PDA

View Full Version : Going For It!?

GreenGuy12
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been in the telecom field for six years and I hate always being on the road. I used to mow some lawns as a kid and have always wanted to get into the business but afraid to make the jump. I live in upstate NY. When is the ideal time to go after lawn jobs/snow jobs for commercial? Is January the ideal time? Do most customers lump the lawn and snow jobs to one account per season? I have many more questions, and hopefully someone is willing to help me out. I'm 26 and have a 4 year old at home, and hate being on the road every week.

tinman
01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Good luck. I don't know about NY & snow but On average having your name out there on a regular basis is best. Then ramp up for big snows & for spring grass growth.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
... I would start it as a part time job and see if it's really something you want to do. Build up your customer base and eventually turn it into a full time job but your start up costs are going to be a lot more than your initial income. Make yourself a business plan so you know what you want to get out of it. If you go for the jump, good luck!

-Sam

GreenGuy12
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Guys thanks for the insight. I could ask thousands of questions right now but I'm not going to. The only problem with going part time for me is my current job, sometimes I'm on the road for two weeks at a time, and I feel that would prevent me from making my customers happy. I've been trying to think of marketing schemes that set me apart from the average guy, such as giving a percentage back to the school district. Just to kind of set me apart from everyone else. I've always wanted to do this, and now that I'm getting older, I feel that if I don't give it shot with everything I got, I'll regret it. Thanks again for your comments. Hope to hear from you guys again.

punt66
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
you will not gain enough clients to go fulltime overnight. So keep that in mind if you need money to live off of.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Maybe you could look into a different job that has to do with the Lawn Care Industry (Home Depot, Lowes, local hursery etc.) That way you can start accumulating your needed equipment at a discounted price, market to potential customers and keep a steady income. That's what my former boss did at Lowes, unfortunately he hasn't been able to grow his business into something full time yet.

I also work part time at the local ski hill and and get money for reserve drill weekends, and that's after 9 months of being in business.

If you want to chat at all, feel free to PM me. I'm not an expert but I know some stuff - Sam