PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Suspension question

bob
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a 16 foot dual axle trailer. The back axle has been riding in the bottomed out postion for a quit a while. Empty or full the trailer rides the ssame way. Heres a picture of the left side. And yes, I have a new tire ordered!

tyler_mott85
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
How level does the trailer sit when hooked up to the trailer. If the front is much higher than the back it will put more of the load on the rear axle therefore causing your problem. You may need to get a drop hitch on the truck to make the trailer as level as possible front to back.

topsites
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
That's what it sounds like, all the weight's getting on that rear axle which
is what's causing those tires to wear more than the fronts, I would second
the recommendation of checking the level of the trailer and possibly dropping
the front via a drop hitch by 1-2 inches (maybe more, might take some experimentation).

tyler_mott85
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Also make sure that your leaf springs are not broken, this can cause a sagging rear end.

CrystalCreek
01-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Also make sure that your leaf springs are not broken, this can cause a sagging rear end.

I hate a sagging rear end:confused::confused::confused: But in all seriousness, I would think of two things. First as mentioned check that the trailer is sitting level front to rear. The second is to make sure the bushing in that bar has not ceased up. I had this happen on one of my trailers. Drove around like that for a week before I found it happen. Had to use a torch to cut the bolts off, and drive out the remaining bolt with an impact chisel. Dis- assembled the rest of the bushing, replaced all rubber parts, greased heavily, and never had a problem since. Hope this helps with your sagging rear end:laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry, sometimes I cant help myself

bob
01-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Found out the problem.

Brad Ent
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Good one!!

Jason Rose
01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Holy smokes! I thought the Y yolks on MY trailer were worn out when I replaced them a year or so ago. Mine were just ate out and the nylon bushings were gone.

Were you eating tires fast?? My trailer was, actually it wasn't even tracking straight down the road anymore because of all the bushings being worn out the axles themselves weren't being held square anymore. Replaced everything (new bushings, all nuts and bolts, and Y yolks. What a difference!

ygim
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, I haven't seen that before, Good work finding that.

bob
01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
I had a preventive trailer inspection last year. When I dropped it off, I mentioned the way the trailer was riding. I guess they didn't bother to look at it. The other equalizer wasn't worn quite as far through.

ranger350
01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Shackles and equalizers are often overlooked, I replaced them on my one trailer after 4 years because the bolt hole in the shackle was visible past the nut. Glad you figured out the problem!

pclawncare
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Dang that wasnt worn out at all. No wonder it wasnt riding right