine and kept the tracks for the new machine. I have had no problems with the VTS, I don't know how many hours are one them. I love them for lifting, unloading block or pavers is much easier and safer. They are also very nice riding. Look on Craigslist, Ebay or Iron Planet for a cheaper set, or talk to Dale at KRTraxx about them.

tthomass
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Whats ROC again? I actually used to know that one but I guess I'm getting old now.

How much are a set of tracks for the VTS?

I'm not buying new, no need to.

KTM
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Check your dealer to see if they will warranty the skid with VTS. They are a good idea, but as stated above 1600 a side and only your back wheels are turning them. In my opinion that is to much stress for heavy excavating. For occasional excavating and landscaping you should be good.

stuvecorp
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Check your dealer to see if they will warranty the skid with VTS. They are a good idea, but as stated above 1600 a side and only your back wheels are turning them. In my opinion that is to much stress for heavy excavating. For occasional excavating and landscaping you should be good.

That is a good point and I think it depends on your dealer. I use my skid like a little dozer but have decided if something breaks so be it.

The 440 is around 2200 I think? It lifts way more, I can move two pallets of Versa-Lok around on the ground(approx4300#).

treemover
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
From what I gather talking to people down here that have vts

Here are my opinions
1. If you are doing a lot of grading you will have to get used to the bucket angle, since the added track height of the vts or change the mounting plate on your bucket.

2. Travel speed is slower

3 (my biggest concern) The added stress on the driveline. you have all the power running on one chain since the front are just idlers. I have broken my share of chains with just running ot tracks. Then you have the upkeep of a skid and vts.

Couple other conclusions I have made, you hear all of these manufactures saying that there track machines are not just skid steers with tracks added to them(I think takki started that) they are designed from the ground up. Point to take in consideration with vts. Also in general I think mtl/ctls have gone through their "awkward" stage, they are fairly new machines in general, so I think all the manufactures will have vast improvements on these machines.
And yes, VTS can be used on a different machine if you trade in and it will give an option to run tires if need be.
(side note*) Was in KC this weekend and it snowed, I was surprised to see all the tracked machines pushing snow since you apparently you cant. Saw a couple BC 250 and takki 140's with 10'pushers pushing the hell out of the snow. Very impressed!

Good luck reading this and hope my mind didnt outrun my typing skills

tthomass
01-05-2010, 03:55 PM
What is the difference......flow/power......of the single pump on say a T300 vs the single drive motor you'll be running on one side of the S300? By simple math thinking.....50% since you have two drive motors with the S300 on one side.

treemover
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
if you are referencing my post....I would say no loss in power or flow. you are just sending all the power thru one wheel on each something it was not designed to do. In my opinion that is going to be a problem area down the road. Also not sure on the differences but I am fairly certain track loader loaders use gears in their finals and I dont think skids do.

I was kicking around vts to, but I think if you use track more than 50% of the time a dedicated track machine is the way to go

ksss
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I was and still am somewhat concerned about driving off of one axle. I have not yet seen a problem but there is always that possibility. However CTL's are not immune to drive problems either and they are designed to run off of one drive motor. I was told by one high ranking BC engineer a couple years ago that there currently is not a great options available for drive motors on the market available for OEM use. Probably something to that since every color seems to have issues with drive motors.

I don't think that running VTS has shown to kill a skid steer. Are there failures? Sure there are. Like anything else if your try, you could break a VTS equipped skid steer. CAT has a VTS option on their C series. It basically removes the 2 speed as an option, however that skid steer still drives the VTS off of one axle. So if you can trust CAT (I don't really but never the less) they are comfortable enough to offer a skid steer that is VTS ready. If the worst that happened is you snapped a chain that is not the end of the world. Taking out a drive motor would suck and about the worst you could expect to happen. I would still bet that regardless of the color a drive motor for a skid steer would be cheaper than a drive for a CTL.

It is too bad that the VTS did not have a front toothed sprocket to drive the front as well. It would make me feel better. Never seen that done in any similiar application but given that the drive is already in place on the wheeled skid steer it would seem to be rather easy to do. How it would perform I don't know, but would seem to put to rest peoples concerns about running off of only one axle.

AWJ Services
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I was and still am somewhat concerned about driving off of one axle. I have not yet seen a problem but there is always that possibility. However CTL's are not immune to drive problems either and they are designed to run off of one drive motor. I was told by one high ranking BC engineer a couple years ago that there currently is not a great options available for drive motors on the market available for OEM use. Probably something to that since every color seems to have issues with drive motors.

I don't think that running VTS has shown to kill a skid steer. Are there failures? Sure there are. Like anything else if your try, you could break a VTS equipped skid steer. CAT has a VTS option on their C series. It basically removes the 2 speed as an option, however that skid steer still drives the VTS off of one axle. So if you can trust CAT (I don't really but never the less) they are comfortable enough to offer a skid steer that is VTS ready. If the worst that happened is you snapped a chain that is not the end of the world. Taking out a drive motor would suck and about the worst you could expect to happen. I would still bet that regardless of the color a drive motor for a skid steer would be cheaper than a drive for a CTL.

It is too bad that the VTS did not have a front toothed sprocket to drive the front as well. It would make me feel better. Never seen that done in any similiar application but given that the drive is already in place on the wheeled skid steer it would seem to be rather easy to do. How it would perform I don't know, but would seem to put to rest peoples concerns about running off of only one axle.

Takeuchi here does not have a high occurence of drive motor failures however it may be different in other areas.

I will take a page from KSSS and ask whats the operating costs of the VTS.
I know the answer is "No one knows" since they are so new to the market but I still see people blindly using them and billing hours with them anyway.:)
Kinda hard to run a buisness without knowing what your operating expenses are?:nono:

ksss
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Takeuchi here does not have a high occurence of drive motor failures however it may be different in other areas.

I will take a page from KSSS and ask whats the operating costs of the VTS.
I know the answer is "No one knows" since they are so new to the market but I still see people blindly using them and billing hours with them anyway.:)
Kinda hard to run a buisness without knowing what your operating expenses are?:nono:

I used the same cost per hour as I found others use for a CTL. $5.00 an hour. I figured 2.50 for tracks and 2.50 for associated wear and or replacement of VTS components. Not sure what others are doing. ..............Are you being sarcastic? or am I just overly sensitive?:waving:

Construct'O
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a few question,how does the skids turn with the VTS systems,since they add over 3000 lbs more to the machine .Can you spin it right around and head back or is it always a three point turn?Boggy turns or what?

As for me the open topped rollers would be a problem,because of muddy condition,cold weather,and keeping cleaned out.The CTL the covered roller frame is a big plus when it comes to cleaning.As like now the snow mud and stuff falls down on top of the rollers and down between where they turn.

If in freezing conditon i see that as and issue,one of the biggest for the MTL machines.Have to power wash it or take it back to heated shop.Something i havn't had to do as of yet.I clean tracks year round tho,no matter if full mud or just a few dry clods!

Also i was looking at getting a Case 465 this fall and putting on a set of VTS,but sold my other trenchers and won't go that route.Anyway there is big frame units right and small frame?

Ironplanet had models VTS L59(left) and R59(right) on one auction.They went for around $7600,next auction the one i missed of course they had model L60+R60.They was right here in Iowa like new and only brought 2300:cry: I was busy working missed out.Went to Calif.These was here on their last few auction.The was running a set for sale nearly every sale this fall.I was watching.

So would those have fit the 465? Also next week a set sold in Minn. that for a Bobcat S300 they had wheel adapters that went with them,so Bobcat machine owner for big frame machine must need these?

They went for like $4600???? I thought they was the model 60,so would they work on other big frame machine just don't need the wheel adapters.

Stu,Ksss, can you answer?Rock what model number is on your machine i was thinking it was small frame and took different model???? :usflag:

NEUSWEDE
01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a few question,how does the skids turn with the VTS systems,since they add over 3000 lbs more to the machine .Can you spin it right around and head back or is it always a three point turn?Boggy turns or what?

As for me the open topped rollers would be a problem,because of muddy condition,cold weather,and keeping cleaned out.The CTL the covered roller frame is a big plus when it comes to cleaning.As like now the snow mud and stuff falls down on top of the rollers and down between where they turn.

If in freezing conditon i see that as and issue,one of the biggest for the MTL machines.Have to power wash it or take it back to heated shop.Something i havn't had to do as of yet.I clean tracks year round tho,no matter if full mud or just a few dry clods!

Also i was looking at getting a Case 465 this fall and putting on a set of VTS,but sold my other trenchers and won't go that route.Anyway there is big frame units right and small frame?

Ironplanet had models VTS L59(left) and R59(right) on one auction.They went for around $7600,next auction the one i missed of course they had model L60+R60.They was right here in Iowa like new and only brought 2300:cry: I was busy working missed out.Went to Calif.These was here on their last few auction.The was running a set for sale nearly every sale this fall.I was watching.

So would those have fit the 465? Also next week a set sold in Minn. that for a Bobcat S300 they had wheel adapters that went with them,so Bobcat machine owner for big frame machine must need these?

They went for like $4600???? I thought they was the model 60,so would they work on other big frame machine just don't need the wheel adapters.

Stu,Ksss, can you answer?Rock what model number is on your machine i was thinking it was small frame and took different model???? :usflag:

Here is a link to the spec sheet for VTS from loegering a case 465 needs vts 60. The number corresponds to the links. Longer wheelbase more links. You can use this so you know what you need. The wheel spacers are needed to set the tracks out since tracks are not model specific.
http://www.loegering.com/data/upfiles/Spec%20sheet.pdf
good luck

on ironplanet for future reference you can priority bid so you can enter your highest bid before the auction so even if your not around it will bid for you.

AWJ Services
01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I used the same cost per hour as I found others use for a CTL. $5.00 an hour. I figured 2.50 for tracks and 2.50 for associated wear and or replacement of VTS components. Not sure what others are doing. ..............Are you being sarcastic? or am I just overly sensitive?:waving:

It is cold and I am staying inside to much so I am trying to incite a riot.LOL

Construct'O
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Neu thanks for the link,but is Bobcat the only one that needs the adapters?

Priortiy bit thing i always wonder are they using my bid to run up the auction item,probabaly not ,but just like to do the real time auction thing:).

Some places it cost you 2% or more to do a proxy bid.Not always worth it to me.Lot of the auction add on 2% or more if not over 2500 dollars Ritchie for one.

NEUSWEDE
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Priortiy bit thing i always wonder are they using my bid to run up the auction item,probabaly not ,but just like to do the real time auction thing:).

Some places it cost you 2% or more to do a proxy bid.Not always worth it to me.Lot of the auction add on 2% or more if not over 2500 dollars Ritchie for one.

Nope more then bobcat need spacers, If you look on that PDF the second to last column is the part number for spacers if it has a 0 not spacer is needed looks like catapillar needs them and a few other brands. The 465 doesn't need them. The spacer is just needed probably based up the back spacing of the wheel.

I always thought about that too for the bidding but if you want it and put in a price that you wouldn't mind paying and get it and didn't loose work time it pays off. I have bid from my blackberry before while I was working, paid off ask I got a smoking deal on an 84" harley rake that I needed.

stuvecorp
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
My big plug for the VTS is the performance and ride of a MTL and the ability to take off the tracks if it needed. I am likely to lose more money on the Mustang than I lost using three regular skids, just saying. There has been some axle issues here with the smaller Case and VTS but it was not owner operator companies.

Denny, I like that 465/VTS idea!Thumbs Up Down the road I hope to have one like that. I think my VTS is a 56 link? I could use this frame(large frame) and get new tracks and it could work after being reconfigured. I know of a place that had a VTS for sale for a 465/95XT in Minnesota if you are interested.

Premier Landscaping
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Construct'o It drives just like a normal CTL/MTL can spin around etc etc...

TTthomas I got my 262B with vts for about 24K with a new bucket didnt come with one. Had 1000 hours cab, heat, ac, hydraulic quick coupler, just single speed though.
Just a note not sure how much you need to lift but my 252B with Vts will easily lift 3500lb pallets off of a trailer. Can definately lift more with vts.

Replacement tracks are about the same price as any other CTL a rough estimate is 3500 a pair for 18 inch wide tracks give or take 500 either way depending on your supplier.

The drive axle is a concern of mine too, and I will be monitoring it as the hours go on. Chains are cheap and easy to replace if thats an issue. I am more worried about the drive motor and axles, but worst case I have called my cat dealer and a new drive motor installed is 3K. Has anyone had any issues or seen any first hand on this forum. I have heard a lot of people saying how bad it is, but have not read or heard horror stories from people that have actually had problems.

The width is an issue for some machines both of mine are 78 inches wide track to track so they still fit just fine between the wheel wells of any standard trailer which is nice.

ksss
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM

I was told this: All yellow machines Deere/CASE/CAT can all use the same tracks. White skid steers are different and don't interchange. Don't know if that is true any more or even ever was just what I was told some time ago. When I say the same, I as long as the link count is correct for the machine.

I am not sure what the link count is on mine. Stu, Swede and mine would all be the same.

ksss
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Construct'o It drives just like a normal CTL/MTL can spin around etc etc...

TTthomas I got my 262B with vts for about 24K with a new bucket didnt come with one. Had 1000 hours cab, heat, ac, hydraulic quick coupler, just single speed though.
Just a note not sure how much you need to lift but my 252B with Vts will easily lift 3500lb pallets off of a trailer. Can definately lift more with vts.

Replacement tracks are about the same price as any other CTL a rough estimate is 3500 a pair for 18 inch wide tracks give or take 500 either way depending on your supplier.

The drive axle is a concern of mine too, and I will be monitoring it as the hours go on. Chains are cheap and easy to replace if thats an issue. I am more worried about the drive motor and axles, but worst case I have called my cat dealer and a new drive motor installed is 3K. Has anyone had any issues or seen any first hand on this forum. I have heard a lot of people saying how bad it is, but have not read or heard horror stories from people that have actually had problems.

The width is an issue for some machines both of mine are 78 inches wide track to track so they still fit just fine between the wheel wells of any standard trailer which is nice.

I have never heard directly from someone with a problem regardless of color of machine. I am sure there are. What would be most interesting is to see how the VTS related failures compare to CTL related failures. Don't know how you could get that info or make a fair comparision between the two, but just like we have become used to CTL drive failures seeing some failures in VTS should not condem the whole system. If the failures become too numerous of course that is different. Don't think that is the case.

Construct'O
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
My big plug for the VTS is the performance and ride of a MTL and the ability to take off the tracks if it needed. I am likely to lose more money on the Mustang than I lost using three regular skids, just saying. There has been some axle issues here with the smaller Case and VTS but it was not owner operator companies.

Denny, I like that 465/VTS idea!Thumbs Up Down the road I hope to have one like that. I think my VTS is a 56 link? I could use this frame(large frame) and get new tracks and it could work after being reconfigured. I know of a place that had a VTS for sale for a 465/95XT in Minnesota if you are interested.

Stu so your saying your set up will work on large frame machine by taking off the tracks adjust the frame out and put longer tracks back on your track frame.What if i had bought the model 59 for the 465,would they still work by just adjusting.Or adjust and new track?

465 with VTS tracks will be 88" wide so if you was doing slot digging you would need a 90" bucket:dizzy:.For what i wanted to do not a issue, blade is 96" for backfilling.

Not sure if i'm getting this right?The pair in Iowa was the 60 model they was a steal,looked like new.Would have been the ones i needed for the 465 by the spec sheet.

The 465 was a 06 loaded had hyd quick coupler,2-speed,ride control,c/a/h,"SUPER" high flow??????? 875 hr. looked like new,they was asking 32,500 dropped it to 29,500 and was gone next time i checked on it.They dropped all the prices on their inventory,close too year end.

I was going to buy the machine first then get the track system,so when the machine left i quit looking.

Anyway since the other trenchers are gone now and if anything i need a dozer more since Alberta weighs in at 55,000 lbs,don't think a skid is going to be big enough to winch too for deadman,afraid too say.

Plus looks too be a muddy mess here this coming spring again,unless we get a big Jan. thaw which by the next few morning coming up doesn't look like that is going to happen soon.

So will your machine spin around pretty good?Not that i do, i still try doing the three point turn anytime i can(helpers also).My machine has 1400plus hours and still pretty good ,getting some weather stress,but the machine is 4 years old and coming up too five.Later:usflag:

YellowDogSVC
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
While we are talking about it, can someone explain how Iron Planet works and how you know you are getting a good set of whatever?

also, I noticed that any of you with large frame Bobcat (s220-s330), you will have a machine that's 83" wide. That's 10" wider than normal width! Wow!! I can forget VTS. I know my trailer isn't 83" between rails or if it is, it will be REAL close. Dang. Next option!

ksss
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
While we are talking about it, can someone explain how Iron Planet works and how you know you are getting a good set of whatever?

also, I noticed that any of you with large frame Bobcat (s220-s330), you will have a machine that's 83" wide. That's 10" wider than normal width! Wow!! I can forget VTS. I know my trailer isn't 83" between rails or if it is, it will be REAL close. Dang. Next option!

Don't give up too soon. Getting a different trailer would be cheaper than trading for a CTL.:cool2:

As far as Iron Planet, you get signed up to bid. There is an icon you can click on and it leads you through, no big deal. As far knowing your buying something worth something. Well some of it has a garrantee (some have posted its not worth the words that are used to create it) some of it is as is where is. Either way you kinda roll the dice, but most items have an inspection done so its not like your buying completely blind.

stuvecorp
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Stu so your saying your set up will work on large frame machine by taking off the tracks adjust the frame out and put longer tracks back on your track frame.What if i had bought the model 59 for the 465,would they still work by just adjusting.Or adjust and new track?

465 with VTS tracks will be 88" wide so if you was doing slot digging you would need a 90" bucket:dizzy:.For what i wanted to do not a issue, blade is 96" for backfilling.

Not sure if i'm getting this right?The pair in Iowa was the 60 model they was a steal,looked like new.Would have been the ones i needed for the 465 by the spec sheet.

The 465 was a 06 loaded had hyd quick coupler,2-speed,ride control,c/a/h,"SUPER" high flow??????? 875 hr. looked like new,they was asking 32,500 dropped it to 29,500 and was gone next time i checked on it.They dropped all the prices on their inventory,close too year end.

I was going to buy the machine first then get the track system,so when the machine left i quit looking.

Anyway since the other trenchers are gone now and if anything i need a dozer more since Alberta weighs in at 55,000 lbs,don't think a skid is going to be big enough to winch too for deadman,afraid too say.

Plus looks too be a muddy mess here this coming spring again,unless we get a big Jan. thaw which by the next few morning coming up doesn't look like that is going to happen soon.

So will your machine spin around pretty good?Not that i do, i still try doing the three point turn anytime i can(helpers also).My machine has 1400plus hours and still pretty good ,getting some weather stress,but the machine is 4 years old and coming up too five.Later:usflag:

That is how it was explained to me, that as long as it is a large frame VTS. That seems good price wise but I can see a dozer would be a better deadman(maybe a 850 or 1150 LGP?):) You can do 'powerturns', sometimes you just have to but I try not to.

YellowDogSVC
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Don't give up too soon. Getting a different trailer would be cheaper than trading for a CTL.:cool2:

funny how my mind doesn't work that way.. :) Get used to having THE trailer and it sticks around forever.

NEUSWEDE
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
funny how my mind doesn't work that way.. :) Get used to having THE trailer and it sticks around forever.

I'm 79" with the VTS the width between my fenders on my tilt trailer are 81" which gives me 2" and yes the fenders are banged up from hitting them but I like the tilt trailer might get a deck over some day but the tilt works.

Even if your skeptical find a mchine somewhere and try them, will atleast surprise you at how good they are.

YellowDogSVC
01-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm 79" with the VTS the width between my fenders on my tilt trailer are 81" which gives me 2" and yes the fenders are banged up from hitting them but I like the tilt trailer might get a deck over some day but the tilt works.

Even if your skeptical find a mchine somewhere and try them, will atleast surprise you at how good they are.

what machine do you have them on? and do you use an 80" bucket?

stuvecorp
01-05-2010, 11:56 PM

You could be describing my trailer...:cry:

NEUSWEDE
01-06-2010, 12:16 AM
what machine do you have them on? and do you use an 80" bucket?

I have a gehl 5640 turbo with 56 link vts. It will lift a pallet of stone on tires, even better on tracks. I run an 81" bradco HD high capacity bucket I think it is rated for 1.25 yards. I posted a picture on page one of this thread.

NEUSWEDE
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
You could be describing my trailer...:cry:

Stu I try my best but I like backing my machine on so every once in awhile I hit them ohh well.

stuvecorp
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Stu I try my best but I like backing my machine on so every once in awhile I hit them ohh well.

I also always back on, funny though it's always the one fender I hit.(:hammerhead: - Don't worry I'll keep this one - I've earned it.):)

P.Services
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
let me hop on while we talk about drive motors and ctls.

today i smelled a skunk after running my ct332 for about ten feet..... nope just 80w gear oil blown all over the ground and snow. After how many hours i got out of this planatary i should be happy right? 4000hrs...nope......400hrs nope 40hrs nope!! less then 40 hours of use and it blew the seal.

you know im just mad as all hell, i cant even describe how pi ssed i am. 90 day warranty and im at 120 days. Hopefully deere will step up to the plate and make this one right.

alco
01-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I don't blame you for being cheesed right off. I know I'd be livid! Here's hoping they'll step up and help out on this one.

crab
01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
i have blown alot more hoses on my 332 than i ever have on my 260,thats the price of production$

P.Services
01-06-2010, 01:00 AM
hoses? come again? we arnt talking about a 80 dollar hose im talking about a $5,000 dollar final drive and 20 hours of work to get it on and off. And this is the THIRD one this year!!

the machine has been used as a little forklift around the yard so its not hardly being used and it lives a very easy life these days (thus its being sold) anyone want it?

crab
01-06-2010, 01:05 AM
rest youre neck ,i had the 2 drive hoses blow in a wetland that was fun,get the cat1

Fieldman12
01-06-2010, 01:27 AM

today i smelled a skunk after running my ct332 for about ten feet..... nope just 80w gear oil blown all over the ground and snow. After how many hours i got out of this planatary i should be happy right? 4000hrs...nope......400hrs nope 40hrs nope!! less then 40 hours of use and it blew the seal.

you know im just mad as all hell, i cant even describe how pi ssed i am. 90 day warranty and im at 120 days. Hopefully deere will step up to the plate and make this one right.

Picasso, me and some buddies where talking about drive failures last week on the Deere and other brand CTL's. One guy that I know has a 332 and he said he was told by the Deere mechanic all the failures they where seeing was on the 322 machines. He said they where designed for a machine more like a 240 size. He said his 332 had no issues but his cousins 322 does have issues. I hope Deere steps up and helps you on the price. I know he said his cousin complained and they knocked some of the part price. I hope these issues are fixed on the new D series. Maybe a Deere sales guy or mechanic can answer these quesions for us?

tthomass
01-06-2010, 02:25 AM
So if I buy a Bobcat S300.........will I need to buy a larger bucket to run VTS?

Also, same issue or no for a CAT 262?

RockSet N' Grade
01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
tthomas.......the answer for me was yes. the vts increases the overall track width. I have 350 trouble free hours on my vts. I really like them. Constructo, I can do donuts, spins or a prefered Y turn. I have been using them this winter, they don't seem to like ice so much, and I have been practicing ice skating with my skid. I do not know about wear and tear of finals with vts.......another 350 hours or so I will report back. One thing I do not like is the replacement cost of tracks.....about $2k a piece for my machine from Loegering. They just raised their prices this year another $500 a track.......so, I am shopping pretty hard before I need them instead of shopping when I need them. The increased performance and comfort is night and day and I prefer this to tires hands down.

NEUSWEDE
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
So if I buy a Bobcat S300.........will I need to buy a larger bucket to run VTS?

with the bobcat s300 you'll be 83" wide so you will probably want atleast an 84" bucket and with the Cat 262 you'll be 78" wide so you could run an 80" bucket.

Good luck

MOREDIRT
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
hoses? come again? we arnt talking about a 80 dollar hose im talking about a $5,000 dollar final drive and 20 hours of work to get it on and off. And this is the THIRD one this year!!

the machine has been used as a little forklift around the yard so its not hardly being used and it lives a very easy life these days (thus its being sold) anyone want it?

Your machine has just had a hard life I saw it at the Deere dealer before you bought it in a hundred pieces covered in mud I asked what was wrong with the machine and the mechanic said the owner was using it to replace his 963 track loader. :hammerhead:

Junior M
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Your machine has just had a hard life I saw it at the Deere dealer before you bought it in a hundred pieces covered in mud I asked what was wrong with the machine and the mechanic said the owner was using it to replace his 963 track loader. :hammerhead:
noticed he said these days..

So its been used and abused in the past.. We can all vouch for that..

ksss
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I would buy the rode hard put a way wet theory if this was his first final he was replacing. How do you use that excuse on the third set this year?

Did you catch it before grinding the gears it into dust?

Junior M
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I would buy the rode hard put a way wet theory if this was his first final he was replacing. How do you use that excuse on the third set this year?

Did you catch it before grinding the gears it into dust?
I agree but still...

stuvecorp
01-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Well we have one for the 'When CTL's Attack' thread. Did you install it yourself?

ksss
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Well we have one for the 'When CTL's Attack' thread. Did you install it yourself?

That is funny

Caterkillar
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
If I were to do it again. I think I would buy a Cat 246 and put VTS on it. I have owned in the past a Cat 236, 246, 262, 262B, 257B, 267, Bobcat T190, S250, and Takeuchi TL150. My favorite out of all the machines was the 246 as far as performance. The 262B could hardly get out of its own way. I know the specs say it is rated to pick up more weight than the 246, but the 246 felt stronger. I have picked up 3500lbs with and offloaded wet sod off of semis with the 246.

You can buy VTS CHEAP now. I almost bought one set brand new(maybe 1-5 hours) for 5k shipped on ebay, but I backed out. There is a similar set on ebay that did not sell a few days ago, that they were asking $5500 and probably could be purchase for 5k shipped with a little negotiating.

I would be wary of buying new right now. As soon as your drive the thing off of the lot, it will depreciate 10-15k, whereas you can really beat someone up on buying a nice used one.

dirtybiz
01-06-2010, 11:28 PM

You need a 82-84" bucket for a s300 w/vts, don't ask me how i know!

RockSet N' Grade
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Found a set of replacement tracks (a pair) on ebay for $1,990.00. That is what Loegering wants for one track. Anyone ever buy rubber tracks from rubbertrackdepot? They offer tracks for mini's, ctl's, vts, etc......

NEUSWEDE
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
You need a 82-84" bucket for a s300 w/vts, don't ask me how i know!

Dirtybiz you had the set where the bolt stuck out further than the tracks and rubbed on the trailer right? Did you ever end up finding a solution for that?

stuvecorp
01-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Found a set of replacement tracks (a pair) on ebay for $1,990.00. That is what Loegering wants for one track. Anyone ever buy rubber tracks from rubbertrackdepot? They offer tracks for mini's, ctl's, vts, etc......

That does seem high.

Sam_French
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Has anybody seen a VTS on a John Deere /325/332?

Thank You

Sam

dirtybiz
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Dirtybiz you had the set where the bolt stuck out further than the tracks and rubbed on the trailer right? Did you ever end up finding a solution for that?

After i complained to loegering about the width of the machine being 82" plus the bolts sticking out another 3/4" on each side (when they told me the overall width of the machine w/tracks on was only going to be 80") they machined some bolts that shouldn't stick out any further than the tracks. I say should, because i have not had time to put them on yet (good winter project) as the machine pretty much spent the summer at two different jobs, and it was not a big deal. Even with the new bolts (if they work) it will be a VERY tight fit on any bumper pull trailer w/fenders as the standard width on them is 82" from my understanding.

Digdeep
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Picasso, me and some buddies where talking about drive failures last week on the Deere and other brand CTL's. One guy that I know has a 332 and he said he was told by the Deere mechanic all the failures they where seeing was on the 322 machines. He said they where designed for a machine more like a 240 size. He said his 332 had no issues but his cousins 322 does have issues. I hope Deere steps up and helps you on the price. I know he said his cousin complained and they knocked some of the part price. I hope these issues are fixed on the new D series. Maybe a Deere sales guy or mechanic can answer these quesions for us?

It seems strange that the issues would be on the 322 and not the 332 since they both use the exact same planetary drive. I would have thought the heavier machine would put more loads on the components.:confused: In any case. I hope that Deere steps up to the plate.

ksss
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
It seems strange that the issues would be on the 322 and not the 332 since they both use the exact same planetary drive. I would have thought the heavier machine would put more loads on the components.:confused: In any case. I hope that Deere steps up to the plate.

Yea that does not make any sense. The 322 seems to be more popular maybe they both have issues but because the 322 is more plentiful they are seeing more of this model in the shop?

Digdeep
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Yea that does not make any sense. The 322 seems to be more popular maybe they both have issues but because the 322 is more plentiful they are seeing more of this model in the shop?

Makes sense.