PDA

View Full Version : What kind of loading angle on trailer gates?

tyler_mott85
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
What is the maximum angle you would feel comfortable loading and unloading WB's from a trailer? Or pretty much any form of ramp?

I was thinking 30 degrees would be about max to feel comfortable but looks can be deceiving when looking at a protractor.

I am designing a ramp to attach to the back of my truck bed. The bed is 30 inches off the ground and I'm trying to figure out through a little Trig how long the ramp would need to be.

Thanks in advance!

motorscot
01-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I would really worry too much about the angle for a WB. If you can wheelie the thing without putting it through your rear window then you'll be fine. However, ZTR mowers aren't as forgiving and can't take a steep angle. Are you going to use a folding ramp? If not, you are going to have a really tall ramp riding around with you.

Do a search on folding ramps, I think that they will fit your needs and handle the angle question and the same time (might be worth the extra cash just for the ease of use)

South Florida Lawns
01-11-2010, 03:39 AM
What is the maximum angle you would feel comfortable loading and unloading WB's from a trailer? Or pretty much any form of ramp?

I was thinking 30 degrees would be about max to feel comfortable but looks can be deceiving when looking at a protractor.

I am designing a ramp to attach to the back of my truck bed. The bed is 30 inches off the ground and I'm trying to figure out through a little Trig how long the ramp would need to be.

Thanks in advance!

Take a cheap piece of ply wood and keep cutting it down till you are comfortable with the length and angle. Then you can measure the specs and fab one out of metal

rreyn1812
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I just put a 6 ft ramp on my trailer to preclude catching the deck as I load my ZTR and it is only 18 inches high at the rear. A 5 ft one might have worked, but I knew a 6 ft one would work for all the places I currently load from.